• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Redhill GWR Conductor Vacancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmsie

Yep, I applied in november and didn't get an interview so now have to wait until May

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Melissa Wilby

Fine, I passed but have to wait to see if I get shortlisted for next stage. Its not too bad but when you do the first exercise they only give you a couple of minutes which was a surprise as I don't think they warned us so when the instructor called time I'd only done about 30% of it. On the others I managed probably around 45%, there is no way you can complete it all so don't worry about that. Hav you thought about applying to Southern as an OBS
Hi, I have my assessment day on Thursday, i was wondering about the ticket selling test, can you take a calculator in with you or does it have to be worked out manually. I only ask as the practice material was quite easy to work out the calculations but I have read elsewhere the reaĺ test is alot harder. I would appreciate any feedback.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Hi, I have my assessment day on Thursday, i was wondering about the ticket selling test, can you take a calculator in with you or does it have to be worked out manually. I only ask as the practice material was quite easy to work out the calculations but I have read elsewhere the reaĺ test is alot harder. I would appreciate any feedback.

You won't have one on board, unless the new star mobile has the ability to tell you the correct change.

Melissa Wilby

You won't have one on board, unless the new star mobile has the ability to tell you the correct change.
Thankyou for your reply, I only ask as the practice papers seem very simple, I wasn't sure if the actual test would ask your to work out percentages etc or if it is pretty much the same as the practice. I am applying for the position of TM in Plymouth.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Thankyou for your reply, I only ask as the practice papers seem very simple, I wasn't sure if the actual test would ask your to work out percentages etc or if it is pretty much the same as the practice. I am applying for the position of TM in Plymouth.

The mathematical element of ticket checking is, afaik, about being able to determine if you've been given the right money and being able to give the correct change. Nothing too taxing

Melissa Wilby

The mathematical element of ticket checking is, afaik, about being able to determine if you've been given the right money and being able to give the correct change. Nothing too taxing
Thankyou, I purchased the how to become book and in there the equations were all about long calculations. I have been prepping for the last two weeks so let's hope I am successful. Many thanks.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The how2become books are generally regarded on this forum as a waste of time and money

Stigy

Established Member
The how2become books are generally regarded on this forum as a waste of time and money

I must admit I was told that the How2Become a Train Driver book was a good one, not just for driving jobs but recruitment advise in general. I was miffed to find it was very out dated and probably pre-2011 or whenever they assessments were updated (Average salary is also listed as about 38k for a driver, which points to the fact that it's quite old). That being said, the information contained in it about the psychometric testing is accurate enough as a guide on what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.