• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reduced service on West of England Line from 5th Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Being late when the timetable has a 50% allowance in would be really bad (though is still happening). The trains that did run before the change were rarely 1 hour late and so this has hardly been a huge improvement, except for staff and SWR not having to pay delay repay. So win-win for them and not much win for passengers past Yeovil.

It’s still a huge improvement on every train being 40-60 minutes late though. Delays are always going to happen but are much easier to recover naturally because of the dwell times in the timetable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xavi

This is assuming that SWR aren't having to pay a penalty fee to the DfT for not meeting their contract requirements for service frequency on the line.
I doubt it very much when the Network Rail infrastructure won’t allow them to do so.

Something needs to happen to get the hourly service back ASAP, this morning the 0817 arrival at Exeter Central needed train crew to walk the length of the train on the platform at each previous station to make sure it was safe to close the doors.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
This is assuming that SWR aren't having to pay a penalty fee to the DfT for not meeting their contract requirements for service frequency on the line.

The trains service requirements are based around full network availability. Operators are obliged to change the service pattern to accommodate Network Rail restrictions of use (commonly known as engineering works).

Oliver

What work, if any, is being done between Tisbury and Gillingham, or are we just waiting for lots more rain?
Interesting comments on the current service, but does anyone know what work, if any, is being done to the damaged trackbed?

andyc20050

Under the engineering works section on the SWR website it says the line between Salisbury and Yeovil Junction will be closed for 9 days from Sat 10 Dec to Sun 18 Dec.

Although this may be for a separate issue.

D7666

Originally NR said ‘October’ but no communication since the problem first arose.
Didn't they also say they need a lot of rain to soak the ground before they complete the work ?

There has not been "a lot" of rain; there has been rain yes, on odd days, but not the usual amount, never mind a lot.

Perhaps October was based on rainfall expectation that has not appeared ?

Bit ironic this section needs more rain to soak the ground to rectify, yet the Honiton tunnel area needed work this year on drainage.

Xavi

There has not been "a lot" of rain; there has been rain yes, on odd days, but not the usual amount, never mind a lot.
That’s incorrect, rainfall at the most relevant weather station Yeovilton was 121% of the 10-year rolling average in September. Not sure what rainfall Network rail was hoping for; I suspect they’ve taken the easy option of delaying repairs until December. I doubt the same decision would have been taken further east.

zwk500

Veteran Member
That’s incorrect, rainfall at the most relevant weather station Yeovilton was 121% of the 10-year rolling average in September. Not sure what rainfall Network rail was hoping for;
It's not just the total amount, but how it was delivered. The soil would have been rock hard before the first rain, so if it was heavy shower after heavy shower the rain will have just run off and very little will have soaked into the embankment. It would need a few days or more of steady drizzle to soften up, before it could even start to absorb any water. If there was excess rainfall it's also possible NR had/has to wait for the soil to dry out a little bit before it was/is stable enough to reshape the embankment.
I suspect they’ve taken the easy option of delaying repairs until December. I doubt the same decision would have been taken further east.
NR will be paying SWR a fortune for this infrastructure failure, they will want it fixed as fast as possible. If they've delayed works it's because they can't fix anything yet. This isn't some big London vs the regions conspiracy.

Xavi

It's not just the total amount, but how it was delivered. The soil would have been rock hard before the first rain, so if it was heavy shower after heavy shower the rain will have just run off and very little will have soaked into the embankment. It would need a few days or more of steady drizzle to soften up, before it could even start to absorb any water. If there was excess rainfall it's also possible NR had/has to wait for the soil to dry out a little bit before it was/is stable enough to reshape the embankment.
If NR require exact climatic conditions they could be in for a long wait! Trust me, there are engineering solutions available.
NR will be paying SWR a fortune for this infrastructure failure, they will want it fixed as fast as possible. If they've delayed works it's because they can't fix anything yet. This isn't some big London vs the regions conspiracy.
Not relevant - it’s a money-go-round these days with SWR on a cost-plus contract from DfT and NR funded by DfT (direct and via SWR).

zwk500

Veteran Member
If NR require exact climatic conditions they could be in for a long wait! Trust me, there are engineering solutions available.
There are, but if it's soil saturation levels that are required then NR will need a water source. Can't see the Water companies or Environment Agency overly keen to grant extraction licenses right now.
Not relevant - it’s a money-go-round these days with SWR on a cost-plus contract from DfT and NR funded by DfT (direct and via SWR).
It is relevant. It might well be a money go round but the budgets are all accounted for separately and each account manager has to answer for it. NR is very unlikely to be getting extra money from the DfT to cover the cost of this failure - it will be coming out of NR's reserve funds or by cutting back on other expenditure within the account manager's control.

Xavi

There are, but if it's soil saturation levels that are required then NR will need a water source. Can't see the Water companies or Environment Agency overly keen to grant extraction licenses right now.
Never mind 'if', there are solutions that could be implemented before mid-December.

It is relevant. It might well be a money go round but the budgets are all accounted for separately and each account manager has to answer for it. NR is very unlikely to be getting extra money from the DfT to cover the cost of this failure - it will be coming out of NR's reserve funds or by cutting back on other expenditure within the account manager's control.
Yes, money does move around, however, NR and SWR collaborated and agreed not to prioritise this failure, hence the lack of communication from SWR to reassure customers.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Never mind 'if', there are solutions that could be implemented before mid-December.
If there's the money and permissions in place....
Yes, money does move around, however, NR and SWR collaborated and agreed not to prioritise this failure, hence the lack of communication from SWR to reassure customers.
Do you have any evidence of a deliberate slowdown in the response?

Xavi

Do you have any evidence of a deliberate slowdown in the response?
Yes, alternate solutions could have been implemented sooner. NR is hoping to get away with nature doing its part and reballasting/ tamping.
If there's the money and permissions in place....
Decisions on which maintenance expenditure to prioritise are constantly updated. Similarly, annual track and S&C renewal work packages are amended where critical.

pompeyfan

Established Member
What are these alternative measures you keep mentioning and how much would they cost compared to keeping fingers and toes crossed for suitable amounts of rain?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Yes, alternate solutions could have been implemented sooner. NR is hoping to get away with nature doing its part and reballasting/ tamping.
Do you have any evidence that NR could have implemented anything sooner? NR can take what seems to outsiders to be an inexplicably long time even when going at full speed. Come to mention it, it can take an inexplicably long time to somebody involved in the project! By the way, for evidence you need something that demonstrates 1. NR are aware of the alternative and 2. NR took a deliberate decision not to pursue it, like meeting minutes. Not your conjecture.
Decisions on which maintenance expenditure to prioritise are constantly updated. Similarly, annual track and S&C renewal work packages are amended where critical.
Indeed, but if the job requires getting the permission of a different body (e.g. the Environment Agency, local authority), who have different targets and legal responsibilities, then NR cannot simply turn up and get digging/pumping.

Xavi

NR cannot simply turn up and get digging/pumping.
Who said anything about pumping? Visually like-for-like trackworks consents are not an issue with local authorities.
Not your conjecture.
Conjecture . Unlike some contributors, I will never reveal my sources or employment.
NR can take what seems to outsiders to be an inexplicably long time even when going at full speed.
That’s internal. Trust me, when NR asks for a quick response, suppliers deliver and third parties respond. NR doesn’t have the necessary expertise in-house.
What are these alternative measures you keep mentioning
I can’t reveal due to NDAs. Do some intelligent Google searches and you’ll find examples of troublesome trackbed formation solutions.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I can’t reveal due to NDAs. Do some intelligent Google searches and you’ll find examples of troublesome trackbed formation solutions.

If it’s available on Google I’m sure you wouldn’t mind pointing us all in the right direction, it wouldn’t be breaching an NDA if it’s already in the public eye.

Xavi

it wouldn’t be breaching an NDA
Yes it would as the document(s) may jeopardise my anonymity. That’s the NDA when commenting on a forum or social media.

Let’s see what the solution is when it comes, hopefully, in December. I expect the option that could have proceeded in summer will feature. END.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Yes it would as the document(s) may jeopardise my anonymity. That’s the NDA when commenting on a forum or social media.

Let’s see what the solution is when it comes, hopefully, in December. I expect the option that could have proceeded in summer will feature. END.
If you're worried about anonymity why are you posting on an online forum at all?

pompeyfan

Established Member
I believe mid November NR will remove the speed restrictions and the restriction of use, I don’t believe there is not any works planned to tamp or relay the track however.

Last edited:

Xavi

I believe mid November NR will remove the speed restrictions and the restriction of use, there is not any works planned to tamp or relay the track however.
That’s excellent news. Very interesting if the track will return to normal with no work at all.

Oliver

'Normal' timetable to return on Monday 14th November.

NETWORK RAIL SOUTHERN REGION
WEST OF ENGLAND LINE

26 October 2022

Dear Stakeholders,

Lifting speed restrictions on the West of England line.
As you will be aware, speed restrictions of 40mph were brought in this summer at locations near Tisbury, Gillingham and Axminster, as the clay-based track bed shrank in the record-breaking hot and dry summer, leaving the rails uneven and too bumpy for trains to run at full speed. This caused significant disruption to services in August and required the introduction of a new temporary timetable between Salisbury and Exeter from early September.
The cause of the speed restrictions on the line is known as Soil Moisture Deficit and is caused by largely clay-based soils shrinking in hot and dry conditions as trees and other vegetation soaks the water from them. They shrink unevenly, meaning track laid on top loses its level profile.

Engineers have made good progress in restoring the track levels, helped by cooler temperatures and regular rain which has stopped the track bed shrinking. We are now in a position to lift the majority of the speed restrictions which were imposed, and as a result, South Western Railway (SWR) plans to restore the regular timetable on the West of England line from Monday 14 November.
We would like to thank all our stakeholders and passengers for their patience throughout this period.

Looking Ahead

We wanted to take this opportunity to give you advance notice of a series of upcoming engineering works within the next 18 months to
improve the railway on the West of England line. Firstly, a nine-day closure between Salisbury and Yeovil Junction between 10th and 18th December will allow us to replace track in the Gillingham area.
Making the most of the closure, our engineers will also carry out station improvements at Gillingham and Sherborne; improve drainage in the Sherborne, Templecombe and Gillingham areas; perform track maintenance in the Gillingham and Sherborne areas; and remove graffiti and clear litter from the line at Salisbury.

Further closures are planned in November/December 2023 and March 2024, with the Axminster, Crewkerne, Templecombe and Gillingham areas all set to see improvement works.
We will continue keep stakeholders updated on these works, along with the associated journey information together with our colleagues at SWR.

Kind regards,

Southern Region Stakeholder Team

Dan G

What will be the service frequency east from Exeter after the previous timetable is restored?

RPI

Established Member
This thread is about the Waterloo services from Exeter so it’s referring to them going back to hourly with the restoration of the previous timetable
Doh, I was just testing.... I'll go back to sleep now, my apologies. :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.