• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reducing file size on memory sticks for email

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

Hello members, a dinosaur here from analogue days, I know a bit about the digital era, but not a lot. :)

So I had lots of photos in 'my pictures' (Windows 10) desktop PC which I nearly lost a couple of years ago,I have now transferred these to a number of Kingston 16Gb memory sticks.

First, when I put the memory stick in the USB slot on my PC it just lists the file names rather than show images, also when I later click on an image after first clicking on the file, I am then unable to use an arrow to scroll it on one file, is there anything that can be done for these two things?

Also on the stick, the files are JPG ranging in size from 1177Kb to 10044Kb per image with many in the 600-800 range, these are too big to email and I would like to reduce the file size, is there any way of doing this, can it be done quicker than one file at a time? I know that with existing photos in 'my pictures' that if I right click, then send to email it shows a file size of 230Kb.

Thank you in advance forum members.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
To transfer a lot of files too big to email, try a service like Wetransfer. Easy enough to use and no need to compress or otherwise mess with the files

Edit: when you mentioned emailing them, what is the purpose of sending them by email: did you mean to get the originals to a different place (in which case WeTransfer is appropriate), or did you mean to make lower-resolution copies to send certain ones by email to someone else (in which case a software solution as mentioned by etr221 below is appropriate)?

Last edited:

etr221

File size (of a jpg file - in bytes (or kb or Mb)) is down to a combination of the image dimensions (in pixels) and quality - bear both in mind if you want to reduce it.

For changing image file sizes, I have some free software - FastStone Photo Resizer - that will do batch resizing (and several other conversions, not that I tend to use them): given a lot of files, it might take a while, just let it run. The same company - https://www.faststone.org/ - also does a good image viewing programme (also free - FastStone Image Viewer) that is my preferred viewer (it has some basic editing functionality, and a good quick slide show function).

First, when I put the memory stick in the USB slot on my PC it just lists the file names rather than show images, also when I later click on an image after first clicking on the file, I am then unable to use an arrow to scroll it on one file, is there anything that can be done for these two things?
When you look at a file folder using Windows Explorer (which is what you will be doing on inserting your USB stick) you can choose how you wish to view them (list, icon, details, etc.) by using the 'View' tab - it will to some extent remember your choice.
Without knowing what software you're opening when click file to view image, don't know about your other question. But if you install FSIV and set it as your default image viewer, then it should do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.