• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reference from current boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacourt4

I’ve received my contract from northern however on the references form it states these should ideally cover the last 2 years employment.

My problem is I’ve worked for my current boss for the last 2 years and getting a reference from him is like getting blood from a stone.

My question is if I don’t put him down and use previous employers all of whom have said they will do it, would this be considered unsatisfactory and job offer rescinded.

My other worry is my start date isn’t for another 2 month and don’t want to upset the the applecart, so to speak, at my current job until I need to hand my notice in. If northern contact my boss before I hand in my notice he’d have more reason not to give a reference.

Sorry for the long post just kind of hoping someone has been in the same boat. Having got this far after years of applying think my mind is in overdrive thinking of what could go wrong now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Hi mate

First of all I would contact Northerns HR just to double check where you stand with referees. I would assume they would want a reference from your most recent employer as it brings your work history up to date.

I would consider arranging an appointment with your current boss just to explain your circumstances. He may be a very busy man with a lot on his plate, so providing you with a reference may not be at the top list of his priorities. Two months is ample time for him to do this for you. Does he have a PA or a secretary who you could perhaps make contact with?

Alternatively, if your boss is still dragging his feet and being unreasonable, is there any other supervisor who could provide you with a reference? Please only do this as a last resort if your boss won't provide you with a reference otherwise you could end up with egg on your face!

Again if there are issues, like I said just contact the HR people and keep them updated.

Regards

C J

Dacourt4

I work in a little independent shop. 3 months ago a colleague left and never got a reference despite multiple phone calls. Don’t want anyone going round in circles if I can help it.

paepo

Chances are they won't contact your referees until after you've started and it will be HR they want the details of as it's just a basic check to see you worked there when you said you did. I wouldn't be too concerned but contact Northern HR to check what they're after and it will put your mind at ease.

sw1ller

Established Member
If your boss isn’t the MD, then they may just get a reference from the HR department. It’ll just be about your conduct and absence.

If your boss is the main person, put them down, Northerns HR will chance it up. If they don’t get anything they’ll just let you know they need another one.

My advice would be to add an extra one for back up so the process goes much quicker.

dctraindriver

I work in a little independent shop. 3 months ago a colleague left and never got a reference despite multiple phone calls. Don’t want anyone going round in circles if I can help it.
You’ll probably find you will have started with Northern by the time they send out the letter. That’s what happened to me at my TOC. Put him down as refereee then let them chase him. I wouldn’t worry unnecessarily.

Komma

I was self employed before I joined the railway and put myself down as previous employer.
They(Virgin Trains) never asked me for a reference on myself.Bit of luck that,as it wouldn't have been a good one.

jamesst

I had a similar problem when I first started on the railway. I got around it by getting a supervisor and manager at the company I worked at (but not my current manager) to do the references instead. Both accepted without question.

tom73

Slightly off topic but I lost a good job with the Post Office because my store manager at WH Smith got me mixed up with someone else and gave me a negative reference. Despite quickly confirming his error with my new employer, the Post Office refused to give me my job back.

Status
Not open for further replies.