• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refund on flexible ticket bought in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeper

My sister-in-law has bought tickets for my brother to travel from Stroud tomorrow evening to Paddington, returning Tuesday. But she has bought him singles.

The first is a Super Off-Peak Single STD to London Terminals, dated (and only available) tomorrow and the PAD>STD ticket is an Off-Peak Single dated and only available Tuesday.

He now wants to come back on Wednesday.

He thinks he might as well discard the ticket that won’t be used, and buy a new ticket to go home.

But would I be right in thinking that — given the date of availability is still in the future — he could return the apparently redundant ticket to the retailer (GWR online) and get a refund? Would there be an admin fee?

Owing to logistics the saving he might obtain might now be worth the hassle, but I'd like to know in case the issue ever comes up again.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Yes, you can refund these tickets. There may be an admin fee of £10 per ticket, or £10 per order, or something else, depending on GWR’s policies. You can only refund them from the place you bought them.

You can also refund them any time within 28 days of the tickets’ expiry dates. You don’t need to refund them before they are valid for travel. The only condition is that (obviously) they must be unused.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Where a ticket is being returned for a refund due to a change of plans and a new ticket is purchased as part of the same transaction, the admin fee SHOULD be waived...at least for tickets bought at stations.

It may be worth calling GWR Customer Services and seeing if they can rebook the ticket, rather than doing it through the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.