• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refunds due to lockdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Surprised no-one has already asked this - if they have forgive me for not spotting it.

Advance tickets for tomorrow and next Friday, bought on Trainsplit. Trains appear to be running as normal but of course we are not permitted to stay away from our main home so cannot use them.

I don't suppose Trainsplit are doing anything similar to the first lockdown and refunding?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
Oh right, thanks. Looks like it's re-booking only on Advances. A bit pointless as (a) we don't know when it will be safe to do so, and (b) many TOCs haven't released Advances more than a couple of weeks ahead, so still in the lockdown period.

I thought last time refunds were given (if claimed of course) for all types of ticket, indeed I'm pretty sure I got some from Trainsplit, and definitely got a large amount back from TPE.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I bought a Heart of England 3 in 7 rover, starting Tuesday (3rd) having purchased it on the Friday before (ie the day before lockdown was announced). This only gave me two days validity pre lockdown. Any idea if I'd be able to apply for some kind of refund? Wasnt expecting to if I'm honest but reading this thread made me wonder.

alistairlees

Established Member
You won’t get refunds for your Advance tickets from any retailer (whether independent or TOC), but please don’t worry, you will not lose out. There will be some further announcements from retailers in a few days time. Just hold on to your advance tickets. I am assuming that you bought them on or before 31 October?

I bought a Heart of England 3 in 7 rover, starting Tuesday (3rd) having purchased it on the Friday before (ie the day before lockdown was announced). This only gave me two days validity pre lockdown. Any idea if I'd be able to apply for some kind of refund? Wasnt expecting to if I'm honest but reading this thread made me wonder.
I would have thought so. This meets the criteria of bought on or before 31 October, but for travel in the lockdown period. That said, there are no refunds for season tickets, which seems a bit harsh. It cannot harm to contact the TOC from which you purchased the rover.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I would have thought so. This meets the criteria of bought on or before 31 October, but for travel in the lockdown period. That said, there are no refunds for season tickets, which seems a bit harsh. It cannot harm to contact the TOC from which you purchased the rover.

Thanks, I'll drop them an e-mail / customer service enquiry.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
As alistairlees say, hold off for a few days, and keep hold of your tickets. There is a solution in the pipeline for advance tickets sold by third party retailers.

cyclebike

I've noticed the following has now appeared on TrainSplit:

Advance tickets purchased to or from any National Rail station in England before Saturday 31 October 2020, for travel between 01 November 2020 and 02 December 2020, can be changed without being charged the admin fee by the following methods:

12 months admin-fee-free 'Change of Advance' - We are offering a 12 months admin-fee-free 'Change of Advance' for Advance tickets purchased on or before 31st October for travel between 01 November 2020 until 02 December 2020. You have 12 months from the current travel date & time to rebook any journey and we will refund the total ticket cost of the lesser value journey (waiving the admin fee). If an amendment results in a lower price ticket, the difference in fare will not be refunded.

So it appears that advance tickets held for travel during the lockdown period will essentially be a credit note against any future travel (presumably booked through the same retailer)

trainophile

Established Member
Thank you! Funnily enough I was just about to ask if there were any updates.

Edit: Unfortunately Trainsplit won't load either on my Mac or my iPhone currently. I can open a page to make a new booking but can't find the refund message. Keep trying I suppose.

Edit 2: In now.

Okay, it's not working for me. Telling me I can only claim if I have rebooked a replacement journey. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Okay, it's not working for me. Telling me I can only claim if I have rebooked a replacement journey. What am I doing wrong?
That's the point. When you're ready to book a replacement, do so. You have a year in which you can. Then go through the refunds process with the new booking number and the old transaction will be refunded.

trainophile

Established Member
Oh I see, I have to hang onto my tickets and rebook as and when I can travel again. This is not much good if the reason for the original journey is no longer required. So no credit note or flexible re-booking then?

So I have to go to the same place perhaps next May as I was going to go to in November? Sorry, not much good then.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Oh I see, I have to hang onto my tickets and rebook as and when I can travel again. This is not much good if the reason for the original journey is no longer required. So no credit note or flexible re-booking then?

Yeah - flexible rebooking. The replacement journey can be anything.

trainophile

Established Member
Ah, I get it! Thanks for that. Okay no worries. Just have to not lose the tickets in the meantime!

If I have several journeys on one booking ref. presumably they all have to be used at once?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Yes - a booking can be broken up into multiple journeys and the refund is done at the journey level

(edited for clarity that refunds are per journey, not per booking)

Last edited:

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Booking with a TOC, wouldn't you get a RTV? There's no change available on that, is there?

trainophile

Established Member
Well I'm happy anyway, if there's a huge difference I could even go First Class!

Anyone know how to get the RTVs from TPE? Their website is so complicated and messy. Am I better off writing to them?

_toommm_

Established Member
Well I'm happy anyway, if there's a huge difference I could even go First Class!

Anyone know how to get the RTVs from TPE? Their website is so complicated and messy. Am I better off writing to them?

There’s a web form at the bottom of this page. They’ve not updated the website I don’t think to include the new restrictions though:

EDIT: Seems they only offer RTVs and not account credit though.

alistairlees

Established Member
A significant difference from booking with a TOC
I don't think it's helpful to be trying to score cheap points. We have now got to a position where all rail passengers, no matter which retailer they booked through, has more or less exactly the same rights. In this case it's a really good outcome for the customer - which should be celebrated.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Unfortunately they have declined any alert of refund on this rover citing

"I have looked in to this for you and as 2 days have been used out of 3 days there will be no refund due on this occassion"

Worth a try I suppose.

mickey

Can anyone help explain the situation with off-peak return tickets? The above refers to Advances. I have used the outbound but not the return, as it was planned for after the new lockdown announcement and I chose not to travel back as planned. Can I get any form of refund, credit or validity extension, or is it lost?

alistairlees

Established Member
If you have an unused return portion then you can get a refund for that, less any admin cost. You have up to 28 days from the last date of validity of the ticket. Contact your retailer.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
If you have an unused return portion then you can get a refund for that, less any admin cost. You have up to 28 days from the last date of validity of the ticket. Contact your retailer.
However, it should be noted that you may get very little back in some cases, as they'll generally deduct the cost of the appropriate Single ticket as well.

For example: A Super Off-Peak Return from London to Sheffield route via Chesterfield is £82.00, and the Single is £79.00, leaving just £3.00 to be refunded before the admin fee (up to £10.00) is applied.

trainophile

Established Member
Surely they should waive all admin fees under the present situation as it isn't the buyer's fault that they can't use tickets they bought in good faith?

Status
Not open for further replies.