• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rejoining Network Rail - Pension and Travel etc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

galaxynew

Hi

I am considering re-joining Network Rail and was wondering if anyone knows how it works regarding your previous service and particularly pension and travel benefits etc?

My railway pension was "froze" when i left but i still receive the annual statement so not sure if i start it again from fresh or it can be unfroze

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Pension I think will reactivate upon rejoining, any travel will be lost.

Depends what you did in the meantime. If you have safeguarded travel, moved from NR to a TOC, and then move back again, you'd keep it, but if you've ever lost it, you won't get it back.

galaxynew

Depends what you did in the meantime. If you have safeguarded travel, moved from NR to a TOC, and then move back again, you'd keep it, but if you've ever lost it, you won't get it back.
It was "non railway" so travel will be lost which i expected and to be honest not that bothered about, was more interested to know what happens to the pension

pdeaves

Established Member
more interested to know what happens to the pension
You will be able to:
  • Keep the old and start new; or
  • Transfer the previous into new [1].
I don't know about a literal 'pick up where you left off'.

[1] That's what I did in a similar situation; obviously I have no idea whether it would be a good idea for you or not.

BallastMonkey

Anyone know what happens to the pension in an instance where a NR employee moves to a TOC as a trainee driver?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Anyone know what happens to the pension in an instance where a NR employee moves to a TOC as a trainee driver?

You can either freeze it and restart, or you can transfer in if your employers section allows this.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I transferred my TOC contributions to the NWR one and brought years service, however when I moved TOC to TOC prior I did the same but lost years service so overall my actual service doesn’t match my pension years service, it’s off by 3 years thanks to the mistake of moving my subs across previously so becareful.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I transferred my TOC contributions to the NWR one and brought years service, however when I moved TOC to TOC prior I did the same but lost years service so overall my actual service doesn’t match my pension years service, it’s off by 3 years thanks to the mistake of moving my subs across previously so becareful.

That doesn't mean you have lost anything, presumably you had a salary increase when you changed jobs? So for example 10 years pension calculated at £40k may come out to the same as 13 years pension calculated at £30k.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
My salary dropped when I moved TOC to TOC, but I was 100% pensionable at my first TOC but only 73% at my 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.