• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining Effects of Covid

DustyBin

Established Member
Yes it was that horribly dramatic lockdown that was needed to reverse an out of control soaring trend rather than merely slowing the trend. I have no doubt that a lot of the damage done could have been avoided if we had been more cautious in the beginning.

Again, this isn't what happened.... The data strongly supports the assertion that the first lockdown was implemented after infections had peaked.

There's a good argument that the peaks you wanted to avoid were actually caused by lockdowns. One of the points of our original pandemic plan was to allow infections to spread at a relatively steady rate, whilst building immunity and avoiding overwhelming peaks. What we did instead was self-defeating.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
Again, this isn't what happened.... The data strongly supports the assertion that the first lockdown was implemented after infections had peaked.

There's a good argument that the peaks you wanted to avoid were actually caused by lockdowns. One of the points of our original pandemic plan was to allow infections to spread at a relatively steady rate, whilst building immunity and avoiding overwhelming peaks. What we did instead was self-defeating.
I think its a fairly solid bet that if covid was on these shores by the end of 2019, and it is strongly believed it was, then by mid-March a very significant proportion of the population would have been at least exposed to the virus. Let's be honest here, the only reason most governments moved when they did was because they were spooked by other governments did.

DustyBin

Established Member
I think its a fairly solid bet that if covid was on these shores by the end of 2019, and it is strongly believed it was, then by mid-March a very significant proportion of the population would have been at least exposed to the virus. Let's be honest here, the only reason most governments moved when they did was because they were spooked by other governments did.

Exactly, they needed to "do something" because others had (or so they thought).

Crossover

Established Member
From the proceedings yesterday I got the biggest ever indication that this is a stitch up; Sunak referred to a Qaly analysis done on the first lockdown which he claimed said that “the lockdown is likely to have generated costs greater than the likely benefit.” This was then immediately shut down by the QC who clearly doesn’t understand what it is, calling it a “quality life assurance model.”
I agree that this is a good indicator of what a hash up this enquiry has the scope to be! Predicted by many on here for some time as to how the enquiry would go, sadly it feels it is heading in the direction of a conclusion of "should have done more, earlier, longer, more stringent etc" and make it a "go to" tool for future issues

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The data strongly supports the assertion that the first lockdown was implemented after infections had peaked.

In which case why did cases continue rise until early April?

"Significant proportion" doesn't seem to be a sustainable argument considering what actually happened in reality. The number of cases continued to explode exponentially through March until shortly after the lockdown was implemented. The number of hospital admissions and patients with Covid-19 follows similar trajectories. If a "significant proportion" had already been exposed why did it take from some unspecified date in late-2019 to March 2020 to reach a crisis point? Once it became prevalent in the population to a significant degree things moved very quickly. I'm not sure it's sustainable to argue that a "significant proportion" had already been exposed prior to February/March 2020.

You'll forgive me but at the moment I'm far from convinced that either of the above two statements are accurate.

Bantamzen

Established Member
In which case why did cases continue rise until early April?

"Significant proportion" doesn't seem to be a sustainable argument considering what actually happened in reality. The number of cases continued to explode exponentially through March until shortly after the lockdown was implemented. The number of hospital admissions and patients with Covid-19 follows similar trajectories. If a "significant proportion" had already been exposed why did it take from some unspecified date in late-2019 to March 2020 to reach a crisis point? Once it became prevalent in the population to a significant degree things moved very quickly. I'm not sure it's sustainable to argue that a "significant proportion" had already been exposed prior to February/March 2020.

You'll forgive me but at the moment I'm far from convinced that either of the above two statements are accurate.
Well for a start, what testing was actually done prior to March 2020? Certainly the data from ONS shows very little, so how do we know that it wasn't spreading rapidly. If you look at the summary data (chart 1), you'll see that suddenly "deaths involving covid" came out of nowhere. But was that really the case, did covid hang around for a few months to avoid winter for the NHS? Realistically, it is likely that covid was moving quickly through the population from late 2019. It was definitely suspected where I live, because not long after a local businessman returned from Wuhan province (around 18/12/19 if I recall correctly), reports of symptoms that would ultimately be used to indicate possible covid infections went around the area, including the landlady of a local pub he frequented ending up in hospital on a ventilator. The story even reached the BBC as potential evidence of when the virus landed on these shores.

If we assume that it did originate in China, and was identified in late December, then it is a fair bet that it was probably doing the rounds for some time before it was identified. And given both the population of China, and the number of people leaving the country to the rest of the world, its hard to believe that covid wasn't well on it's way to global spread by the beginning of 2020. And if it had an infection rate of 2-3 people per infection, well it would have taken only weeks to reach a significant number of people.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well for a start, what testing was actually done prior to March 2020? Certainly the data from ONS shows very little, so how do we know that it wasn't spreading rapidly. If you look at the summary data (chart 1), you'll see that suddenly "deaths involving covid" came out of nowhere. But was that really the case, did covid hang around for a few months to avoid winter for the NHS? Realistically, it is likely that covid was moving quickly through the population from late 2019. It was definitely suspected where I live, because not long after a local businessman returned from Wuhan province (around 18/12/19 if I recall correctly), reports of symptoms that would ultimately be used to indicate possible covid infections went around the area, including the landlady of a local pub he frequented ending up in hospital on a ventilator. The story even reached the BBC as potential evidence of when the virus landed on these shores.

If we assume that it did originate in China, and was identified in late December, then it is a fair bet that it was probably doing the rounds for some time before it was identified. And given both the population of China, and the number of people leaving the country to the rest of the world, its hard to believe that covid wasn't well on it's way to global spread by the beginning of 2020. And if it had an infection rate of 2-3 people per infection, well it would have taken only weeks to reach a significant number of people.
I don't dispute it was probably circulating in the later parts of 2019, I'm simply far from convinced by the idea that a "significant proportion" of people had already had Covid before February/March 2020. Unless there is an argument it mutated between the end of 2019 and February/March 2020 so everyone who had alreayd been infected once got it again in a more dangerous form for it to suddenly start killing a lot of people. Your own linked data shows that deaths only rose above the 5-year average in March which is surely not what you'd expect if it was cirulating in a "significant proportion" of people in late-2019? Agreed thought that testing is obviously a problem in detection early on.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I don't dispute it was probably circulating in the later parts of 2019, I'm simply far from convinced by the idea that a "significant proportion" of people had already had Covid before February/March 2020. Unless there is an argument it mutated between the end of 2019 and February/March 2020 so everyone who had alreayd been infected once got it again in a more dangerous form for it to suddenly start killing a lot of people. Your own linked data shows that deaths only rose above the 5-year average in March which is surely not what you'd expect if it was cirulating in a "significant proportion" of people in late-2019? Agreed thought that testing is obviously a problem in detection early on.
My point is did it "suddenly start killing people"? For a start if it was circulating for a while, people may well have been dying from with without diagnosis right back to December. And let's not also forget that reporting methods changed over time, I'm fairly certain it started out as being the cause of death for all people with it, to being a possible cause of death within 90 days of testing, then 28 days of testing. Frankly the reporting of the data left a lot to query throughout the main part of restrictions.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My point is did it "suddenly start killing people"? For a start if it was circulating for a while, people may well have been dying from with without diagnosis right back to December. And let's not also forget that reporting methods changed over time, I'm fairly certain it started out as being the cause of death for all people with it, to being a possible cause of death within 90 days of testing, then 28 days of testing. Frankly the reporting of the data left a lot to query throughout the main part of restrictions.
But there's no spike in deaths above the 5-year average until March 2020, indeed it was below average in January/February 2020? For it to be killing significant numbers of people, which is what you'd expect if it was circulating in a "significant proportion" of the population, you would surely expect to see deaths rising above the average earlier than it did in reality? Unless the suggestion is that there were two forms of Covid. An earlier version that infected loads of people in the end of 2019 through February 2020 and was fairly benign and then a mutated version that was more lethal from February 2020 onwards?

Again, I'm not suggesting Covid wasn't present in the UK prior to the end of January 2020 but I don't buy the idea that a "significant proportion" of people had already had it by before March 2020. The stats you linked, to me, don't suggest anything of the sort because otherwise deaths would have been spiking earlier. Particularly considering all the mingling that was going on at that time of year.

Bantamzen

Established Member
But there's no spike in deaths above the 5-year average until March 2020, indeed it was below average in January/February 2020? For it to be killing significant numbers of people, which is what you'd expect if it was circulating in a "significant proportion" of the population, you would surely expect to see deaths rising above the average earlier than it did in reality? Unless the suggestion is that there were two forms of Covid. An earlier version that infected loads of people in the end of 2019 through February 2020 and was fairly benign and then a mutated version that was more lethal from February 2020 onwards?

Again, I'm not suggesting Covid wasn't present in the UK prior to the end of January 2020 but I don't buy the idea that a "significant proportion" of people had already had it by before March 2020. The stats you linked, to me, don't suggest anything of the sort because otherwise deaths would have been spiking earlier. Particularly considering all the mingling that was going on at that time of year.
Well one explanation could be that large numbers of elderly people were tipped out of hospitals back into care homes, and at the same time the NHS snapped shut for an awful lot of people. In fact at lot of those excess deaths correlate with the policy of handing over care to care homes instead of the NHS. Not only could that have massively increased the risk for those so vulnerable, but for other elderly residents who were previously not as exposed.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

Well. Testing earlier might support your argument - but then again how come a rising number of people were getting very ill and dying from something ?.
It would not "suddenly start killing people". I can very clearly remember cases rising in Northern Italy. That was our clue - we sat on our hands.

It would make some more ill than others. Granted we did not know how many were getting it but not suffering BUT plenty were suffering.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Well. Testing earlier might support your argument - but then again how come a rising number of people were getting very ill and dying from something ?.

It would not "suddenly start killing people". I can very clearly remember cases rising in Northern Italy. That was our clue - we sat on our hands.

It would make some more ill than others. Granted we did not know how many were getting it but not suffering BUT plenty were suffering.
You may have missed my last post, please see above.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Well one explanation could be that large numbers of elderly people were tipped out of hospitals back into care homes, and at the same time the NHS snapped shut for an awful lot of people. In fact at lot of those excess deaths correlate with the policy of handing over care to care homes instead of the NHS. Not only could that have massively increased the risk for those so vulnerable, but for other elderly residents who were previously not as exposed.
The emptying of wards and sending of elderly back to care homes was an indication to me of how overwhelmed the NHS believed they would get. The consequences were very sad of course.

I think it is a standard procedure for a hospital to clear the decks when a crisis is coming. Not that a crisis of the scale of Covid is normal.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

The same old people and elderly residents who would have been surrounded by family and friends over Christmas? Meaning that they would have already been exposed to Covid, in your hypothetical, yet somehow didn't die of it the first time round? I don't doubt that the changes to NHS services, many of them mad, had a significant impact but you'll forgive me but I'm not sure that's a persuasive argument, that Covid had already infected a "significant proportion" of people unless, again, the contention is that there was a variant that was wildly circulating in late-2019 through to February 2020 and then a new more deadly variant arrived and then killed a load of people?

I'm sorry but I don't see how there is any evidence, so far, that a "significant proportion" of people had already had Covid by March 2020.

Bantamzen

Established Member
The emptying of wards and sending of elderly back to care homes was an indication to me of how overwhelmed the NHS believed they would get. The consequences were very sad of course.
Or a panicked and ill-judged response. I know which way I lean towards, because even at the time it was widely condemned.

The same old people and elderly residents who would have been surrounded by family and friends over Christmas? Meaning that they would have already been exposed to Covid, in your hypothetical, yet somehow didn't die of it the first time round? I don't doubt that the changes to NHS services, many of them mad, had a significant impact but you'll forgive me but I'm not sure that's a persuasive argument, that Covid had already infected a "significant proportion" of people unless, again, the contention is that there was a variant that was wildly circulating in late-2019 through to February 2020 and then a new more deadly variant arrived and then killed a load of people?

I'm sorry but I don't see how there is any evidence, so far, that a "significant proportion" of people had already had Covid by March 2020.
Actually more like people in and out of long term care in the NHS, who were tipped out of an environment were intensive care was at least nearby to one were it was not. I'm sorry but that along with that spike in excess deaths happening around 4 weeks after lockdown started and the mass ejection of people from NHS care doesn't just ring bells, it sounds ruddy great, loud claxtons all over.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Or a panicked and ill-judged response. I know which way I lean towards, because even at the time it was widely condemned.

Actually more like people in and out of long term care in the NHS, who were tipped out of an environment were intensive care was at least nearby to one were it was not. I'm sorry but that along with that spike in excess deaths happening around 4 weeks after lockdown started and the mass ejection of people from NHS care doesn't just ring bells, it sounds ruddy great, loud claxtons all over.
You need to understand that a lockdown - even a drastic one is not going to suddenly stop Covid cases. It takes time for the cases to fall. The fact that the case rate continued to rise only indicated how bad things were getting.

If a building is on fire and you use water to put it out do you abandon the use of water if you still lose half the building ?. Obviously you might go for prevention systems.....

Keeping people in hospital because they MAY need intensive care is crazy if you are having a rising number of people who DO need intensive care.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Fair enough we clearly going to have to agree to disagree. As far as I can see the only "evidence" that Covid was circulating in a "significant proportion" of the population before February/March 2020 is that there is evidence of some infections being present in the UK in late 2019. But clearly you disagree anyway and feel that lots of people already had had covid by February/March 2020 and that the fact that deaths increased suddenly then is unrelated to any increase in cases which may or may not have occured. Don't seem particularly persuasive to me but that's fine you do you :)

Sorcerer

Oh yes it is easy to forget that a proper test and trace system could have managed things in a far better way. The risk was some people might have said why should I stay at home when others don't need to. Whatever we did it required buy in. Our test and trace system was so hopeless that we could only go for the blunt instrument.
The test and trace system was hopeless, yes, but it was because of how poorly it was done, and to have done it properly would've required more effort than a government lead by Boris Johnson was willing to expend. Lockdowns in the UK stemmed from the failure of the political system as much as it did from the failure to adequately respond to the virus, yet for many lockdown advocates and fans, it was the only way forward, and despite the negative long term impacts that will inevitably stem from the lockdowns they would do it all over again given the chance. While a significant number of people might actually start favouring bringing back restrictions, to me personally the very idea of it is egregious.

Richard Scott

Established Member
You need to understand that a lockdown - even a drastic one is not going to suddenly stop Covid cases. It takes time for the cases to fall. The fact that the case rate continued to rise only indicated how bad things were getting.

If a building is on fire and you use water to put it out do you abandon the use of water if you still lose half the building ?. Obviously you might go for prevention systems.....

Keeping people in hospital because they MAY need intensive care is crazy if you are having a rising number of people who DO need intensive care.
You keep on about this but at the end of the day we were talking about a virus that has less impact than flu. I could understand the panic if it was Ebola that was as transmittable but it wasn't. I know people died from it, sorry but this happens, we all die of something (remember you don't save lives just delay death) and, as I've said before, a lot of these people were at the end of their natural lives.
Number of cases isn't a reason to panic but seems the media and politicians (both who, in my opinion, seem to lack scientific understanding) did and encouraged panic amongst general population. Afraid it sounds like you've been sucked in too?

The test and trace system was hopeless, yes, but it was because of how poorly it was done, and to have done it properly would've required more effort than a government lead by Boris Johnson was willing to expend. Lockdowns in the UK stemmed from the failure of the political system as much as it did from the failure to adequately respond to the virus, yet for many lockdown advocates and fans, it was the only way forward, and despite the negative long term impacts that will inevitably stem from the lockdowns they would do it all over again given the chance. While a significant number of people might actually start favouring bringing back restrictions, to me personally the very idea of it is egregious.
Track and trace was hopeless because it's never going to work. Nothing to do with government in at the time as everything to do with 'being seen to be doing something'. It was clear early on that this virus wasn't one to be madly panicking over but media and political influences meant cat was already out of the bag and general population were scared of it.

Sorcerer

Track and trace was hopeless because it's never going to work. Nothing to do with government in at the time as everything to do with 'being seen to be doing something'. It was clear early on that this virus wasn't one to be madly panicking over but media and political influences meant cat was already out of the bag and general population were scared of it.
I somewhat disagree. I definitely think a proper test and trace system would've been preferable for keeping the virus in check without needing to enforce too many restrictions on everyday life, combined with strict hygiene measures and isolating when ill. The extent of how much testing and tracing can be somewhat debated, but I do think it would've definitely been preferable compared to inconsistent rules and national lockdowns that were the easiest ways of looking like they were doing something. I do agree that the widespread hysteria and mass panic were uncalled for, but I think that died down as fatigue began to set it from continuous restrictions, especially after Number 10 had been partying several times throughout the pandemic which only sent the message that not even our so-called leaders thought much of these rules and therefore why should we.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I suspect that the reason many at the Inquiry and in the media are saying lockdown should have started earlier than it did is to take away the doubt over the effectiveness of lockdown measures. We know from NHS triage data, death numbers and from the React study that infections were almost certainly decreasing before the lockdown came into legal force on 26th March. You can almost guarantee that had lockdown started one or two weeks earlier the usual suspects would have been claiming that this was down to lockdown. We also had another very close escape in December 2021.

From the proceedings yesterday I got the biggest ever indication that this is a stitch up; Sunak referred to a Qaly analysis done on the first lockdown which he claimed said that “the lockdown is likely to have generated costs greater than the likely benefit.” This was then immediately shut down by the QC who clearly doesn’t understand what it is, calling it a “quality life assurance model.”
I also suspect this

Peter Sarf

Established Member
For test and trace to work it would need to have been developed far far quicker. Starting development earlier was necessary. We should be developing a test and trace system now for the future. Granted the test bit will be tricky as we don't know what we would be testing for yet. The cost of a mothballed test and trace system would be insignificant compared to what we ended up with.
You keep on about this but at the end of the day we were talking about a virus that has less impact than flu. I could understand the panic if it was Ebola that was as transmittable but it wasn't. I know people died from it, sorry but this happens, we all die of something (remember you don't save lives just delay death) and, as I've said before, a lot of these people were at the end of their natural lives.
Number of cases isn't a reason to panic but seems the media and politicians (both who, in my opinion, seem to lack scientific understanding) did and encouraged panic amongst general population. Afraid it sounds like you've been sucked in too?

My bold

If you are saying that Flu is more serious than Covid WAS then I am lost for words. Now Covid is endemic plus many vaccinated (fingers crossed) it is no longer a sinister virus unless your immune system is getting past it or you have other underlying health problems - just the same for Flu.

The number of cases is a reason to react (well panic) if they are serious and rising at an alarming rate.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I somewhat disagree. I definitely think a proper test and trace system would've been preferable for keeping the virus in check without needing to enforce too many restrictions on everyday life, combined with strict hygiene measures and isolating when ill. The extent of how much testing and tracing can be somewhat debated, but I do think it would've definitely been preferable compared to inconsistent rules and national lockdowns that were the easiest ways of looking like they were doing something. I do agree that the widespread hysteria and mass panic were uncalled for, but I think that died down as fatigue began to set it from continuous restrictions, especially after Number 10 had been partying several times throughout the pandemic which only sent the message that not even our so-called leaders thought much of these rules and therefore why should we.
I agree that a proper test and trace system implemented as soon as we knew Covid was on its way would have helped and that a lot of the mass hysteria and panic was uncalled for and unhelpful

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I agree that a proper test and trace system implemented as soon as we knew Covid was on its way would have helped and that a lot of the mass hysteria and panic was uncalled for and unhelpful
I just don't know how much time we would have had. But my argumant is that the trace pat could be got ready now for an unknown future. Would it really cost that much to develop and make obsolete every decade or so a system that could be needed in 100 years time.

But then the fact we did not stop international travel tells me how unprepared we were doomed to be.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I just don't know how much time we would have had. But my argumant is that the trace pat could be got ready now for an unknown future. Would it really cost that much to develop and make obsolete every decade or so a system that could be needed in 100 years time.

But then the fact we did not stop international travel tells me how unprepared we were doomed to be.
While obviously we can't close the borders forever I agree we should have pulled the drawbridge up a lot sooner as it were to try and buy some time to get more capacity in the NHS for what was to come

Peter Sarf

Established Member
While obviously we can't close the borders forever I agree we should have pulled the drawbridge up a lot sooner as it were to try and buy some time to get more capacity in the NHS for what was to come
I would go along with that except to say I don't think we were ever going to get extra capacity in the NHS except by what we did - clearing the decks. Cannot even sort the NHS out in normal times.

Then it was an effort to slow down the rate Covid went through the population.

I would like to view the European statistics from a standpoint of questioning if medical health care in the UK is in a worse state than the rest of Europe. It struck me that a country like Germany with less of a border to cases in Italy ended up taking Covid cases from France iirc.

wilbers

The E3 gaming show, once the biggest event in the gaming calendar, has been permanently cancelled.

In a statement, the organisers said: "After more than two decades of E3, each one bigger than the last, the time has come to say goodbye."

Its taken awhile, but E3 has been killed off by Covid. Last in-person event was 2019, and other than when it returned in 2021 as a virtual event its been cancelled each year, and now the confirmation today its permanently cancelled.

Richard Scott

Established Member
For test and trace to work it would need to have been developed far far quicker. Starting development earlier was necessary. We should be developing a test and trace system now for the future. Granted the test bit will be tricky as we don't know what we would be testing for yet. The cost of a mothballed test and trace system would be insignificant compared to what we ended up with.

My bold

If you are saying that Flu is more serious than Covid WAS then I am lost for words. Now Covid is endemic plus many vaccinated (fingers crossed) it is no longer a sinister virus unless your immune system is getting past it or you have other underlying health problems - just the same for Flu.

The number of cases is a reason to react (well panic) if they are serious and rising at an alarming rate.
Can be as lost for words as you like the fact is it is less likely to be fatal to majority of population than flu.

Why? The severity of this virus was seriously overstated, I know some people died from it but they do from lots of things, we don't panic about most of them especially when there's a highly likely probability you'll recover from it.

Grecian 1998

A grand total of 15 days passed between Italy's national lockdown on Sunday 8 March and the UK announcement of the lockdown on Monday 23 March (although it didn't come into force until Thursday 26 March). Italy was the first country in Europe to attempt to emulate the perceived success of the Chinese Communist Party. Whilst others quickly followed, the fact is that 'going earlier' really wouldn't have been much quicker.

'Going harder' was probably impossible. Any attempt to ban outdoor exercise would have quickly been seen as completely unenforceable due to police numbers and the fact we don't have ID cards. Any attempt to restrict people to within a certain distance of their house would have failed for the same reason. If someone tells a police officer when challenged that they're on the way home from exercising, the only way of verifying that is to follow the individual in question, which isn't a particularly good use of police resources, particularly if there is the slightest hint of discrimination or targeting in who the officer is following.

I can't really see that it can be argued any European country managed infection rates successfully across the whole pandemic, largely because it simply isn't feasible in the world we live in. Any country which had a relatively successful spring 2020 tended to have a bad winter 2020/21 - see Germany. Unfortunately very few politicians could actually admit to the electorate there was only so much mitigation which could be achieved. Much better to be seen to be trying everything even if you know it's almost certainly pointless - it convinces parts of the electorate that you must care because you're doing something. One way systems in pubs were a particularly entertainingly pointless mitigation, as they frequently meant walking past far more people to exit / use the toilet than if you just turned around and walked 3 paces.

Whilst there are many people who like to point out how high the UK death rate was, I don't recall any European country being held up as a success story by the time of the winter of 2020-21. I suspect most countries probably had people saying the same in their own media at the time. The only 'successes' were islands which could completely cut themselves off from the rest of the world. Not really an option for the UK given the volume of cross-Channel traffic and the land border with the Republic of Ireland.

It's also worth pointing out that Antarctica had cases on multiple occasions, even though the only way onto Antarctica was through a stringent quarantine. The visitors to Antarctica are scientists who it seems fair to assume are used to following stringent protocols, given that failing to abide by the rules on Antarctica could probably get you or a colleague killed. If the virus kept getting back into a highly controlled and regulated environment, it's not really surprising that it flourished across the rest of the world. I suspect the only way to eradicate it would have been to force people to self-isolate for 6 months rather than 14 days. I also suspect that asking large sections of the populace to voluntarily put themselves under house arrest for 6 months (and I mean literally not leaving the house once during that time - I know some people did, but not many) with no way of enforcing it wouldn't have been very successful.

Sorcerer

Why? The severity of this virus was seriously overstated, I know some people died from it but they do from lots of things, we don't panic about most of them especially when there's a highly likely probability you'll recover from it.
Well we obviously know that now, but back then not so much. The panic was obviously not productive but it wasn't totally unfathomed when most people hear news of a mysterious virus sweeping China that lead to them locking down hard. The biggest mistake was when the media continued to portray it as the ultimate killer that you must cross the road for in order to even stand a chance of surviving the possibility of catching it. The focus should've been on making sure the spread could be controlled without disrupting too much of every day life, and even other lockdown sceptics didn't suggest just doing nothing. The mistake was again letting fear dictate the direction we went in with our policies.