• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Replacement bus services on strike days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EMR say:

"Strike action by the ASLEF union takes place on Wednesday 31 May and Saturday 3 June. On these dates, no rail or rail replacement services will operate on EMR routes."

Where rail services are replaced by buses for a solid period (eg Derby-Matlock 27 May to 11 Jun), why are bus services withdrawn on ASLEF strike days?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OneOfThe48

I would assume because the rail services the buses are replacing wouldn’t be running if the line were open.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I would assume because the rail services the buses are replacing wouldn’t be running if the line were open.
There used to be a time when the railways tried to cover as much of the network as possible on strike days, including by drafting in buses. But that was before they got bailed out by the government. They have no incentive to provide anything now. Easy money.

OneOfThe48

There used to be a time when the railways tried to cover as much of the network as possible on strike days, including by drafting in buses. But that was before they got bailed out by the government. They have no incentive to provide anything now. Easy money.
Indeed, though I do think it would be almost impossible to arrange busses to cover most service routes in England at the same time with a respectable frequency

Veteran Member
There used to be a time when the railways tried to cover as much of the network as possible on strike days, including by drafting in buses.
When did BR start doing that? I worked (in a non-striking union!) through strikes around 1980 and I don’t recall such attempts.

RT4038

Established Member
There used to be a time when the railways tried to cover as much of the network as possible on strike days, including by drafting in buses.
When was that?

When did BR start doing that? I worked (in a non-striking union!) through strikes around 1980 and I don’t recall such attempts.
BR never did. Prior to the later 80s it simply would not have been possible in terms of the industrial relations culture of the time.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I never mentioned BR.

During a number of disputes early in the SWT franchise Stagecoach drafted in buses and drivers from far and wide, including Scotland.

Now the railways can't even be bothered to run the buses they've already committed to, even though the bus companies themselves aren't on strike. Hopefully the bus operators get a 100% cancellation fee for being messed around.

dk1

Veteran Member

Me neither. All rail strikes I’ve known have a clear message of do not travel as no replacements will be offered. My memory goes back to 1982 & the flexible rostering dispute in this respect.

I note this was changed to SWT but wanted to get my six penneth in lol.

Veteran Member
I never mentioned BR.
During a number of disputes early in the SWT franchise Stagecoach drafted in buses and drivers from far and wide, including Scotland.
No, sorry, but I read your post as implying that it was a long established general practice.

SeanG

Why are bus services withdrawn on ASLEF strike days?

You would have to find bus drivers willing to work them too, and being that many are members of unions too, one would hope that some solidarity would be shown

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Was certainly done for the major First NW weekend strikes in the early 2000s. Some quite fancy coaches got used which were a big upgrade on a Pacer or 150/2.

You would have to find bus drivers willing to work them too, and being that many are members of unions too, one would hope that some solidarity would be shown

Sympathetic striking is illegal.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

If directed to work by the employer as part of their contract these drivers would be expected to work. Just because they might support what the railway staff are striking for does not give them the right to strike. I am a teacher and have been in on every recent teachers' strike day as my union did not get a mandate for strike action.

philosopher

Established Member
Indeed, though I do think it would be almost impossible to arrange busses to cover most service routes in England at the same time with a respectable frequency
While obviously you can’t replace trains with buses on all or most routes during strikes, I would have thought they could at least do this for certain routes. For example to ensure major airports and locations that are otherwise inaccessible by public transport are served by a rail replacement bus.

MikeWM

Established Member
It is buses between Ely and Cambridge (again) this weekend.

It seems GN aren't bothering to run any buses at all tomorrow, despite usually having a twice-an-hour service running on strike days between the two.

GA by contrast has an almost-normal timetable tomorrow, including running buses - though just one bus an hour between Ely and Cambridge on a Saturday sounds like a recipe for disaster...

richw

Veteran Member
Why are bus services withdrawn on ASLEF strike days?
Not sure about England/ Scotland but in Wales under devolved legislation the Trade Union Act (Wales) 2017 makes it illegal to bring in alternative labour to cover strikers. Rail replacement buses would fall under this.

Not sure about England/ Scotland but in Wales under devolved legislation the Trade Union Act (Wales) 2017 makes it illegal to bring in alternative labour to cover strikers. Rail replacement buses would fall under this.
But if the strike falls in the middle of a period when a line is closed for engineering works, the bus drivers wouldn't be covering strikers. Having announced the engineering work, the scheduled service would be a bus. If a strike of train drivers is subsequently announced, then it would appear that either the bus operator is declining to honour the booking on strike days (on what basis?) or the TOC is choosing to cancel a service that they had presumably already contracted to buy in. Would the TOC's contract with the bus company allow them to avoid the cost of that day's service if they made such a cancellation? If Yes, then it seems penny-pinching to cancel, and if No, it seems vindictive to passengers whose journey would have been covered by the replacement bus.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But if the strike falls in the middle of a period when a line is closed for engineering works, the bus drivers wouldn't be covering strikers. Having announced the engineering work, the scheduled service would be a bus. If a strike of train drivers is subsequently announced, then it would appear that either the bus operator is declining to honour the booking on strike days (on what basis?) or the TOC is choosing to cancel a service that they had presumably already contracted to buy in. Would the TOC's contract with the bus company allow them to avoid the cost of that day's service if they made such a cancellation? If Yes, then it seems penny-pinching to cancel, and if No, it seems vindictive to passengers whose journey would have been covered by the replacement bus.
It's not the bus operator cancelling it. It's the TOC. It's not so much about the cost of the day's service as the (completely wrong IMHO) principle that "we don't provide replacement buses on strike days". Can't say whether the TOC would still have to pay for the replacement buses - that would depend on the terms of their contract with their replacement bus provider and likely the amount of notice provided, but either way it's utterly ludicrous.

Mainline421

Not sure of the legal position but that clearly hasn't been an issue in the past, SWR had most of their network covered with PUGs for a month at one point. Edit: As I suspected this doesn't seem to be the case anyway https://www.gov.uk/if-your-business-faces-industrial-action/nonunion-employees-and-strikes

If it is was already scheduled as a bus this clearly would never apply anyway unless there's a bus strike.

richw

Veteran Member
It’s probably worse to provide a bus service on strike days if no connecting trains are running than to cancel them.

I want to travel A to B via C, rail replacement running A-C would then leave me stuck at C with no onward travel to B. That wouldn’t be a good position to put customers in

nr758123

But if the strike falls in the middle of a period when a line is closed for engineering works, the bus drivers wouldn't be covering strikers. Having announced the engineering work, the scheduled service would be a bus. If a strike of train drivers is subsequently announced, then it would appear that either the bus operator is declining to honour the booking on strike days (on what basis?) or the TOC is choosing to cancel a service that they had presumably already contracted to buy in.
There was a strike day within the period of the recent Stalybridge closure - possibly Thursday 16 March - when the planned replacement bus service ran.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Looking at RTT and other sites, looks like the replacement buses which were scheduled to run between Huddersfield & Leeds are still showing as running. You can even buy a ticket (not like it will probably get checked!)

Attached is a screenshot from the forums ticket site offering tickets tomorrow morning from Dewsbury to Leeds

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230512-222144_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230512-222144_Chrome.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 22

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
It’s probably worse to provide a bus service on strike days if no connecting trains are running than to cancel them.

I want to travel A to B via C, rail replacement running A-C would then leave me stuck at C with no onward travel to B. That wouldn’t be a good position to put customers in

+1

This is exactly the reason why RRS are withdrawn on strike days.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
+1

This is exactly the reason why RRS are withdrawn on strike days.
Except there is already the precedent that a limited train service is offered on strike days - which may well have exactly the same effect.

Providing nothing is almost never going to be worse than providing something. This industry position that your post reflects is emblematic of everything that's wrong with the industry's attitude to customer service.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Except there is already the precedent that a limited train service is offered on strike days - which may well have exactly the same effect.

Providing nothing is almost never going to be worse than providing something. This industry position that your post reflects is emblematic of everything that's wrong with the industry's attitude to customer service.

I’m afraid you’re just wrong here.

If there’s a limited train service to connect into, then the buses will likely run. But if there’s no onward connection into a train at the interchange point, then it would be farcical to run the buses. No matter how well strikes are publicised people will still turn up completely unaware that the normal service isn’t running. (My next door neighbour did exactly this yesterday, turned up at our local station en-route to a restaurant date for a train that wasn’t running because of the ASLEF strike.) At least if they find out there’s no service at their home station, they can change their plans without further inconvenience. If they don’t find out until they’re getting OFF the bus at the other end, I suspect staff would be in danger of assault.

Mainline421

I’m afraid you’re just wrong here.

If there’s a limited train service to connect into, then the buses will likely run. But if there’s no onward connection into a train at the interchange point, then it would be farcical to run the buses. No matter how well strikes are publicised people will still turn up completely unaware that the normal service isn’t running. (My next door neighbour did exactly this yesterday, turned up at our local station en-route to a restaurant date for a train that wasn’t running because of the ASLEF strike.) At least if they find out there’s no service at their home station, they can change their plans without further inconvenience. If they don’t find out until they’re getting OFF the bus at the other end, I suspect staff would be in danger of assault.
By that logic, there should be no service anywhere on any strike day, since people will show up expecting to travel to various destinations, only to find out that they can't! I actually witnessed this happen on Friday, but I'm glad that I could still complete my journey, and staff were proactive in informing passengers of the situation. If it's possible to provide a service and there is any genuine demand it should run.

Status
Not open for further replies.