• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Report, trip to Braintree from Birmingham for work

trwilson

I am not a frequent traveller by rail and last week i posted asking advice about a return trip from Birmingham to Braintree which took place on monday/tuesday.

I am back now, but- this was quite an experience!!

On the way down, the train i had booked (LNW) was delayed but eventually turned up- not before i was accosted by someone asking me to take out cash from the cashpoint for them (i didn't)
After two stops there was an announcement that there was a problem and we had to exit at rugby and get a later following train- this got me into Euston later than expected.

I got into euston and decided i could not be bothered trying to find the tube to liverpool st and jumped in a cab (on expenses to be fair).

After arriving at liverpool st i discovered that i was at the wrong entrance... eventually i was directed by someone to the correct entrance and managed to get my train to braintree and arrived some 5.5+ hours after leaving Birmingham.

On the way back the trip to liverpool st was uneventful and i jumped in a cab again to get to euston- the taxi driver may or may not have been playing me as he told me 'there are closed roads so i need to take a longer route' and the upshot was a 5 pound higher fare the second time.

I arrived at Euston to--- utter chaos with every train to Birmingham cancelled. Eventually a train was announced to Birmingham- an Avanti, but i had a london midland ticket not Avanti.

I queued for 20 minutes to speak to the lady at the Avanti desk to see if i was allowed to use my LNW ticket due to the cancellations.
After 20 mins i got to the desk asked the question and was brusquely told 'go ask at the 'london midland desk its not my problem'

The london midland desk said i could use it, so then it was a matter of waiting for a platform announcement.

Literally 3 mins before the train was due to leave a platform was announced and a mad stampede ensued to board the sole train heading to Birmingham.

Amazingly i got one of the seats - but when an old lady got on i gave her my seat and had to stand for about an hour until a seat became available.

Overall it was quite a stressful experience, and not one i would want to repeat

Is this sort of disruption common?.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Overall it was quite a stressful experience, and not one i would want to repeat

Is this sort of disruption common?.
Define common - in this case my sister had a similarly dire trip home the previous evening, but for different causes (most of which were external to the railway).
The WC line out of Euston seems particularly vulnerable to signalling problems such as you apparently had on Tuesday, not helped by it being very busy all the time (and IIRC the signalling being elderly).

I am surprised that the train companies weren't simply accepting each other's tickets - assuming the Avanti staff member wasn't simply being unhelpful.

sh24

Of my last 6 round trips from Euston, 5 have seen disruption one way or both. The railway does not help itself - as you've seen - by providing poor quality information and an often customer hostile way of working. Avanti staff at Euston are not a good advert for train travel, though I do have some sympathy as passenger behaviour can be appalling too.

trwilson

Define common - in this case my sister had a similarly dire trip home the previous evening, but for different causes (most of which were external to the railway).
The WC line out of Euston seems particularly vulnerable to signalling problems such as you apparently had on Tuesday, not helped by it being very busy all the time (and IIRC the signalling being elderly).

I am surprised that the train companies weren't simply accepting each other's tickets - assuming the Avanti staff member wasn't simply being unhelpful.
Well i am likely to have to do this trip regularly, i like the idea of taking a train down so i can relax on the way or work but this was anything except relaxing
I am also contemplating doing moor st to marleybone instead as perhaps marleybone isnt as bad

I think they were taking each others tickets, but the avanti lady was fed up of dealing with customers.

trwilson

Of my last 6 round trips from Euston, 5 have seen disruption one way or both. The railway does not help itself - as you've seen - by providing poor quality information and an often customer hostile way of working. Avanti staff at Euston are not a good advert for train travel, though I do have some sympathy as passenger behaviour can be appalling too.
Yup, while i was polite, i imagine she had dealt with a lot of angry passengers by the time i turned up.

duffield

Established Member
Well i am likely to have to do this trip regularly, i like the idea of taking a train down so i can relax on the way or work but this was anything except relaxing
I am also contemplating doing moor st to marleybone instead as perhaps marleybone isnt as bad

I think they were taking each others tickets, but the avanti lady was fed up of dealing with customers.
I don't use Marylebone regularly, just occasionally, but judging by the reports on this forum and my limited experience it is typically much calmer and much less disruption prone than Euston. If you don't mind the journey taking around half an hour longer and ending up a bit further from Liverpool Street, it could be a good alternative.

Wolfie

Established Member

Avanti staff at Euston are not exactly famous for being helpful....

Wolfie

Established Member
I don't use Marylebone regularly, just occasionally, but judging by the reports on this forum and my limited experience it is typically much calmer and much less disruption prone than Euston. If you don't mind the journey taking around half an hour longer and ending up a bit further from Liverpool Street, it could be a good alternative.
It certainly used to be. Chiltern trains now regularly being shorter has somewhat undermined that.

nanstallon

Avanti are dreadful. I'd far rather a slightly longer journey on Chiltern, which at least is more civilised and reliable.