• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

request for something we ALL can enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxkid

Yeah, I mean instead of in cab view, how bout a heads out view? Who would like that?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
I honestly think that the BVE trains are best 'in cab', how they are supposed to be. As said by someone else, it'll be possible to move the driving position more to the left so that there's a better view from the cab. It's far better when you can see all the controls and gauges as well as the track ahead of you rather than JUST the track.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Since trains are mainly drivern based on visual indications from outside the cab, having a good view forward is crucial to being able to drive properly. On the other hand, gauges are secondary, even the speedo is only there as a cross referance against what you can see and hear, and many steam (and early EMUs) didn't have them, infact the most important gauge is usually the brake pipe gauge, particularly with none self lapping brakes (those with release-lap-apply positions, rarther than proportional notchs). Other gauges are of very little importance, and infact most gauges on a steam loco are for the benefit of the fireman, not the driver. I'd say the best driving position for a BVE steam loco would be to have a view of the track straight ahead, either through the window or head-out, with main gauges (brake pipe and speedo) to the right hand side. Remember, the scrolling view of BVE 4 allows the viewing position to be moved, and on a steam loco this could be particularly useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.