• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restoring your Railway Fund Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantinghome

Established Member
I didn`t notice the labour party rushing to reopen lines / stations in constituencies of any colour
You didn't? Well here they are, passenger line reopenings between 1997 and 2010:

Romsey to Eastleigh
Chiltern line extension to Aylesbury Vale Parkway
Robin Hood line extension to Worksop
Corby branch
Chase line extension to Rugeley Trent Valley
Stirling to Alloa
Argyle line extension to Larkhall
Sunderland to South Hylton (Metro)
East London Line extension / reopening as London Overground
Barry to Bridgend
Ebbw Vale
Brighouse line

That's just line reopenings. Numerous new stations on existing lines were also opened.

I haven't included schemes e.g. East West Rail which were started by Labour but weren't open by 2010.

The probable reason you didn't hear much about these schemes is that they're relatively small compared to the far bigger investments going on at the time - HS1, WCML upgrade, and although they were regarded as being rather cynical opportunists at the time, New Labour have nothing on the current government for hyping up small investments.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I didn`t notice the labour party rushing to reopen lines / stations in constituencies of any colour
The Tories aren't. This is all fluff.

Now that Stoke-on-Trent is a marginal it will get very interesting not just for Stoke-on-Trent but all of Staffordshire.
No it isn't. What is going to happen is lots of PR and opportunities for the appaling local MP (Gullis?) to smarm up to Johnson

Last edited:

pdeaves

Established Member
Nowhere in mind; just in general
Remember that, if somewhere didn't place a bid, they cannot win. This isn't a list of places that the DfT has thought up to fun, it is the result of assessing bids. If a council (or anyone else, for that matter) did not make a bid, it is them that should be criticised.

Verulamius

Appendix B lists schemes not progressing. These include

Map No. Name Region Route into RYR
To reinstate the passing loop between St
Albans Abbey and Watford Junction
(Abbey Line)
East of England Ideas Fund 1
46 To reinstate the Bury-Heywood-Rochdale
lines North West Ideas Fund 1
To reintroduce passenger services
between Clitheroe and Hellifield and
explore freight options
North West Ideas Fund 1
48 To reinstate branch lines on the Isle of
Wight South East Ideas Fund 1
49 Reopened lines and new passenger
services, Kemble - Cirencester South West Ideas Fund 2
Reopened lines and new passenger
services, Stratford Upon Avon -
Honeybourne - Worcester/Oxford
West Midlands Ideas Fund 2
51 Reopened lines and new passenger
services, Melton Mowbray - Nottingham East Midlands Ideas Fund 2
services, Alfreton – Ashfield (Maid Marian
Line)
East Midlands Ideas Fund 2

vic-rijrode

...and still no sign of the Stratford upon Avon and Midland Junction and Banbury and Cheltenham Direct Railways reopening - sigh!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
...and still no sign of the Stratford upon Avon and Midland Junction and Banbury and Cheltenham Direct Railways reopening - sigh!
Presuming this is a joke - but if not that’s because no one applied for finding to do it!

(Abbey Line)
explore freight options
North West Ideas Fund 1
Line)

those are proposals that were granted funding through RYR to develop a business case and have now been determined as not to be progressed further having done that. Presumably because the business case was not up to scratch. Note that Isle of Wight and Stratford - Honeybourne are in this list, as widely predicted on the threads about them some time ago.

separately in appendix B is a list of more projects that will not be progressed further with central Government funding; these were proposed and had some funding before the Restoring Your Railway ’ideas‘ fund was set up. These projects are:

Brentford to Southall
West London Orbital (Dudding Hill)
Hooton to Helsby
Chinnor ‘Railway Resilience and Sustainability’ (whatever that is)
Thames Gateway Tramlink
Mayor and Undy Station
Pontrilas Station
North Cotswold Line

Last edited:

vic-rijrode

Presuming this is a joke - but if not that’s because no one applied for finding to do it!
Just possibly tongue in cheek sir. As ironstone quarrying from the Banbury district has long since ceased, there probably wouldn't be much calling for these lines now...

javelin

(Abbey Line)
explore freight options
North West Ideas Fund 1
Line)

The list is of schemes not progressing with RYR funding; some may have alternative sources of funds to develop past SOBC. For instance Bury-Heywood-Rochdale is progressing under CRSTS.

Chester1

Established Member
The lines chosen aren't really a surprise as there is a lot of politics in play here.

• With the Aldridge line it passes through Walsall North which went Conservative in 2017.
  • With the Barrow Hill Line it passes through North East Derbyshire and Bolsover which were gained by the Conservatives in 2017 and 2019 respectively.
  • The Ivanhoe Line passes through Burton, South Derbyshire and North West Leicestershire which are all currently Conservative held but were Labour during the Blair years.
  • Meir is in Stoke-on-Trent south which was gained by the Conservatives in 2017.
  • Fleetwood is in Lancaster and Fleetwood which was Conservative until 2015 although winnable.
  • Ferryhill is in Sedgefield which of course is Tony Blair's former seat and went Conservative in 2019.
Meir in particular is an interesting one as since 2000 the Stoke-on-Trent area has lost 3 stations (Wedgwood, Barlaston and Etruria) and Longport has less trains calling at it than it did in 2000. The Conservatives will want to show they are actually going to do something about the railways in the city.

Colour me surprised! All in new Tory seats. never. Who knew?

The other way of looking at it is that there are very few reopening proposals where the Tories don't have some sort of political interest. Labour seats are predominantly in cities and the vast majority of the proposed reopenings are in rural or semi rural areas.

Kent99

Obviously party politics and various stakeholder related mysteries at play, but it's sad nonetheless to see the list of failed bids. Some questionable propositions, but must be remembered how much hard work, campaigning, often voluntary hours goes into these schemes. I do feel for Haverhill..

Gathursty

Established Member
We can build HS2 but not put a passing loop on the Abbey line. I cant even speak.

John Luxton

Established Member
Given that the Blackpool Tramway branch to North Station is nearing completion is Fleetwood a sensible idea forgetting the politics of the area when perhaps something else might be worth spending the money on? Wasn't there a suggestion a while back to perhaps even convert the former Fleetwood line into a tramway to create a circular tram route?

modernrail

I am really enjoying watching loads of my tax payer pounds being burnt in consultants fees to stretch all of this out until after the next election.

Presumably all of the calcs in the original business cases are null and void anyway with the huge change in travelling patterns.

Meanwhile the DfT orders Northern to cut services on some of the most important commuter lines in the north.

Meanwhile, nobody can find any money to build 2 new platforms at the small rural station of Manchester Piccadilly.

Kingham West

Just possibly tongue in cheek sir. As ironstone quarrying from the Banbury district has long since ceased, there probably wouldn't be much calling for these lines now...
Kingham -Cheltenham runs through some of the most economically strong parts of Europe , unfortunately in 1962 it was not an economic boom zone .
I suspect it would be very busy if it had survived , Banbury as noted finished in 1945 when the ironstone was rerouted .

Codville

Given that the Blackpool Tramway branch to North Station is nearing completion is Fleetwood a sensible idea forgetting the politics of the area when perhaps something else might be worth spending the money on? Wasn't there a suggestion a while back to perhaps even convert the former Fleetwood line into a tramway to create a circular tram route?
I suggest reading the feasibility study it goes into detail about tram conversion or tram train operation, the tram extension to Blackpool North doesn't solve the connectivity problems Fleetwood has either because it might shave a five minute walk off a half an hour or more tram ride into Blackpool.

thenorthern

Established Member
The other way of looking at it is that there are very few reopening proposals where the Tories don't have some sort of political interest. Labour seats are predominantly in cities and the vast majority of the proposed reopenings are in rural or semi rural areas.

Fair point, I think as well the last election skewed it a bit as Labour did badly in semi rural working class areas like Bishop Auckland but did better in major cities cities (Let's not forget they gained Putney).

WatcherZero

Established Member
I suggest reading the feasibility study it goes into detail about tram conversion or tram train operation, the tram extension to Blackpool North doesn't solve the connectivity problems Fleetwood has either because it might shave a five minute walk off a half an hour or more tram ride into Blackpool.

Feasibility study seems to conclude that all the options are equal, equal BCR of 1.3 and WEI 1.5. Connectivity an equal balance between better Blackpool connections and better regional connections, Tram options would offer a more frequent service while rail would offer a slightly faster service, Heavy rail would be cheaper construction, light rail would have cheaper fares and twice as many passengers.

The report pretty much says you may as well flip a coin to choose which mode to go for though Tram-train seems to compare unfavorably with much higher construction costs than tram or normal heavy rail (though it does cheat a bit by comparing the outright purchase price of a tram or tram-train to the annual leasing cost of a train for a single year without adjusting for the life of the asset).

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
We can build HS2 but not put a passing loop on the Abbey line. I cant even speak.

We can build a passing loop on the Abbey Line, but the business case prepared by the proposers must have shown that it was not worth doing. Knowing the line myself rather well, it’s hardly a surprise.

cle

Established Member
Kingham -Cheltenham runs through some of the most economically strong parts of Europe , unfortunately in 1962 it was not an economic boom zone .
I suspect it would be very busy if it had survived , Banbury as noted finished in 1945 when the ironstone was rerouted .
What big employers are there? Bustling hubs?

Or are you thinking "wealthy retirees and ex-urban commuters" ? That's not really a market to build for - I can't envisage any new housing at scale in the Cotswolds!

I would like to know the business case for the extension to Blackpool North!
Average speed on Blackpool trams around 12mph.
Fleetwood certainly needs investment. Conversion to tramway has not been ruled out.
My preference for Fleetwood would be heavy rail. Cheapest and fastest.
Tram train top speed I believe is 60mph. This could cause timing issues between Poulton and Preston.
More reading Lancashire County Council https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/media/925250/fleetwood-railway-line-reopening-feasibility-study.pdf

Last edited:

Pinza-C55

Firsby to Mablethorpe would need a lot of level crossings or expensive bridges to replace them. I'm surprised it was even submitted.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Firsby to Mablethorpe would need a lot of level crossings or expensive bridges to replace them. I'm surprised it was even submitted.

It wasn’t, it’s a separate thing in connection with the nuclear waste proposal

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Ferryhill on its own doesn't really have a massive benefit. it would most likely see a similar service to Chester Le Street in its solo form, and would provide a comvenient railhead for Ferryhill and Spennymoor which have both lost their significant industrial employment and effectively become dormitory towns, and Sedgefield Where it would really benefit is as part of a wider regeneration of the leamside, stillington, Scotswood and south hylton routes which could develop a wider north east metro type network expanding on the Blyth and Tyne and could see stations at Sedgefield, Norton, Shincliffe, Durham Belmont, Fencehouses (for Houghton Le Spring) and especially Washington, and provide improved Tyne-Tees connectivity via the branches, the coast and the ECML and boost capacity north of Northallerton where the planned improvements there also opens up the picton route as additional ECML capacity. There is feright potential as Amazon has a warehouse right next to the ECML junction at Tursdale and another in Washington near to Nissan which is also right alongside the Leamside and has a disused trackbed which could link directly to Tyne Dock where the cars are exported. Theres a lot of wider potential.

Pinza-C55

Ferryhill on its own doesn't really have a massive benefit. it would most likely see a similar service to Chester Le Street in its solo form, and would provide a comvenient railhead for Ferryhill and Spennymoor which have both lost their significant industrial employment and effectively become dormitory towns, and Sedgefield Where it would really benefit is as part of a wider regeneration of the leamside, stillington, Scotswood and south hylton routes which could develop a wider north east metro type network expanding on the Blyth and Tyne and could see stations at Sedgefield, Norton, Shincliffe, Durham Belmont, Fencehouses (for Houghton Le Spring) and especially Washington, and provide improved Tyne-Tees connectivity via the branches, the coast and the ECML and boost capacity north of Northallerton where the planned improvements there also opens up the picton route as additional ECML capacity. There is feright potential as Amazon has a warehouse right next to the ECML junction at Tursdale and another in Washington near to Nissan which is also right alongside the Leamside and has a disused trackbed which could link directly to Tyne Dock where the cars are exported. Theres a lot of wider potential.

I don't think the Leamside Line will be reopened in my my lifetime and Washington - Tyne Dock is a complete non starter. It would require at least 3 road level crossings and a rail/rail flat crossing at Boldon Colliery.

Kingham West

What big employers are there? Bustling hubs?

Or are you thinking "wealthy retirees and ex-urban commuters" ? That's not really a market to build for - I can't envisage any new housing at scale in the Cotswolds!
3 day a week commuters , have you seen Kingham Car Park , BMW , Porsche , Range Rover , first class tickets ..
Going forward 50 years the railway needs to be where the economy is , and I fear that is not the 1960s conurbations ..

leytongabriel

Optimistic reporting or is this where it's really at?

Fleetwood Poulton rail link: Plans to reopen line approved​

Published
3 days ago

Defunct railway line Poulton to Fleetwood
Image source, LDRS
Image caption,
Campaigners have petitioned to re-open the Poulton to Fleetwood line for years
Plans to reinstate a disused railway line between two Lancashire towns have been approved by the government.
Campaigners have fought for years to reopen the Poulton to Fleetwood link, which has been shut since the 1970s.
The Department for Transport has now agreed to fund the development of the line.
Blackpool North and Cleveleys MP Paul Maynard welcomed the news, adding he had been "waiting for it for a long time, as have many residents".
The Conservative MP said he hoped it would take cars off the road and bring the two towns closer together, adding "we're now down to the nitty gritty... of how we do it, and when we do it".
"I look forward to talking to the likes of Network Rail to understand when the trains are going to hit the ground," he said.

'Superb news'​

Leader of Wyre Borough Council David Henderson, said the "superb news" that plans were moving to the next stage of development had given him "extreme pleasure".
The Conservative councillor said developers will now look at "what kind of either heavy rail, light rail or tram to bring in".
Cat Smith, Labour MP for Lancaster and Fleetwood, tweeted that she was "delighted" after campaigning for the move since 2015.
Earlier this year, Eddie Fisher, president of Poulton & Wyre Railway Society, said, if the plans were approved, it would "massively" improve prospects for young people.
"At the moment, young people in Fleetwood and Thornton have real difficulty accessing education. This would make a massive difference," he added.

Last edited by a moderator:

fgwrich

Established Member
Optimistic reporting or is this where it's really at?

Fleetwood Poulton rail link: Plans to reopen line approved​

Published
3 days ago

Defunct railway line Poulton to Fleetwood
Image source, LDRS
Image caption,
Campaigners have petitioned to re-open the Poulton to Fleetwood line for years
Plans to reinstate a disused railway line between two Lancashire towns have been approved by the government.
Campaigners have fought for years to reopen the Poulton to Fleetwood link, which has been shut since the 1970s.
The Department for Transport has now agreed to fund the development of the line.
Blackpool North and Cleveleys MP Paul Maynard welcomed the news, adding he had been "waiting for it for a long time, as have many residents".
The Conservative MP said he hoped it would take cars off the road and bring the two towns closer together, adding "we're now down to the nitty gritty... of how we do it, and when we do it".
"I look forward to talking to the likes of Network Rail to understand when the trains are going to hit the ground," he said.

'Superb news'​

Leader of Wyre Borough Council David Henderson, said the "superb news" that plans were moving to the next stage of development had given him "extreme pleasure".
The Conservative councillor said developers will now look at "what kind of either heavy rail, light rail or tram to bring in".
Cat Smith, Labour MP for Lancaster and Fleetwood, tweeted that she was "delighted" after campaigning for the move since 2015.
Earlier this year, Eddie Fisher, president of Poulton & Wyre Railway Society, said, if the plans were approved, it would "massively" improve prospects for young people.
"At the moment, young people in Fleetwood and Thornton have real difficulty accessing education. This would make a massive difference," he added.
I did wonder when I saw that. I think the journalist has been a little optimistic there and somewhat jumped the gun by a fair bit!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Status
Not open for further replies.