• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restriction 9D Validity Interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

35B

Established Member
I have a ticket with a route restriction of "via Peterborough" and a ticket restriction of 9D. I'm looking at using it to travel via the Lea Valley and then across the Fens to Peterborough, rather than use the ECML. I'm struggling to interpret the results I'm getting from journey planners and what they actually mean in terms of the ticket validity.

The NRE restriction wording is as follows (this will be the "outward" leg of a single ticket):

Outward Travel​

Not valid for departures from:
  • London Terminals (except as shown below) after 02:59 and before 09:06 and after 14:59 and before 18:59 (18:15 on Fridays);
  • London Liverpool Street after 04:29 and before 09:30;
  • London St Pancras International after 04:29 and before 10:05 and after 15:34 and before 18:48;
  • London Euston after 04:29 and before 09:26 and after 15:00 and before 18:45;
  • Stevenage after 02:59 and before 09:19 and after 15:07 and before 19:01 (18:35 on Fridays);
  • Luton after 02:29 and before 10:25 and after 15:23 and before 19:23;
  • Luton Airport Parkway after 02:29 and before 10:51 and after 15:08 and before 19:10;
  • Bedford after 04:29 and before 10:30;
  • Watford Junction after 04:29 and before 09:38 and after 14:38 and before 18:38;
  • Milton Keynes Central after 04:29 and before 09:51.
My reading of the restriction is that it generally applies in the afternoon/evening between 15:00 & 18:59, but that the "except as shown below" means that it doesn't affect journeys out of Liverpool Street in the evening. But journey planner searches are showing that I can use the ticket on the 18:37 from Liverpool Street, but not earlier in the evening rush.

Am I or the journey planners missing something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
BRFares shows an "unpublished" 1629-1834 evening peak restriction from Liverpool Street, which journey planners are applying.

I suspect this is what the restriction is intended to be, and there's an oversight in the text version on NRE.

35B

Established Member
BRFares shows an "unpublished" 1629-1834 evening peak restriction from Liverpool Street, which journey planners are applying.

I suspect this is what the restriction is intended to be, and there's an oversight in the text version on NRE.
Many thanks; that makes total sense. As my ticket has been pre-purchased separately (I'd be making this journey short notice depending on events on the day), where would I stand in terms of being able to rely on the published restriction? I appreciate that I wouldn't be able to generate an itinerary.

Benjwri

Established Member
Many thanks; that makes total sense. As my ticket has been pre-purchased separately (I'd be making this journey short notice depending on events on the day), where would I stand in terms of being able to rely on the published restriction? I appreciate that I wouldn't be able to generate an itinerary.
I’d say more clear cut than most, the including of evening restrictions on some but not others does imply there aren’t any.

Status
Not open for further replies.