• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restriction Code 1A: Chelmsford to Heathrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canary73

I travelled from Chelmsford to Heathrow this week and enquired with the ticket office on the cheapest way to do this as I had planned to get to Travel Card singles - both off peak. I made it clear that I wanted a ticket that covered the Elizabeth Line from Liverpool Street to Heathrow. I was told that the open return (attached) was valid. On arrival at Heathrow, the station staff said the ticket was not valid and was for underground only. I know that when I purchase a travel card it says travel card zones and that the use of travel cards to Heathrow has been previously discussed. I sent a tweet to both Greater Anglia and TfL to understand who is right or wrong but neither have bothered to reply. When I look up code 1A. I can't see any restrictions covering the Elizabeth Line. Having landed yesterday evening, I got the Piccadilly Line back and it took over three hours to get home but this was more to do with the perils of late travel on a Friday night. I'd welcome any thoughts on this.

Attachments

• IMG_6522.JPG
    IMG_6522.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 72
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alholmes

Looks like you’ve been sold the wrong ticket. The destination is London Underground Zones 1-6, so would only be valid on National Rail from Chelmsford to Liverpool Street, then onward to a London Underground station (though may be valid on Elizabeth Line as far as Paddington as well, but not beyond).

The endorsement code 1A only relates to the national rail element, not the underground element.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The restriction code merely gives details of time and break of journey restrictions. It doesn't indicate the routes that are permitted.

The reason this ticket isn't valid on the Elizabeth Line out to Heathrow is that TfL have adopted a ridiculous fares policy in an attempt to have their cake and eat it.

Their policy is that tickets must have Underground validity (e.g. cross-London/Maltese Cross or U Zones) to be used in the Crossrail core, but tickets with Underground validity cannot be used on the same service out to Heathrow.

You were therefore sold the 'wrong' ticket - you should have been sold one to Heathrow Rail, which would then have been valid on EL services (as well as on Heathrow Express, if the ticket isn't marked "not Heathrow Express"). Given that you explicitly asked for a ticket that could be used on EL services, arguably your ticket was contractually valid on EL services anyway - but good luck proving that (or being let through the barriers, even if you can prove it).

pepperpot80

Going to second that opinion of "wrong ticket sold", no idea why they thought that would be the appropriate ticket. It would have been valid via the Piccadilly line, but not the Elizabeth line.

The natural temptation is to advise that the Off Peak Return from Chelmsford to "Heathrow Rail", valid via Elizabeth Line and Heathrow Express, is the 'proper' ticket to be sold for this journey, but this is £45.70 (with Network Railcard) and there are definitely cheaper ways of doing it.

My preferred option would have been Super Off Peak Day Travelcards from Chelmsford - doing the trick quite nicely at £17.65 x 2 = £35.30, or alternatively an open return to Hayes and Harlington with singles to/from Heathrow at £23.20 + (2 x £6.80) = £36.80, each offering somewhat differing restrictions on your travel to/from Chelmsford.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I travelled from Chelmsford to Heathrow this week and enquired with the ticket office on the cheapest way to do this as I had planned to get to Travel Card singles - both off peak. I made it clear that I wanted a ticket that covered the Elizabeth Line from Liverpool Street to Heathrow. I was told that the open return (attached) was valid. On arrival at Heathrow, the station staff said the ticket was not valid and was for underground only.
It's not valid, however the fact you were sold this ticket when you specifically asked to travel this route, validates the ticket under the National Rail Conditions of Travel and the staff are compelled to let you exit without charge.
. I sent a tweet to both Greater Anglia and TfL to understand who is right or wrong but neither have bothered to reply
TfL have made Crossrail ticketing so confusing, I doubt anyone at GA or TfL's Twitter teams fully understand the rules.

The rules are so ridiculous, retailers (or, more likely, their suppliers) have to implement 'manual hacks' to implement these ludicrous 'rules'.

TfL have adopted a ridiculous fares policy in an attempt to have their cake and eat it.
Very true; TfL are incredibly arrogant and think they can just invent whatever rules they want, without considering any form of common sense and without fully considering the implications of contract and consumer rules.

Sadly we don't have any proper watchdog / consumer organisation / regulator / ombudsman with any teeth who both understands the issues going on and has the power and inclination to do anything about it :(

Haywain

Veteran Member
Sadly we don't have any proper watchdog / consumer organisation / regulator / ombudsman with any teeth who both understands the issues going on and has the power and inclination to do anything about it
Or, indeed, a government (in the shape of DfT).

Status
Not open for further replies.