• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restriction Code 2C/Reasonable Route Query

AntoniC

On 20th May I am travelling Southport to London Euston via Wigan North Western.
I am returning on 21st May and the ticket has a restriction code of 2C and states I can return via any reasonable route.
Code 2C means I have to catch a train after 7PM, but can I travel bacK Euston to Liverpool Lime St then Merseyrail from Liverpool Central to Southport ?
(If I have to return via Wigan North Western /Wigan Wallgate I get home approx 1 hr later than going via Liverpool Lime St).

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Morning!

I’m not in a position to look things up at the mo - but it’s worth noting a key difference. The ticket will be routed any permitted route rather than any reasonable.

Permitted routes are defined in an industry document called the Routing Guide. Others will be along to explain this I’m sure!

TP

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Via Liverpool is definitely a permitted route from Euston to Southport, indeed I'd say is the most obvious, assuming the ticket doesn't have a route restriction on it prohibiting that.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
As @transportphoto says, that fare is routed "Any Permitted". This means you can use any route that's permitted under the National Rail Conditions of Travel and the Routeing Guide, rather than meaning that any route you feel like is permitted!

In this case, permitted routes for London to Southport include travel via Wigan or Liverpool, amongst many other routes such as via Chester and/or Shrewsbury.

JBuchananGB

The Northern Rail web site will sell you an Open Return, without you stipulating the return route. It might let you fulfil it by e-ticket or by ToD. If you go for e-ticket, be aware that Merseyrail claim that holders of e-tickets should print them out before travelling on their trains. Their is a very long thread elsewhere which talks about Merseyrail confusing CCSTs fulfilled by ToD with e-tickets. If you go for ToD you can collect the tickets at the Southport station ticket shop.

AntoniC

The Northern Rail web site will sell you an Open Return, without you stipulating the return route. It might let you fulfil it by e-ticket or by ToD. If you go for e-ticket, be aware that Merseyrail claim that holders of e-tickets should print them out before travelling on their trains. Their is a very long thread elsewhere which talks about Merseyrail confusing CCSTs fulfilled by ToD with e-tickets. If you go for ToD you can collect the tickets at the Southport station ticket shop.
Thanks,
I have already collected the tickets from Lime St as I work in central Liverpool

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
On an Any Permitted ticket You should be able to travel via Birmingham and High Wycombe (to Marylebone) or via Oxford (to Paddington) if you wish.
Each route has different time restrictions for an off-peak ticket.
Check on NRE web site with "2C" as the code.

AntoniC

On an Any Permitted ticket You should be able to travel via Birmingham and High Wycombe (to Marylebone) or via Oxford (to Paddington) if you wish.
Each route has different time restrictions for an off-peak ticket.
Check on NRE web site with "2C" as the code.
No thanks,
I want to get home as quickly possible !

JBuchananGB

I have already collected the tickets from Lime St as I work in central Liverpool

If you have a good idea as to which train you will catch from Euston to Liverpool you can reserve a seat on it using the GWR booking site.