• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restriction Code 4B and an easement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

[.n]

** I can't seem to find the 4B code on NRE - I can find a B4 though **

I'm trying not give the specific journey, but hopefully am providing enough detail to make the query understandable.

If I buy a SVR with restriction code 4B, then brfares.com shows that there is an easement that allows the use of the 09.13 train from Southampton.

So fairly obviously if I'm already at Southampton and my journey started at Southampton, I can ignore the 0429 to 0930 restriction

However if I'm starting my journey from for example Southampton Airport (i.e. I have to go to Southampton and change train to the complete) then what is the earliest train I can catch from Southampton Airport.

a) Is it a train that allows me to get to Southampton with sufficient interchange time to catch the 09.13
b) Any train I want that gets to Southampton in the morning as long as I don't leave Southampton before the 09.13 (if for example I want to have time to have breakfast on the on platform Pumpkin Cafe)
c) The first train after 09.30, thus meaning I can't catch the 09.13 even though it seems that this is breaking the purpose of having that easement in any case

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Your problem is that AFAIK (I've checked BRFares, using a random destination in Southern territory, as the 0913 is a Victoria train) there is no easement relating to Southampton Airport. So even if there is a 4B-restricted fare for your journey, you can't use it to get to Southampton for the 0913.

[.n]

Your problem is that AFAIK (I've checked BRFares, using a random destination in Southern territory, as the 0913 is a Victoria train) there is no easement relating to Southampton Airport. So even if there is a 4B-restricted fare for your journey, you can't use it to get to Southampton for the 0913.

Which is what I'm trying to work out - is there an implied easement to allow you to get the 09.13 train given that the only valid route for the ticket in question involves getting the train from Soton, so if you're travelling from further afield the you need to change there.

I think its obvious that the intention of the easement is allow earlier travel from Soton, as the destination (London Victoria) will only be reached considerably after peak time, and that seems to be how all the other easements I'm of in SWR/GWR regions work. they tend to get more restrictive the "further up the line towards London" you go. So for some trains they are "off peak" for some of the stations called at during the journey, but "peak" for others as we get closer to London.

It seems very counter intuitive to be allowed to take a train (in this case the 09.13) if boarding closer to the destination than if starting further away.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There are no fares from Southampton Airport Parkway that are priced by Govia Thameslink Railway. That is no doubt why cheaper fares don't exist.

I tend to find your unlikely to get cheaper fares in the former Network Southsea area if you are using mutiple train operators.

No doubt others can prove that this is not the case. I've tended not to find them though.

[.n]

There are no fares from Southampton Airport Parkway that are priced by Govia Thameslink Railway. That is no doubt why cheaper fares don't exist.

I tend to find your unlikely to get cheaper fares in the former Network Southsea area if you are using mutiple train operators.

No doubt others can prove that this is not the case. I've tended not to find them though.

I possibly shouldn't have used Southampton Airport as my example starting station, looking at Bournemouth for example gives you the same tickets with the 4B restriction (and GTR/Southern are the fare setters).

Now how odd is that you have to leave Bournemouth after 09.30 to change at Southampton to continue your journey, when if you had started at Southampton closer to your destination you could have left at 09.13 - it makes a huge difference in arrival time and seems to go against the general principle that it should be cheaper to travel later (outside of the morning peak).

As far as I can tell if you have a SVR with the 4B it seems very odd that it suddenly becomes valid earlier in your journey once you've reached Southampton (if you boarded at Bournemouth) and so you could have taken an earlier service from your changeover point.

Veteran Member
Southern are happy for you to use the 0913 as SOU is the only station it serves before 0930. It simplifies on-train checking.
Most of the 4B easements are similar, allowing a slightly early start.

I doubt if SWR would agree to an easement allowing you to start at 0830 from Bournemouth, or at 0730 from Weymouth.
(Note - these have no London fares via Barnham, in case people are confused by the earlier reference to Victoria).

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
As far as I can tell if you have a SVR with the 4B it seems very odd that it suddenly becomes valid earlier in your journey once you've reached Southampton (if you boarded at Bournemouth) and so you could have taken an earlier service from your changeover point.

It's not so very different from the issues the blanket 0930 restriction causes on XC. The further from your origin, the later you get to arrive.

The restriction is 0930. As a favour, there are a few specific trains you can catch slightly before 0930. It doesn't extend to connections into those trains, just as it wouldn't extend to letting you set out early to catch a connecting train at 0931.

[.n]

It's not so very different from the issues the blanket 0930 restriction causes on XC. The further from your origin, the later you get to arrive.

The restriction is 0930. As a favour, there are a few specific trains you can catch slightly before 0930. It doesn't extend to connections into those trains, just as it wouldn't extend to letting you set out early to catch a connecting train at 0931.

I had forgotten the XC example, stupidly as its one of the connecting journeys I was thinking of, as well as SWR ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.