• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restriction Code CI and Peterborough-Cambridge-Liverpool Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

mallard

Established Member
Restriction code CI, used by some EMT "Super Off-Peak" tickets to London (e.g. Nottingham) only deals directly with journeys to St. Pancras, but includes to following text for journeys to other terminals:

Restriction: CI said:
Journeys to London Kings Cross
and Stevenage please use
restriction code 1L
Journeys to Euston please use
restriction 2C

If travel is NOT to/via the
stations listed above or
Peterborough, see restriction
code 2V.

The problem is, that according to the routing guide, it appears that Nottigham to London is also valid via Cambridge the West Anglia line into Liverpool Street (Maps NL+ER). Since such a journey is via Peterborough, but not Kings Cross or Stevenage, none of the referenced restriction codes seem to apply. So what would the restrictions be for this journey? Would it be right to assume that since the route is not mentioned, the "Super Off-Peak" ticket is completely unrestricted for this route?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think that is a logical conclusion.

If you look at the equivalent ticket from Peterborough, this is valid to/from Liverpool St "at or after 0930". What are the chances of you getting to Liverpool St before this time from Nottingham? Quite slim I'd have thought, as even the 0451 from Nottingham would get you on the 0818 from Cambridge and then into Liverpool St at 0934. On the return, yes you could leave Liverpool St earlier than 0930 but this will offer no advantage fare-wise over Anytime fares to places like Cambridge, and I doubt the trains are that busy so they probably aren't fussed. I suppose if you left Liverpool St stupidly early you could probably beat the first Super Off Peak train from St Pancras.

So, my conclusion is that there are no peak restrictions out of LST on this ticket, but this does not introduce any anomalies and isn't really that surprising.

mallard

Established Member
It does seem to introduce some anomalies, since the ticket allows break of journey you can use it for destinations short of London and in some cases (e.g Cambridge, including route "NOT LONDON") it is cheaper than the equivalent Anytime ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.