• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restriction J8: Norwich to Kings Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hi All,

NRW - Norwich
ELY - ELY
KGX - London Kings Cross
0035 - London Zones 1-6
EMT - East Midlands Trains
TLGN - Thameslink Great Northern

The situation:
  • I hold an Off Peak Day Travelcard, NRW to 0035
  • The relevant restriction for this ticket is J8.
  • I am trying to travel on the following services:
  • 07:57 NRW ELY 08:45
  • 08:58 ELY KGX 10:13
  • Journey planners do not show this as valid…
  • As a result of previous, TLGN and EMT Social Media teams are saying this wouldn't be valid, referring me to National Rail Enquiries.

Having had a dig into BR Fares, the 'Unpublished Restrictions' show that it is not valid to depart NRW between 04:00 and 08:05, which probably explains why this is not showing as valid on Journey Planners.

To me, this is a fairly open and shut case that this ticket is valid on this itinerary, however for reassurance, could someone cast their eye over proceedings and advise accordingly, please?

Cheers,

TP

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks valid to me. Bring a printout of the relevant restriction code (or have it available on a mobile device).

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Thanks Ainsworth74 for your help. Just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Those secret restrictions are not enforceable, and the social media teams are wrong (they should really say something like "I am not sure, I will get back to you" and ask an expert, or give you contact details for someone who will know, rather than make things up).

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I can tell they're relying on Journey Planner, however if I can scrape a 'Yes, it's valid' from them, it's slightly better standing for any potential arguments when travelling :smile: ;)

TP

22:44… TLGN have now tweeted to confirm its valid.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
I've been looking at some fares for something else and I guess those hidden restriction are to block out that 0757 EMT service for Off Peak Tickets to prevent people from catching peak XC services at Ely which have later off peak times. Or something.

But I concur, yea, valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.