• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retailer refunded wrong ticket, for a journey I had taken

mad_rich

I tried to make a change to an Advance ticket yesterday, because I arrived early at the station. I had a ticket for the 10:27 but had arrived just in time for the 10:00.

Uber offers fee-free changes. You have to buy the new ticket, then request a refund for the original.

So I booked the new ticket at about 09:54 ... but then 1 minute later at the gate, I discovered I’d booked it for the wrong day!

I quickly messaged Uber to see if they'd be kind enough to refund it, booked in error. And boarded the 10:27 with my original ticket.

Uber then messaged me back, just as I was getting off at York, saying they'd refunded the booking for the 10:27. (That's the ticket I had already used.)

They don't seem to have understood the problem. In the end I have paid the right fare, but I've been refunded for a journey I took (and scanned). Is this likely to be a problem when the ticket is audited? And if so, is it my problem or Uber's?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fandroid

Established Member
Welcome to the forum. First advice is keep any messages!

It could be your problem if not resolved and the train company looks at refunds.

You should immediately write to Uber by email if they publish an email address, and you should point out the invidious position their error has put you in, with a potential threat of prosecution hanging over you if they don't put in writing that it's their error and sort out any financial differences that may have arisen.

mad_rich

Thanks. I have email copies of the conversation with Uber/ Omio. Their replies don't seem to grasp the problem, but keep telling by me that I can change the second ticket.

I've sent another one this morning, which hopefully covers everything?
Thanks for trying to call me yesterday. Sorry you couldn’t get through.

My only concern is that you've refunded a ticket that I traveled on, which is not what I requested. I'm concerned that this might be put me in a bad position legally, because the ticket has been used.

Could you please confirm that I didn't ever request cancellation of ticket number xxxxx?