• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retailers are being forced to sell impossible itineraries, due to incorrect GTR timetable data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
On Saturdays in January, the line would appear to be closed between Hitchin and Peterborough to some degree, meaning that LNER are diverting via Cambridge and Ely.

While their revised timings are in the system, GN's are not, and the standard WTT is currently all that's in there.

Tickets for the first Saturday, 05/01, are now out.

Hence, the LNER website is suggesting that passengers wanting to leave London as late as possible catch a 20:16 GN service to Peterborough from London, overtake the diverted 19:46 to Newcastle, and connect at Peterborough. Not only that, but they're actually selling AP tickets with this suggestion. Logic would suggest that GN likely aren't going to be running through via Huntingdon if LNER aren't. Anyone rocking up at King's Cross with tickets for this route towards York, Northallerton, Darlington, Durham and Newcastle is going to find themselves in a right old mess.

They can also book the direct trains, but at xx16 every hour, the 'overtake' option is offered.

Some serious disjointed planning going on here?

Image of what's up here-

https://imgur.com/a/UZZVMpi

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Logic would suggest that GN likely aren't going to be running through via Huntingdon if LNER aren't.
Logic doesn't come into it. If GTR have uploaded these trains into the timetable data feed then tickets must be sold against them. It would be remiss of LNER not to sell valid tickets in accordance with the timetable and fares data over their website.

If they're known not to be going to run, GTR shouldn't have uploaded them. If they're cancelled or amended between now and the date of travel in a way that causes delays, GTR may need to pay Delay Repay or arrange alternative transport.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Interesting. From experience I've never known GTR to run through while LNER are sent on a much longer trundle, but if this is the case then good on LNER for giving a same priced option to travel later.

That's why I stuck a "?" in the thread title- I knew there would be some weird off chance that GN would end up running these trains anyway.

Grand Central are however also down as still running an 1818 to Sunderland as usual via Huntingdon, I wonder whether same applies?

D6700

I was looking at these yesterday and also spotted that.

It also revealed yet another bug in the website. The "Go Faster" option said I could save 702 minutes - even though my selected trains only totalled 404 minutes. Strangley, trying it again just now, it will only save me 672 minutes. Either way, it looks like time travel is possible with LNER, so the new name really is appropriate ;)

D6700

Just to add a little info, all lines are blocked between Sandy and Peterborough from 01:20 Saturday until 04:10 Monday...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Notwithstanding the bugs on LNER's website mentioned above, the issue in the opening post is nothing to do with LNER or any other retailer.
Anyone rocking up at King's Cross with tickets for this route towards York, Northallerton, Darlington, Durham and Newcastle is going to find themselves in a right old mess.
If this train is retimed or cancelled this does not invalidate the fact the train companies are contracted to convey the customer at those times.

GTR would be liable for the cost of any taxis and/or overnight accommodation, along with Delay Repay, if the passenger turns up at the contracted time and finds there is no train running at that time.

The itinerary provided at the time of booking is evidence of a contract.

Some train companies have been known to erroneously blame retailers which is absplute nonsense. The timetable data is set by the TOC operating the train, in this case GTR.

I'd single line working is in place it's very possible GTR will be the only operator using the line, while LNER run their diesel trains via Cambridge, so the data cannot be assumed to be incorrect .

D6700

I'd single line working is in place it's very possible GTR will be the only operator using the line, while LNER run their diesel trains via Cambridge, so the data cannot be assumed to be incorrect .

Obviously, as we posted at the same time, you didn't have the benefit of the information in my second post. That said, if there was SLW in place, GTR trains would not be running in their WTT paths. GTR's amended timetable simply hasn't been uploaded yet, which creates false journey opportunities.

alistairlees

Established Member
On Saturdays in January, the line would appear to be closed between Hitchin and Peterborough to some degree, meaning that LNER are diverting via Cambridge and Ely.

While their revised timings are in the system, GN's are not, and the standard WTT is currently all that's in there.

Tickets for the first Saturday, 05/01, are now out.

Hence, the LNER website is suggesting that passengers wanting to leave London as late as possible catch a 20:16 GN service to Peterborough from London, overtake the diverted 19:46 to Newcastle, and connect at Peterborough. Not only that, but they're actually selling AP tickets with this suggestion. Logic would suggest that GN likely aren't going to be running through via Huntingdon if LNER aren't. Anyone rocking up at King's Cross with tickets for this route towards York, Northallerton, Darlington, Durham and Newcastle is going to find themselves in a right old mess.

They can also book the direct trains, but at xx16 every hour, the 'overtake' option is offered.

Some serious disjointed planning going on here?

Image of what's up here-

https://imgur.com/a/UZZVMpi

Journey planners MUST show the fares and schedules that are in the data; if that's wrong (and how would you know? What would you check?) then it should still show as an itinerary. It's the responsibility of the TOCs and Network Rail to get this data right. In an ideal world passengers who were affected by a post-booking change would be informed of this.

robbeech

Established Member
Good to know it is sorted. Yet another case of one TOCs actions making it difficult for another to run their trains and keep their customers happy.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
GTR haven't got the right timetable in the planners for this Saturday at Redhill, let alone any time in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.