• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retro Railtours 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Anybody know what is happening with Retro Railtours? There website has been the same for a while saying tours for 2012 to be announced by the end of last year! Nothing as yet.

Hope all is OK with them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
Anybody know what is happening with Retro Railtours? There website has been the same for a while saying tours for 2012 to be announced by the end of last year! Nothing as yet.

Hope all is OK with them?
According to Facebook the propreitor is in Budapest

I T S

Budapest today, Japan tomorrow, Belfast on Saturday! The lad gets around

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It was realised that Cargo-D were not going to continue trading and they did not want to run any risks that is why there have been no tours for a while. I understand that a new supplier has been found and they have been negotiating some tours, negotiations may be complete by now (I'm not sure) so hopefully we will have confirmation of a tour or two soon.

Retro Railtours do not run many tours however what they will not do is cancel tours at short notice (there is nothing more annoying than that when you have booked accommodation & advance tickets for a tour) or run sub-standard tours. Quality, not quantity is the priority.

Crimson_Quiff

Retro Railtours do not run many tours however what they will not do is cancel tours at short notice (there is nothing more annoying than that when you have booked accommodation & advance tickets for a tour) or run sub-standard tours. Quality, not quantity is the priority.

Amen to that.

Is this quote yours or Jame's? If James can guarantee never to cancel a tour at short notice he must be mad. It does not matter if you run one or one hundred and one tours a year there is always a chance of things going wrong big style at short notice.

Crimson_Quiff

Is this quote yours or Jame's? If James can guarantee never to cancel a tour at short notice he must be mad. It does not matter if you run one or one hundred and one tours a year there is always a chance of things going wrong big style at short notice.

Looking at that side of the argument, that is true. Even the most experienced railtour operators suffer this every now and again. Circumstances beyond their control and all that...

Drimnagh Road

I think in the past James has said that he would never cancel a tour due to lack of bookings, perhaps the statement on the website is meant to reflect that.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There's a huge difference between a tour organiser choosing to cancel a tour (eg due to lack of bookings), and it being forced upon them by a 3rd party. The latter can happen to anyone is out of the control of the organiser.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Things are still progressing with Retro, I spoke to James last night. I would expect something from him in the next few weeks.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Date and proposed destination for the first tour of 2012 are now on the Retro website.

Chester025

I'm surprised no one has asked the immortal question of whether it is air cons or not...

Whistler40145

Established Member
So, will it be Chocolate & Cream Mark 1s or ex-Virgin Mark 2 Air Cons?

Also, will it be no heat 37s or 37409+37423?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson_Quiff

So, will it be Chocolate & Cream Mark 1s or ex-Virgin Mark 2 Air Cons?

Also, will it be no heat 37s or 37409+37423?

My opinion: 2 NB ones and air-cons with genny van! I love these guessing games! :lol:

On a personal note, I'm rather gutted as I will be in Spain on holiday at the time of running so no cigar! :( It's sod's law really! I nudged James for ages to use 37ers and when he finally does, I won't be on it! :roll:

I wonder if Spain still has 37ers? :lol:

Whistler40145

Established Member
I have heard that it's possible that 37087, 37229 & 37510 may go for the chop to reinstate more 37/4s, so if it's true, I would be happy to have 087+229 in a pair for the last time.

junglejames

Established Member
Excellent, 3 months of Class 37 number bingo to enjoy, the days will just fly by...

If i was you, id ignore this thread now until a couple of days before the tour!!!
By then you will have 500 pages of possible combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.