• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Return from Paris with two bicycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

farleigh

Hi all,

I wondered if anybody would be able to help or point me in the direction of some help.

Two of us are cycling from Dieppe to Paris in early August and we are not keen to cycle back to Dieppe. Is it easy to take (non-folding) bikes on French trains or will we run onto problems?

Many thanks in advance for any help that anybody can offer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
TGVs can be problematic but you can get from Paris to Dieppe on regional trains.

https://www.seat61.com/France-trains.htm

You can take a bike with you free of charge on suburban & regional trains. On Intercités de Nuit overnight trains & TGVs on a few routes, you can take them for a small fee, about €10. On other TGVs, you'll need to place you bike in a zip-up 'bike bag' & they then travel free.

mugam4

You can try and find a TGV Reseau operating a Paris - Calais Frethun service that has cycle spaces, or make your way to Frethun via Ter. Cycle over to the Eurotunnel complex (via the east side of Frethun station, through Frethun itself) to the Eurotunnel cycle service

Denis103

There is a good regular fast TER service from Paris St Lazare to Rouen Rive Droit where you have a connection onto a regional service to Dieppe.

farleigh

Thanks mugam4 and Denis103.

St Lazare to Rouen and then Dieppe sounds parfait.

Really grateful

dazzler

You can try and find a TGV Reseau operating a Paris - Calais Frethun service that has cycle spaces, or make your way to Frethun via Ter. Cycle over to the Eurotunnel complex (via the east side of Frethun station, through Frethun itself) to the Eurotunnel cycle service

In 2017, the 09:46 from Paris Nord took bikes, sadly this is no longer the case - the nearest TGV services that take bikes are 07:46 (blooming early and no good for connections out of the couchettes from the south!) or 11:46 (Arrives too late for the lunchtime bike shuttle!!)

I went via Frethun and the Eurotunnel Bike Service, this route is definitely recommended. Taking the bike on a TGV cost €10 extra. Earlier in the trip, I took the train from Le Havre to Paris St. Lazare on the Intercités service, bike carriage being free on this route - this includes the Paris - Rouen section of the Paris - Dieppe route. (In between, I did Paris Austerlitz - Briançon return on the Intercité Nuit service with the bike. Definitely recommended as a way of getting to the Alps for a week (or two) cycling in the mountains!)

Status
Not open for further replies.