• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Return ticket cheaper than a single

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, apologies if this is the wrong thread for this (and if it’s already been questioned which I’m sure it has), but out of interest, how come an off peak return ticket from Motherwell to Shieldmuir, priced at £1.80 is cheaper than a single, at £2.10? The same happens with a return from Glasgow Central to Partick, off peak return is £2 and a single is £2.30.

I’m sure this situation occurs elsewhere but these are the main two that’ve caught my eye. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Hello, apologies if this is the wrong thread for this (and if it’s already been questioned which I’m sure it has), but out of interest, how come an off peak return ticket from Motherwell to Shieldmuir, priced at £1.80 is cheaper than a single, at £2.10? The same happens with a return from Glasgow Central to Partick, off peak return is £2 and a single is £2.30.

I’m sure this situation occurs elsewhere but these are the main two that’ve caught my eye. Thanks

The single is an Anytime ticket, the return is an off-peak ticket. Scotrail haven't priced an off-peak single - they really ought to at the same cost as the off-peak day return to avoid people being overcharged.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
This reminds me of some fares on Greater Anglia where the anytime day single fare is marginally cheaper than an off peak day return fare but there is no such a thing as an off peak day single fare.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Return prices need to be affordable if train companies wish to avoid deterring passengers. The alternative to a return could be not to travel (a return journey may be a discretionary journey) or of course you could go by car.

But single prices do not need to be affordable because these journeys are less likely to be discretionary; the car isn't likely to be an option for anyone wishing to make a single journey. Taxis are expensive.

Some websites will offer a return - without you having to ask for it - if you search for a single journey and a return ticket is cheaper than a single. Most don't. Of course, none of the train company websites do this!

AnkleBoots

At the weekend, the Scotrail machines present the Off Peak Day Return on the main screen if you are going to one of the common destinations, so hopefully people will notice this before they buy a Single.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
AFAIAA the single is a regulated fare & the off peak day return is a non regulated fare. Regulated fares have been rising at a higher rate than non regulated fares due to government policy.

Altfish

I remember once asking for a single from Annan to Carlisle; the conductor said, "You don't want a single, you want a return, they're cheaper."

maxbarnish

What I've found in and around Glasgow sometimes is that I'd be given a day return even if only need a single - apparently it's the same price - but it seems cheap enough anyway. Talking for example about Glasgow Central to Exhibition Centre

JBuchananGB

Similar situation around Liverpool. Merseyrail do not price off-peak singles for journeys wholly on their network, e.g Southport to Hunts Cross single is £6.80 whereas an Off-peak Daysaver for the journey is £5.30. Then they do not offer Railcard discounts on the Daysaver, resulting in the anomaly that a Railcard holder can buy an off-peak return one stop beyond Hunts Cross (Halewood served by Northern) for £3.50.

Status
Not open for further replies.