• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Return ticket - outward and return portions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
I plan to purchase a return ticket to make a journey from the origin station to a destination which is beyond the validity of the outward portion of the ticket but within the validity of the return portion of the ticket. I also plan to resume my journey at that point and continue back to the origin station. Am I allowed to do that without breaking my journey at the ticketed destination? Or am I required to leave the train at that station and then board another train? Would I be OK travelling back to the origin station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I plan to purchase a return ticket to make a journey from the origin station to a destination which is beyond the validity of the outward portion of the ticket but within the validity of the return portion of the ticket. I also plan to resume my journey at that point and continue back to the origin station. Am I allowed to do that without breaking my journey at the ticketed destination? Or am I required to leave the train at that station and then board another train? Would I be OK travelling back to the origin station?
There is no requirement to alight at your destination station; you may switch straight to the return portion.

Unless break of journey is prohibited, you may break your return portion. Return portions of tickets should always allow break of journey. Any break of journey restrictions must be made clear at the time of purchase for them to be considered binding. We normally ask that you state details of the ticket(s) held and journey being made, but I think we can safely say the answer is that it's fine to break your journey.

robbeech

Established Member
I suppose the only caveat is that the train stops at the destination on the outward portion of the ticket. So a fast service between your origin and YOUR destination may not be allowed.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
There is no requirement to alight at your destination station; you may switch straight to the return portion.

Unless break of journey is prohibited, you may break your return portion. Return portions of tickets should always allow break of journey. Any break of journey restrictions must be made clear at the time of purchase for them to be considered binding. We normally ask that you state details of the ticket(s) held and journey being made, but I think we can safely say the answer is that it's fine to break your journey.
I can confirm that the ticket doesn't have any restrictions on breaking the journey.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
To clarify what I mean I want to travel from A to C using a A to B return ticket. Point A is my origin station where I get onboard my train to my destination station which is point C. I plan to use one permitted route to get from A to B and another permitted route to get from B to C. At point C I get off and then get a train back to my origin station, point A later on.

scrapy

Established Member
I suppose the only caveat is that the train stops at the destination on the outward portion of the ticket. So a fast service between your origin and YOUR destination may not be allowed.
Probably one people will have differing opinions on but the NRCOT requires you to be using two or more tickets for your train to have to stop. An outward and return ticket have one ticket number and are just different portions of the same ticket, so I see no requirement in the NRCOT for the train to have to stop.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Probably one people will have differing opinions on but the NRCOT requires you to be using two or more tickets for your train to have to stop. An outward and return ticket have one ticket number and are just different portions of the same ticket, so I see no requirement in the NRCOT for the train to have to stop.

That may be technically so by the wording, but I think you would be certain to get hassle if you tried that.

If the train stops there - of course no requirement to actually alight.

robbeech

Established Member
I’d consider the person to have been overcarried from the last place the train did stop (which may even be the origin). I appreciate if night not be worded brilliantly but as said it likely won’t go without hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.