• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Returning short on Stansted Express at Tottenham Hale

Status
Not open for further replies.

tornado

I have an Advance Open Return Stansted Express ticket from Liverpool St. I want to get to Soho on my return, and can see it's quicker to change onto the Victoria Line at Tottenham Hale.

The ticket rules are clear "you cannot start, break or resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station."

But, in reality, what are the chances of being denied exit at the barriers at Tottenham Hale?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Unfortunately the description you’ve given of your ticket is somewhat vague - could you clarify origin/destination and how much you’ve paid, please?

tornado

London Liverpool St to Stansted Airport. Advance Open Return. About £30.

Valid on Stansted Express only.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sounds very much like the “Anytime Return” at £34.60?

This is not an “Advance” in ticketing terms, just a ticket you’ve bought in advance. It has no break of journey restrictions.

tornado

No. Definitely an Advance, as I saved a few pounds on that price.

Also, I can see that there is now step-free train-tube interchange at Tottenham Hale, so would definitely prefer this if the gateline staff are unlikely to object.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Sounds very much like the “Anytime Return” at £34.60?

This is not an “Advance” in ticketing terms, just a ticket you’ve bought in advance. It has no break of journey restrictions.
It is an Advance unfortunately, just not one restricted to a specific service.

• You can’t start, break or resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station
Sadly it's not permitted to finish short.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I have an Advance Open Return Stansted Express ticket from Liverpool St. I want to get to Soho on my return, and can see it's quicker to change onto the Victoria Line at Tottenham Hale.

The ticket rules are clear "you cannot start, break or resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station."

But, in reality, what are the chances of being denied exit at the barriers at Tottenham Hale?
I wouldn't bother rattling down the Victoria Line now that Crossrail is open anyway. Liverpool Street to Tottenham Court Road on Elizabeth Line is very quick.

All Elizabeth Line stations are step free, and the inclined lift at Liverpool Street is quite a novelty!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It is an Advance unfortunately, just not one restricted to a specific service.

Sadly it's not permitted to finish short.
My mistake, sorry. I only looked at the BR FARES options. Is this a fairly non-standard ticket then?

tornado

I wouldn't bother rattling down the Victoria Line now that Crossrail is open anyway. Liverpool Street to Tottenham Court Road on Elizabeth Line is very quick.

All Elizabeth Line stations are step free, and the inclined lift at Liverpool Street is quite a novelty!

Ah interesting point. Although on this occasion where I want to be is closer to Oxford Circus.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
My mistake, sorry. I only looked at the BR FARES options. Is this a fairly non-standard ticket then?
It's a non-standard ticket type (with a rather unhelpful name) that only Greater Anglia can sell. It's one of quite a few different ticket types and discounts that third party retailers are excluded from selling.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Ah interesting point. Although on this occasion where I want to be is closer to Oxford Circus.
Don't forget that the Elizabeth Line stations have entrances at both ends, so either the west end (Dean Street) of Tottenham Court Road, or the east end (Hanover Square) of Bond Street may be just as near to your destination as Oxford Circus tube.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's a non-standard ticket type (with a rather unhelpful name) that only Greater Anglia can sell. It's one of quite a few different ticket types and discounts that third party retailers are excluded from selling.
Indeed; this is anticompetetive practice and certain TOCs are at risk of a class action claim being launched if they do not cease and desist from this behaviour pretty soon.

It depends on whether the ticket works the barrier or not. When I have used such fares (which I'd only buy if they were at a much cheaper price point) I've always selected Tottenham Hale as that's more convenient than King's Cross.

In theory you could be charged the difference between the price you paid and the lowest priced fare that would have been valid for the actual journey made; this wouldn't be much, if anything. In practice people tend to either be let off entirely (most common) or be charged incorrectly. The correct charge is very rarely applied (if ever!)

Established Member
Advance Open

oh dear.

"ah... so you'd like our Inflexible Flexible ticket sir?" :rolleyes:

As suggested above, to be safe complete the journey and use the Elizabeth Line, it's just as quick - the RPIs are a little strict at GA.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I guess so yes, the linked site has been selling those kind of Advance but not train-specific tickets for a few years, but as far as I'm aware nowhere other than that site has them available?.

As @Watershed points out it doesn't follow the otherwise naming convention so it makes it very confusing. Heathrow Express have something similar. As you hint, it appears unfortunately the OP has only saved a small amount of money in exchange for giving up their right to a refund or to finish short, which is disappointing but in no way their fault.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Advance Open

oh dear.

"ah... so you'd like our Inflexible Flexible ticket sir?" :rolleyes:

"Advance Open" sort of makes sense - bought some time in advance of travel (i.e. days / weeks / months), with no restrictions for use on the chosen day (so 'open' to use at any time).

infobleep

Veteran Member
I was going to link to the National Rail Enquiries page on simple fares but it's gone in the refresh of the Web Site. Perhaps "simple" fares is old hat. So I will link to this thread instead

Status
Not open for further replies.