• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Returning to driving after a few years break?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilymay86

Is it easy or even possible to return to driving Trains after a career break? or a sabbatical to do something else? Or do you completely lose your license and have to start from the beginning again?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Your licence will have been marked as withdrawn if you left the driving grade and the ORR register updated accordingly. A suspended licence expires after 12 months. You can download the briefing document to see where you stand but chances are you'll be looking at starting again.

Stigy

Established Member
Always struck me as strange how licences simply “expire” and require qualified drivers to basically start again after a period of time. You’d think that as with shorter breaks in careers for drivers, they’d be re-briefed and re-assessed in rules and traction as necessary and then be allowed back driving once they’ve satisfied that they have retained their underpinning knowledge.

As far as I’m aware, it’s not like this in many other industries?

fabs

Always struck me as strange how licences simply “expire” and require qualified drivers to basically start again after a period of time. You’d think that as with shorter breaks in careers for drivers, they’d be re-briefed and re-assessed in rules and traction as necessary and then be allowed back driving once they’ve satisfied that they have retained their underpinning knowledge.

It’s very much like that in most safety critical industries.
I’ve come from aviation and my license expired after a certain amount of time.

iSquared

It’s very much like that in most safety critical industries.
I’ve come from aviation and my license expired after a certain amount of time.
An EASA licence doesn’t expire, only the type ratings do. You don’t have to redo your PPL/CPL from scratch, you’d just revalidate it with some retraining and a skills test.

Established Member

It does seem a little odd.

Theoretically it would be possible to drive successfully for years, take a couple of years out, then fail the aptitude tests twice and never be allowed to drive again. It’s unlikely anyone has ever been in that position, but hypothetically it could happen.

Ludus

An EASA licence doesn’t expire, only the type ratings do. You don’t have to redo your PPL/CPL from scratch, you’d just revalidate it with some retraining and a skills test.
Correct. Currency is what we use in aviation. Very odd it's not the same in the railway.

ComUtoR

Established Member
A guy at my TOC came back just shy of 2yrs. No issues whatsoever. This was just before COVID.

fabs

An EASA licence doesn’t expire, only the type ratings do. You don’t have to redo your PPL/CPL from scratch, you’d just revalidate it with some retraining and a skills test
Not everyone in aviation are pilots. My license has expired.

Fortunately ASLEF won’t allow it.
Why fortunately? The safety culture in aviation is streets ahead of the railway.

Aivilo

A guy at my TOC came back just shy of 2yrs. No issues whatsoever. This was just before COVID.
It's been like the across the industry. A good friend of mine had to start over as a trainee after 18 months away. Realistically any common sense would have had them do a TNA and put productive quickly

Efini92

Established Member

Why fortunately? The safety culture in aviation is streets ahead of the railway.
Unless I’m mistaken the post was saying they pay.

whoosh

Established Member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220208-205038_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220208-205038_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

iSquared

i was just clarifying, not every aviation licence expires.

Established Member
Reading the guide on the ORR website it looks to me like it would become suspended 12 months after you resign, and will then be held by the ORR for up to 12 months before being destroyed.

There is a difference between a suspended and withdrawal - and I can't see why what has been described would fall under withdrawal.

My advice would be to contact the ORR directly and ask them.

Status
Not open for further replies.