• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revising for assessments for trainee train driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naffy93

Hi I’m just curious to see what people have done for revising for assessments for trainee train driver that people have passed? I have seen a website that you can pay for a few CD’s which covers:

• Free 30 Days Access to Online Train Driver Testing Suite - thereafter £5.95 + vat per month
  • Prepare for all of the trainee train driver psychomotor tests;
  • Awareness and Recognition Test (AART);
  • Dots Concentration Test (DCT) Software;
  • Observational Assessment Tests (OAT) Software;
  • Coordination Tests for Train Drivers Software;
  • Vigilance Tests for Train Drivers Software.

Would this be any good? Or if there’s any free ones that are good.

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gorlash1886

In my personal opinion they are a waste of money, the group bourdon tool on here is excellent and the material you get sent from the company is more than enough.

Taylor

I bought some software and passed first time so I'd say it was worth it. At the end of the day people who passed without using it will tell you it's a waste of money and people who passed using it will tell you it's worth it. It's up to you if you want to spend the money but I preferred to take any advantage I could get. I also got a couple of books on interview prep which I thought really helped in my dmi and mmi.

oz220

use the practise material they send you. These will be similar to what the actual tests consist of. Do them a few times using a few different methods if you wish. See what one works best for you.
initially I struggled with one of the practise tests. So I made sure I took extra time to re-read it and understand it.

the most important thing for me was going into the assessment day being prepared for what was to come. To be honest I didn’t spend a long time preparing for these group tests.

however I prepared for many hours for the interview. Good luck.

Stigy

Established Member
Not wanting to sound like a broken record...but I’ll do it anyway :D

Just use the practice material they supply you with. These assessments aren’t really something you can revise for as such, you just need to have an awareness of them and what to expect.

Naffy93

Thanks oz220, much appreciated. Would there be some kind of Maths test involved like algebra ones? As i am useless at them and Maths wasn’t/isn’t my strongest subject. I have got a good level of awareness some I should be good in that field. Was the interview harder than the assessments? What sort of questions would they ask? Sorry to be a pain, would just like a much information as possible.

Thanks Stigy, so my understanding is that they provide all the information you need for the assessments to pass, you just need to revise with them.

oz220

No, there was no maths like that as such.
get through the assessments then research about the interview. This forum already has lots of topics relating to the MMI and DMI (interviews).
but I would concentrate on 1stage at a time.

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks Stigy, so my understanding is that they provide all the information you need for the assessments to pass, you just need to revise with them.
Indeed they will provide practice material, but my advice is to practice from it, rather than revise and eat, sleep and drink it. As long as you understand what is expected, that’s the main thing, as these aren’t really tests you can revise for as such.

Naffy93

Thanks Stigy, much appreciated, I will do the group bourdon tests and keep practicing on them. Practice makes perfect ate :) ,

AllThatJazz- PM being sent.

driver9000

Established Member
Don't touch anything that wants to charge you for stuff that is available free or will be sent to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.