• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rhymney Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwenllian2001

The new down platform at Tir Phil is now in use although it is not complete and work continues. The new platform at Caerphilly continues to make good progress. Perhaps we might see a reinstated service to newport using it some day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adamt958

Hopefully, a newport service would be great for the area.

Been searching up the Cwmbargoed branch and then went onto the valley. The new station at Bargoed, or at least the area around the station looks superb compared to the last time i was up there.

The only thing about a newport service is that the train would have to reverse at Cardiff Central, but with 99% of the trains on the line being DMU operated I don't see that as a problem. I do remember a few years back during the summer Arriva Trains Wales were using old BR class 37s and 50s up the line top and tailing with old virgin Mk3s and Arriva Mk2s

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I think that talk of a Caerphilly to Newport service entailed re-opening of the former direct route via Machen.

adamt958

That's a good thing then, would there be any new staions on the line at Places like Bedwas, Machen and Bassaleg?

Also, just past Machen. It looks as if some developments have taken place on the track bed on google maps. It would mean shortening a car park or someones garden/driveway and the building of a new level crossing and what looks like a shed or a small similar structure blocking the old line.

And where would it join the Rhymney Valley line, looking at it on maps again looks as it would have to I'm just before/after the new station that will be built at Energlyn?

anthony263

Established Member
The line would joing just south of Caerphilly station. There would be some new construction but Sewta have identified a route. New stations would be built at Caerphilly East, Bedwas and Machen.

adamt958

I don't really see what the bad side of this is then, I think it's a great idea. Would give people another option in places like Cerphilly, Rhymney and Bargoed. Because from experience a lot of people won't go places because of the hassle of changing trains

anthony263

Established Member
I believe services would terminate at Caerphilly rather than continuing up the valley to Ystrad Mynach etc.

If there is demand perhaps trains could run up to Nelson and Treharris via Ystrad Mynach rather than the additional services from Cardiff.

Quakers Yard

Think you mean Trelewis. Treharris itself is inaccessible by rail now yet to have the Cwmbargoed line reppen to passengers would mean a station at either side of the town and an alternative to Quakers Yard.

Has anyone got a map/sketch of this route?

How past the quarry in Macher does the line/what's left of it continue? I've had a look on Google Maps but can't see how the line would get from there to Caerphilly.

Has anyone such as SWETA done a feasibility study into a Newport - Caerphilly line?

anthony263

Established Member
This is so far the best I have been able to find to answer your question.

There is a bit on the Caerphilly - Newport line towards the end of the document.

Attachments

• Sewta_Rail_Strategy_Final_Report_March_2013.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
Status
Not open for further replies.