• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Riccarton Junction amd Alston areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Hi,

I'm just looking for advice and tips for a half-term jaunt to the area around Riccarton Junction and Kielder Forest (probably Alston too on way back depending on daylight).

1) Experience of walking there (time, path condition, sites of interest on the way)
2) Other nearby railway sites of interest. I'll be in my car so going up the A7 and down along Kielder reservoir so any interesting Waverley or Kielder branch bits and pieces please.
3) Cafes/restaurants/public toilet recommendations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kingspanner

My wife and I walked to Riccarton Junction from the Whitrope end having parked in the car park at the "heritage railway". Nice easy four mile round trip on good walking with artefacts to watch out for. In the deep cuttings out of the sun it can be very cold at this time of year. Don't forget the altitude! We'd driven up from the Hawick direction, and eventually drove all the way back there before finding somewhere (Sainsbury's) to get something to eat and a toilet. Riccarton Junction itself though is truly worth the visit. It is the back of beyond, and yet the remains of a community are all around you.

bramling

Veteran Member
Hi,

I'm just looking for advice and tips for a half-term jaunt to the area around Riccarton Junction and Kielder Forest (probably Alston too on way back depending on daylight).

1) Experience of walking there (time, path condition, sites of interest on the way)
2) Other nearby railway sites of interest. I'll be in my car so going up the A7 and down along Kielder reservoir so any interesting Waverley or Kielder branch bits and pieces please.
3) Cafes/restaurants/public toilet recommendations.

I walked from Kielder Village down to the site of Lewiefield Halt. Reasonably scenic and peaceful (we did it twice, both in the evening), though the site of Lewiefield Halt was so overgrown that it wasn't really possible to make out much, even though the platform is allegedly still there, it was also quite awkward to pin down the exact spot - it might be easier in winter time. We also visited the sites of Deadwater and Saughtree stations, both of which are pretty intact. From what I understand it's possible to walk the entirety of Kielder Village to Saughtree, though I have no idea how easy the path is.

Another section I covered was the section of the Wansbeck Valley line running east from Redesmouth Junction towards Morpeth, to visit the site of the two obscure workers halts on this section. Nothing much left of either, though the sites were able to be identified reasonably readily. A pleasant walk on a summer evening, though muddy in parts. Off public rights of way in parts, though we didn't encounter anyone. Parking in Redesmouth is difficult, there's space for a couple of cars on the river bridge and that's about it.

The cafe at Bellingham station is worth a visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.