Richmond to North Sheen - Mileage?

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by 03_179, 15 May 2018.

1. 03_179

03_179 Member

I am at work at the moment and have no access to Miles and chains apart from the Rail Mileage engine which shows this:
    Distance:
    8mi 59ch

Route:
    Richmond, Kew Gardens, Gunnersbury, South Acton Jn, Kew East Jn, New Kew Jn, Chiswick, Barnes Bridge, Barnes, Mortlake, North Sheen

Thanks in advance

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. louis97

louis97 Established Member

54 chains.

The Rail Miles Mileage Engine gets confused between the two different timing locations (TIPLOCs) for Richmond. If you enter RICHMND (the TIPLOC used for Richmond Waterloo line services) to North Sheen you will get the direct route.

4. 03_179

03_179 Member

Thanks.

Asking it for Richmond to Clapham junction was weird too

We need a list on here of all the TIPLOCs

5. 03_179

03_179 Member

I did St Pancras to Ebbsfleet:
    Distance:
    23mi 52ch

Route:
    St Pancras International, St Pancras Canal Tunnel Jn, Belle Isle, Copenhagen Junction, York Way North Jn, Silo Junction, , York Way South Junction, Stratford Intl W Jn, Stratford International, Stratford Intl E Jn, Dagenham Junction, Wennington Crossovers, Ebbsfleet W Jn, Ebbsfleet International

6. pdeaves

pdeaves Established Member

7. 03_179

03_179 Member

Doh!

I'd forgotten that one ... thanks

8. David Emmott

David Emmott Member

Is this the new post-Brexit railway that refuses to recognise kilometres?

9. 03_179

03_179 Member

We've always used Miles and chains on the railway ...

10. David Emmott

David Emmott Member

Despite the fact that anybody younger than retirement age will have been taught entirely in the metric system?

11. Wychwood93

Wychwood93 Member

See http://www.railsigns.uk/sect28page1/sect28page1.html

This includes:
    "The Railways Clauses Consolidation Act 1845 required that the railway companies in England and Wales provide markers at quarter mile intervals along the trackside. Section 94 of the Act read:

"The company shall cause the length of the railway to be measured, and milestones, posts, or other conspicuous objects to be set up and maintained along the whole line thereof, at the distance of one quarter of a mile from each other, with numbers or marks inscribed thereon denoting such distances."
    Section 87 of the Railways Clauses Consolidation (Scotland) Act 1845 placed a similar obligation on the railway companies in Scotland."

12. gazr

gazr Member

13. lewisf

lewisf Member

St Pancras to Ebbsfleet is on an entirely metric railway however

14. Wychwood93

Wychwood93 Member

St P/Ebbsfleet is HS1 - metric from the start. Resignalling schemes are metric, and very accurate, to the metre - and perhaps below that level of accuracy, for even more accuracy. Access to SNCF LGV data can see even more accuracy. Anyway, to refresh the "Railways Clauses Consolidation Act 1845" to combine the past and update matters will take a Bill agreed by our representatives in Westminster. Breath should not be held.

15. PeterY

PeterY Member

I love working out my mileage using Rail Miles.

I know it uses the shortest route between locations.

I'm always aware if I make a deviation, for example Milton Keynes to Rugby. Direct it's 32 miles 55 chains but going via Northampton it's 35 miles 3 chains.

16. Dr_Paul

Dr_Paul Member

Two reverses and a length of non-electrified line! But since the connection between the District/NLL line and the South-Western line was removed, I guess that's the shortest way from the terminal lines at Richmond to North Sheen. Going from Kew East through Hounslow and Twickenham would require just one reverse, at South Acton, but still would have a stretch on a non-electrified line. Going up to Acton Wells and round through North Pole and down to Clapham Junction would be longer still, but would not require any reverse and would not go along any non-electrified line, although any EMU stock would need to be dual-fitted AC and DC. Not that I foresee anything actually taking any of these routes...

17. Bookd

Bookd Member

There will be some curious mileages for historic reasons. If you are sitting on a train at the buffer stops at Waterloo you will already be about 5 chains into your journey (according to Quail) - this is because mileages are measured from the junction with the South Eastern line which was demolished about a century ago.