• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Riding a TfW Mk 4 Set

sansyy

Hello. I am interested in going from Chester to Manchester Piccadilly and then boarding a Mk4 set to Shrewsbury and then getting off at Shrewsbury and going back to Chester but what is the best way to do this? Split ticketing or is there a specific route valid that can get me a good deal and still be withing the routing guide rules. Any help would be great because right now its looking like 3 singles Chester-Manchester Piccadilly, Manchester Piccadilly-Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury-Chester. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Chester-Piccy return (via Crewe, which IIRC is valid anyway) then singles, or Crewe-Shrewsbury return and come back via Crewe, which might be cheaper.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Alternatively a Shrewsbury to Manchester return, which is valid both direct (via Nantwich and Crewe) as well as via Wrexham and Chester. The cheaper 'not via Wolverhampton' fare would be fine for this.

Splitting or Advances may of course be cheaper depending on which exact trains you wish to take, and how far ahead you book.

Veteran Member
Alternatively a Shrewsbury to Manchester return, which is valid both direct (via Nantwich and Crewe) as well as via Wrexham and Chester. The cheaper 'not via Wolverhampton' fare would be fine for this.
You would need a single back from Shrewsbury to Chester in addition.

sansyy

30.10 for Shrewsbury to Piccadilly and then 15.10 for Chester to Victoria northern only. In total for 45.20. Does this sound right? Any suggestions in a fare deduction would be great!

Spaceship323

30.10 for Shrewsbury to Piccadilly and then 15.10 for Chester to Victoria northern only. In total for 45.20. Does this sound right? Any suggestions in a fare deduction would be great!
If you book a couple of days in advance you can get 3 singles for around £40 (Chester - Manchester - Shrewsbury - Chester) but you will be limited by having to get a specific train for each ticket so will have to plan the journey properly. Also I notice that First Class Manchester - Shrewsbury is only £3 dearer than standard, on the 1230 departure which should be a 67 + MK4

EDIT..Just looked on RTT and the 1230 was subbed for a 197

Last edited:

sansyy

If you book a couple of days in advance you can get 3 singles for around £40 (Chester - Manchester - Shrewsbury - Chester) but you will be limited by having to get a specific train for each ticket so will have to plan the journey properly. Also I notice that First Class Manchester - Shrewsbury is only £3 dearer than standard, on the 1230 departure which should be a 67 + MK4

What would I do if they're not a Mk4 set? I know TfW sometimes don't run Mk4s on the diagrams.

Spaceship323

Best get the flexible ticket then for £45 and check RTT to see if the Cardiff - Manchester is running as a mk4 set before setting out (and hope it isn't cancelled en - route)

andythebrave

I don't see how this covers the last leg from Shrewsbury to Chester as you would be using part of the outward ticket after the return which is not permitted; indeed it seems to mean two valid tickets would be held for Chester to Manchester.
The forum's site suggests a multi split journey for £54.90 going routeing on TFW via Warrington to Manchester then direct to Shrewsbury and on to Chester. Splits at Newton-le-Willows, Manchester, Wilmslow and Ruabon.
You need to specify via Warrington, deselect 'use the same options for return' and add via points of Crewe and Shrewsbury on the return journey only.

Haywain

Veteran Member
That's meant to say Piccadilly to Shrewsbury, isn't it?

Kite159

Veteran Member
How about a Cheshire day ranger and a day return from Whitchurch to Shrewsbury (which will be valid on a nonstop train)?

Although will mean you will have to come back from Shrewsbury towards Crewe then towards Chester but gives you a bit more flexibility.

sansyy

How about a Cheshire day ranger and a day return from Whitchurch to Shrewsbury (which will be valid on a nonstop train)?

Although will mean you will have to come back from Shrewsbury towards Crewe then towards Chester but gives you a bit more flexibility.
This would save me a lot more money and I would also have the ability to explore a bit more after my ride too! Thanks