• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rishi Sunak and the Conservative Party.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Going around the TV circuit a while back trying to reinvent himself as some sort of cool-guy, I guess he is thinking that a celebrity career might be better than a political one?
Yes this seems to be his strategy. He’s got no long term political career and he’s trying to do a Portillo - springboard into being a cuddly ex politician with a few Whitehall tales etc.

Portillo has vastly more charisma than Hancock though, so we will see how successful he is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yes this seems to be his strategy. He’s got no long term political career and he’s trying to do a Portillo - springboard into being a cuddly ex politician with a few Whitehall tales etc.

Portillo has vastly more charisma than Hancock though, so we will see how successful he is.

I think Portillo has done well because he has reinvented himself and doesn't talk about politics*. Sure, he may divide opinions when he travels around talking about trains and scenic locations, but it's not the culture war that so many people like (and profit from).

* Okay, so at an event at Hadley Wood some years back, he did make a lot of jokes about Boris (long before Boris was PM) and with hindsight, they weren't jokes because everything he said was patently true and confirmed in time. However, that's not why he was there.

Captain Chaos

I've met Portillo once when working a train on the North Downs. He seemed really genuine and doesn't come across as the sort of person who is feigning interest in the subject. Found him to be a really nice bloke to be fair.

Scotrail12

Not only Portillo but Ed Balls has also reinvented himself post politics and similar to Hancock, did so via reality TV.

I feel like Hancock just doesn't have a personality that can connect with the public though so I reckon he'll be more of an Edwina Currie style profile going forward (who coincidentally also worked in the health part of cabinet).

Thirteen

I think Portillo has done well because he has reinvented himself and doesn't talk about politics*. Sure, he may divide opinions when he travels around talking about trains and scenic locations, but it's not the culture war that so many people like (and profit from).

* Okay, so at an event at Hadley Wood some years back, he did make a lot of jokes about Boris (long before Boris was PM) and with hindsight, they weren't jokes because everything he said was patently true and confirmed in time. However, that's not why he was there.
Portillo presents a show on GB News so he's not actively avoiding politics but what I like about him is that he doesn't take himself too seriously.

Typhoon

Established Member
You can bet the likes of the BBC and ITV are waiting for Boris to leave politics so he can be snapped up for one of these shows.
BBC - no chance. He'd see what Lineker is getting and double it - and it may need to be disclosed to the license paying public. Even if he found a way round it, the Department for whatever it is (Digital, Culture, Media, Sport and a few other things in some order) would ensure that it had to be revealed one way or other. In any case, unlike Portillo, who approached the programmes professionally, Johnson won't learn a script and will make any programme about him. He'd have high ratings to begin with, but they will sink once viewers get fed up with his clowning.

Thirteen

BBC - no chance. He'd see what Lineker is getting and double it - and it may need to be disclosed to the license paying public. Even if he found a way round it, the Department for whatever it is (Digital, Culture, Media, Sport and a few other things in some order) would ensure that it had to be revealed one way or other. In any case, unlike Portillo, who approached the programmes professionally, Johnson won't learn a script and will make any programme about him. He'd have high ratings to begin with, but they will sink once viewers get fed up with his clowning.
Boris did Who Do You Think You Are? and presented Have I Got News For You many times so he knows how TV works and they don't have to reveal salaries for those shows because they're made by independent production companies.

Typhoon

Established Member
Boris did Who Do You Think You Are? and presented Have I Got News For You many times so he knows how TV works and they don't have to reveal salaries for those shows because they're made by independent production companies.
True. His status has changed though, his last appearance on Have I Got News For You was in 2006. Then he wanted publicity, now he wants cash. Who Do You Think You Are - 2008, and again he wants the cash!

I'm sure that somehow his fees will be revealed/ leaked, it would make the front page. More chance of US TV talk shows once his book comes out,

jon0844

Veteran Member

Boris was amusing on HIGNFY, but later on I think he was only there so people could laugh at him - and it was rather embarrassing. Having attended many recordings of the show over the years, I can only imagine how much had to be re-shot. Some presenters (or guests) can be painfully bad and, while it can be funny to show them as idiots, you usually have to try and get something redeeming out of them.

dgl

Established Member
Boris was amusing on HIGNFY, but later on I think he was only there so people could laugh at him - and it was rather embarrassing. Having attended many recordings of the show over the years, I can only imagine how much had to be re-shot. Some presenters (or guests) can be painfully bad and, while it can be funny to show them as idiots, you usually have to try and get something redeeming out of them.
There used to be, or still is, an unedited copy of one or two of the episodes he was on/hosted on YouTube, and I wish they'd shown that as it was hilarious watching Boris be a bafoon.

birchesgreen

Established Member
While attending COP27 is welcome, clearly Sunak shares Truss' propensity for U-turns.
Yes i should add i am glad he is going but its his u-turning and lack of ability to make the right decision in the first place i was criticising.

PMQs shows that Corbyn continues to live rent free in Sunak's head, i don't think this attack line against Starmer is going to work to be honest.

nw1

Established Member
Yes i should add i am glad he is going but its his u-turning and lack of ability to make the right decision in the first place i was criticising.
Indeed, I understood that.

He comes across as weak as Truss, but without the really silly economic ideas.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It was probably pointed out to Rishi that he doesn't have a great deal of experience with foreign leaders, so going for that reason alone is probably a good idea.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It was probably pointed out to Rishi that he doesn't have a great deal of experience with foreign leaders, so going for that reason alone is probably a good idea.
I suspect he's only going because Johnson said he was.

Lost property

Sunak is going to COP27 after all, another reed bending in the wind
Nope, yet another "U" turn when confronted with the reality of failed policies and / or decisions...actually, with this Gov'ts record on "U" turns, they should have their own entry in the Guiness Book of Records by now.

jfollows

Established Member
While attending COP27 is welcome, clearly Sunak shares Truss' propensity for U-turns.
As well as ditching many of the policies he campaigned on against Truss:
  • Delivering thousands of new beds for asylum seekers
  • Target of 80% of claims by asylum seekers to be resolved within six months (current figure is maybe 4%)
  • Using cruise ships to house asylum seekers (potentially "arbitrary detainment" breaching the 1951 refugee convention)
  • Protect the green belt from planning laws
  • Charge patients for missed GP appointments
  • Cutting the basic rate of income tax to 16p by the end of the next parliament
  • Reviewing and repealing all retained EU laws within 100 days
It seems likely that all of these "pledges" will be jettisoned because of "difficult circumstances". So the only point of making them was to get elected by the membership in the first place (which didn't happen). So is it unsurprising when people say they don't trust politicians? I don't disagree that many of the "pledges" are unwise or unachievable, but he "promised" them didn't he?

More at https://www.theguardian.com/politic...to-ditch-key-tory-leadership-campaign-pledges

Rishi Sunak to ditch key Tory leadership campaign pledges
PM likely to abandon promises on immigration, greenbelt protection and charging patients for missing GP appointments

Pippa Crerar and Jessica Elgot
Wed 2 Nov 2022 15.58 GMT
Last modified on Wed 2 Nov 2022 16.20 GMT

Rishi Sunak is set to ditch his flagship Conservative leadership campaign pledges, as No 10 admitted there would be a review to assess whether they were still “deliverable” as a result of the worsening economic backdrop.

It means Sunak is likely to abandon key promises on immigration in a week when both the prime minister and the home secretary have come under criticism for dangerous overcrowding at an immigration centre.

The prime minister’s press secretary said ministers “need to look again” at a slew of promises made over the summer during Sunak’s losing battle with Liz Truss for the Tory leadership, but there was no end date to the review.
Among some of the policies that have become politically embarrassing for Sunak are a “10-point plan on migration” that includes issues that have become flashpoints over the past week engulfing his home secretary, Suella Braverman.
The points from the leadership campaign include:
Ending the use of hotels to house asylum seekers by delivering thousands of new beds.
Setting a target that 80% of claims are resolved within six months of being lodged.
Using cruise ships to house asylum seekers while their claims are processed.

Sunak would face an enormous challenge to meet the 80% target, with the most recent figures suggesting only 4% of people who crossed the Channel in small boats in 2021 have had a decision within six months.
Whitehall officials had previously warned that holding people on cruise ships would breach the 1951 refugee convention preventing “arbitrary detainment”. Sunak had first suggested the idea in 2020, when it was dismissed on cost grounds.
No 10’s admission comes after a series of policy U-turns by Sunak, including an announcement he would be going to the Cop27 climate summit in Egypt next week days after Downing Street said he was not planning to attend.
Other pledges include promises to protect the greenbelt from planning laws, charging patients for GP appointments if they miss one, cutting the basic rate of income tax from 20p to 16p by the end of the next parliament and reviewing and repealing all retained EU law within 100 days.
“We are looking at all the campaign pledges and we are looking at whether it is the right time to take them forward,” Sunak’s spokesperson said. “We need to take some time to make sure what is deliverable and what is possible, and engaging with stakeholders and with the relevant secretaries of state as well.
“Obviously, those are pledges that were made a few months ago now and the context is somewhat different, obviously, economically. We’re not making commitments right now either way. We need to look again.”
She added that Sunak still backed the “sentiment” of the campaign pledges, as well as hinting that promises he made as chancellor could also be up for review given the different economic context.
The prime minister remained committed to the 2019 Conservative manifesto overall, she said, but did not expand on specifics. Earlier, in the Commons, Sunak had refused to say whether he would stick to the manifesto pledge on the pensions triple lock.
His spokesperson said: “Those things which have fiscal implications those are things the chancellor is considering with the prime minister. Obviously the economic context has changed significantly, not just in the last few months but also with the pandemic and the global macro-economic situation and also Putin’s invasion.”
Sunak has already dropped his plans to fine patients £10 for missing GP appointments and scrap or reform all EU legislation by the next election, both campaign pledges. He has also backed down on fracking after saying in the summer he would back the controversial practice “with local consent” but subsequently reinstating the ban.
In yet another U-turn, Sunak is to attend Cop27 next week after No 10 said previously he was too focused on the domestic economy to attend and banned King Charles from going, days after Boris Johnson announced he was attending.
A Labour spokesperson said: “I think what we’re seeing is a government that is bedevilled by its core problem – and that is that decisions are being made for reasons of party management, not in the national interest.
“Look at why we’ve got Suella Braverman as home secretary in the first place. She’s purely there because of a deal that was done during the course of the Tory leadership election.
“Whether it’s on the decision to go to Cop27, whether it’s on decisions of policy, whether it’s on decisions of personnel, you’ll see a government that is simply trying to get by on the basis of party political management rather than the national interest, and that’s not the way the country should be run.”​

Typhoon

Established Member
I suspect he's only going because Johnson said he was.
Ironic that Johnson has the time to attend Cop-27 (now that he's an irrelevance) but couldn't quite find the time to participate in the Party Leaders debate on the environment less than three years ago. Doubtless his audience will be regaled with the successes he had in that field while he was PM

EDIT: I now eagerly await the plans our new Secretary of State has in that direction. Should be interesting!

nw1

Established Member
I also wonder whether the whole Hancock thing is being emphasised to distract from Braverman, and Sunak's incredibly stupid decision to re-appoint her.

If an ex-minister wants to spend his time in the jungle eating insects, I really don't care. But if the home secretary is spouting the same sort of reactionary hard-right nonsense that the (to me) similar Le Pen and Meloni come up with, that is much more worrying.

As well as ditching many of the policies he campaigned on against Truss:
  • Delivering thousands of new beds for asylum seekers
  • Target of 80% of claims by asylum seekers to be resolved within six months (current figure is maybe 4%)
  • Using cruise ships to house asylum seekers (potentially "arbitrary detainment" breaching the 1951 refugee convention)
  • Protect the green belt from planning laws
  • Charge patients for missed GP appointments
  • Cutting the basic rate of income tax to 16p by the end of the next parliament
  • Reviewing and repealing all retained EU laws within 100 days
Mind you this is a pretty mixed lot - some good, some bad. In particular the bolded ones sound very dubious to me and I'm glad they are not being enacted.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
Mind you this is a pretty mixed lot. In particular the bolded ones sound very dubious to me and I'm glad they are not being enacted.
Of course I agree with you, but that's my point - anyone with just a bit of thought will understand that they're unworkable. Presumably Rishi Sunak thinks that the Conservative party members don't think and believed him when he spouted all this rubbish? Or did he recognise that they would also recognise it as clap-trap and still vote for him? Or is there a parallel universe here in which politicians make silly promises but then go on to act on them .... well, of course there was Liz Truss, wasn't there?
I mean, Rishi Sunak is not just a lightweight but - akin to Johnson and Truss - is prepared to say anything if it helps get him into power. But we kind of knew that, didn't we?

EDIT Oh yes, I do kind of understand where the "charge patients for missing GP appointments" comes from, it's clearly unacceptable and not the right solution to a problem. I used to run occasional training events for new technology open to a large academic community, for free, and they were good, but I'd get annoyed because they'd be fully booked and people would fail to show up. We threatened to charge no-shows which resulted in people actually telling you on the day if they weren't going to make it, which was better than we had before, but in reality we had no plan to actually charge anyone for not turning up, it didn't make sense, but at least we managed to elicit a bit of basic politeness from people who didn't attend.

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I also wonder whether the whole Hancock thing is being emphasised to distract from Braverman, and Sunak's incredibly stupid decision to re-appoint her.

You're descending into conspiracy theories again :lol:

Look at it rationally. Hancock has made a decision that has almost universally been condemned both by his parliamentary colleagues, and by his local Conservative association, whose support he'd probably be relying on if he wants to remain an MP after the next election - fat chance of that now! And he's been suspended from the Tory Parliamentary party to boot, and caused a lot of adverse publicity to Sunak's Government. Do you seriously imagine that the Government would plan that and he'd willingly go along with it purely as part of some plot to distract from a story about Braverman? That's just unbelievably far fetched.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Yes i don't believe Sunak will be happy with it, it will just add to the growing belief many have that the Tories are finished as a serious governing party.

brad465

Established Member

Look at it rationally. Hancock has made a decision that has almost universally been condemned both by his parliamentary colleagues, and by his local Conservative association, whose support he'd probably be relying on if he wants to remain an MP after the next election - fat chance of that now! And he's been suspended from the Tory Parliamentary party to boot, and caused a lot of adverse publicity to Sunak's Government. Do you seriously imagine that the Government would plan that and he'd willingly go along with it purely as part of some plot to distract from a story about Braverman? That's just unbelievably far fetched.
There have been stories in the past that have been used to deliberately distract from more damaging ones (i.e. dead cat theory), but on this occasion I think it's just a side effect. The reason being is most media loves celebrity gossip and personalities, and I'm a Celebrity is one of many shows that are well watched/read about and followed, regardless of who is on it.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member

Has he 'caused a lot of adverse publicity to Sunak's Government'? Seems to me that Braverman has caused much more, and Hancock was Johnson's man after all....and hilariously snubbed by Sunak when he became PM. As brad465 suggests, it is surely possible that they would be quite likely to happily throw Hancock to the wolves in such circumstances.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Has he 'caused a lot of adverse publicity to Sunak's Government'? Seems to me that Braverman has caused much more, and Hancock was Johnson's man after all....and hilariously snubbed by Sunak when he became PM. As brad465 suggests, it is surely possible that they would be quite likely to happily throw Hancock to the wolves in such circumstances.
Lembit Opik.....George Galloway......Nadine Dorries. Perhaps Ann Widdecombe as well. What do all that lot have in common? They are all relentless self-promoters with at best tedious, at worst dangerously deranged, opinions and views: that is the circus that Matt Hancock has entirely voluntarily chosen to join. A worthy addition! Monty Python lives!!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I bet the King is pretty angry at being “advised” not to attend now.

Yes i don't believe Sunak will be happy with it, it will just add to the growing belief many have that the Tories are finished as a serious governing party.
Indeed. The Tories have had this whiff about them for some time. Hancock clearly has no interest in being re-elected so he’s off on a (well paid) jolly to springboard his next career. Shameless really.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Using cruise ships to house asylum seekers (potentially "arbitrary detainment" breaching the 1951 refugee convention)

Mind you this is a pretty mixed lot - some good, some bad. In particular the bolded ones sound very dubious to me and I'm glad they are not being enacted.

Using cruise ships to house people asylum seekers (Ukrainian refugees) is indeed already being enacted; Not by the evil Tories but by Nicola Sturgeon in Scotland!

takno

Established Member
Using cruise ships to house people asylum seekers (Ukrainian refugees) is indeed already being enacted; Not by the evil Tories but by Nicola Sturgeon in Scotland!
I think the point there is that the Ukranians aren't being detained on cruise ships - the accommodation is provided while they find something else, and they can come and go as they like. It's all a bit less prison-boaty.