• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Risk of shock/electrocution for OLE technicians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M84

Is anyone able answer this?

Assuming someone follows the rules etc. I'm just trying to gauge the risk of injury though not sure why as I'll still be doing the job.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CN12

Always give it respect, never assume anything and follow the rules and you will be fine!
Listen to the guys who have worked with it for a while, they will tell you any little foibles.

thecrofter

Interesting question from someone apparently doing the job. Do you have underlying concerns with the way things are being done? The safe systems of work developed for "Working on or about 25 kV electrifed lines" are there to protect staff from such risks but of course accidents can and do happen - usually through a failure to adhere to the processes or by complacency. As CN12 says, always treat the OLE with the respect it deserves and if you're not sure of anything then don't do the task. There is a "work safe procedure" if you do not feel safe doing anything.

M84

No, it's an upcoming apprenticeship and whilst I've done research about the role, it wasn't my first choice however I think it's going to be the best choice in the long run.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I'm an electrical engineer and still breathing after 40+ years working on electrical systems, I also started out as a 16 year old apprentice.

Follow the rules and you'll be safe. Good luck with your career.

Elecman

Established Member
If you're in any doubt ask to see the Isolation Permit to Work for yourself and have the limits fully explained to you

M84

Thanks for the replies. I've seen the standardised task videos on YouTube and safety seems paramount but it got a bit more serious when it came to long blue earths and potentially live conductors.

Class 170101

Established Member
Always give it respect, never assume anything and follow the rules and you will be fine!
Listen to the guys who have worked with it for a while, they will tell you any little foibles.

But bear in mind they make mistakes and possibly do things they know they shouldn't.

Whilst not OLE related the Margam incident shows even old hands make errors and sometimes are prepared to do things in a way they should know better not to.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
As I posted o the other thread, I genuinely cannot remember the last time any maintenance staff were injured in an electrical incident involving live OLE.

You’ll be much, much, more likely to have an accident in the van going to or from site.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
As I posted o the other thread, I genuinely cannot remember the last time any maintenance staff were injured in an electrical incident involving live OLE.

You’ll be much, much, more likely to have an accident in the van going to or from site.
+1, I agree.

Elecman

Established Member

+2 very much so

Supercoss

3 simple words
Test Before Touch
Regardless of years of service or company name on your p p e.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Having been standing next to a very experienced THIRD RAIL maintenance guy when they were electrocuted after an appalling chain of lax processes and complacency (and fully endorsing comments above) NEVER ‘assume’ anything. NEVER trust that ‘someone’ must have done all the right things. ALWAYS ‘test before touch (or even getting close, with OLE of course). Know which of your mates has done what, don’t be afraid to look at the earths, ask to see the permit, etc. if you aren’t happy.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If you're in any doubt ask to see the Isolation Permit to Work for yourself and have the limits fully explained to you

3 simple words
Test Before Touch
Regardless of years of service or company name on your p p e.

This is good advice. ALWAYS follow the rules, follow your training, test before touch and if you are not sure or happy ask or speak up. In my limited track experience I have never once felt unsafe under OHLE. Third rail is a different issue!

Malcmal

There will always be an element of luck in jobs like this. I like to quote the Swiss Cheese Model to highlight the risks in any such situation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_cheese_model

I worked on the railway and from time to time had to work close up to the OHL. We had a test pole which you were instructed to use on a live line first, the supposedly dead line next and then a live line again to verify the test kit still worked. There was a lockout box for the isolation switch but I remember when I started on the railway as an apprentice I went to the stores with my colleague to get new padlocks and it turned out we could open each other's locks with our own keys!!

M84

Thanks for the replies, it's with NW so hopefully all by the book.

So a permit has to be gained for any access to OLE?

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I need a permit to work on any site I visit and normally I don't encounter anything above 24,000mv!

thecrofter

Thanks for the replies, it's with NW so hopefully all by the book.

So a permit has to be gained for any access to OLE?

Generally yes but there are certain things that can be done safely whilst live e.g. cutting off broken/damaged droppers with a live line tool - even some MOMs are trained to do this. Don't go getting too hung up about the perceived risk of working on 25 kV - its entirely safe when it's done properly. There's a lot to learn but take your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.