• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT Extends Strike Action on Network Rail to Dec 24-27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffcsteve14

With the new RMT dates, what’s the thinking with what Aslef May do? Expecting dates to be announced soon by them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
But it does cost some members a bucket load of cash. Anyone intending to work Christmas Day + Boxing Day, and there are lots of them who were, will be losing a lot. Signallers in ROCs / Panel boxes will be losing over £2k for two days work.

Perhaps this goes some way towards explaining the removal of the OT ban!

KM1991

I presume it's the 6 monthly reballot as GTR was re-done during the summer due to the first result being a no?
GTR had their reballot at the same time as everyone else. All TOCs balloted returned a yes vote for strike action.

DanNCL

Established Member
GTR had their reballot at the same time as everyone else. All TOCs balloted returned a yes vote for strike action.
Where is this announced? I've seen nothing saying that GTR members have voted for strike action.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Perhaps this goes some way towards explaining the removal of the OT ban!

There were certainly a lot of members not at all happy with the union for calling the OT ban. Presumably this got fed back. But I would also expect quite a few to quietly ignore the strike call - a reasonable percentage have been doing that anyway, but when it’s £2k or so on the line for two (very quiet) days at work, then temptation is strong…

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
There were certainly a lot of members not at all happy with the union for calling the OT ban. Presumably this got fed back. But I would also expect quite a few to quietly ignore the strike call - a reasonable percentage have been doing that anyway, but when it’s £2k or so on the line for two (very quiet) days at work, then temptation is strong…
As i say RMT have played a naff card here i never had an issue getting people in over Xmas due the bonus money.

The media are blowing it up saying they are ruining Xmas despite most people will have travelled but the headlines is what registers with people.

Established Member
The media are blowing it up saying they are ruining Xmas despite most people will have travelled but the headlines is what registers with people.

Standard daily mail comment here (I couldn’t resist but have a look):

He's killed the golden goose. A these guys are vastly overpaid as it. And we're clearly not getting value for money. If anything we pay for them to abuse us Atomate or sack all, and start again. Christ when you think about what they do . It sits on a rail and steers itself. one green button, one big red button.

:lol::lol::lol: What an eloquent chap! :lol:

It strikes me even the knuckle draggers on DM’s BTL are less anti union than they usually are. Luckily Ginge and Whinge have released another trailer so perhaps they’re distracted!

The Middle

Response from Network Rail Chief Negotiator Tim Shoveller taken from

"This response from the RMT to a significantly enhanced offer exposes their true priority - using the British public and Network Rail workers as pawns in a fight with the government...They are playing fast and loose with people's Christmas Plans and the new strike dates announced deliberately target vital engineering work designed to improve the railway"

Last edited by a moderator:

paul332

As a member of the general public who enjoys travelling by train I must say I now haven't a clue who is striking and when, "working to rule" or generally destroying what at normal times is quite a functional transport system. I love the language of "being compelled to take this action", as opposed to "we have chosen of our own free will to take this action because we believe we are strong, important and worthy of being paid far more than most other people with jobs guaranteed for life and no compromise on outdated and totally unaffordable working practices."

Well, good luck with that. The general public are behind you all the way. A long way behind.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well, good luck with that. The general public are behind you all the way. A long way behind.
I don't think this bothers the unions; they have no reason to want or need the public's support.

The rest of your post certainly proves this!
I wouldn't be too sure about that; I don't think the strikes are well supported among the general public. Far-left types, who generally support almost any strike action, yes of course; but regular members of the public, I am not so sure it is going down particularly well at all.

Starmill

Veteran Member
This won't help.

Why inflame the situation when there is an opportunity to gauge the workers feeling
It reads as genuine frustration to me.

As there's an unequivocal recommendation to reject, it seems very unlikely that the result will inform anyone of anything.

diffident

As a member of the general public who enjoys travelling by train I must say I now haven't a clue who is striking and when, "working to rule" or generally destroying what at normal times is quite a functional transport system. I love the language of "being compelled to take this action", as opposed to "we have chosen of our own free will to take this action because we believe we are strong, important and worthy of being paid far more than most other people with jobs guaranteed for life and no compromise on outdated and totally unaffordable working practices."

This is precisely the problem. Issues between the Unions and the Govt are of course arguably valid on both sides - depending which side you fall down on. However the normal travelling public are seeing the service disrupted again, and are quite sick and tired of it. There's also the view that where is all this money coming from for pay rises? Whilst they are granted due, it's the public that will pay for it in the long term through fare increases and/or service cuts, whilst having to suffer the disruption right now. I can't see that playing well over the Christmas period.

Starmill

Veteran Member
For sure but best kept out of the public domain in these sensitive times
I know what you mean, but perhaps we're nearing the point where the relationship has entirely broken down now. If that's so a pause and silence is best, rather than attempting negotiations.

Established Member
I don't think this bothers the unions; they have no reason to want or need the public's support.

Seemingly neither does the government!

I wouldn't be too sure about that; I don't think the strikes are well supported among the general public. Far-left types, yes but ordinary people I am not so sure at all.

I’m not sure what you mean by “far left types”. I know a cross section, including quite a few recent Tory voters, who are fully supportive, and strikes are happening across a huge range of sectors.

Many ordinary working people in this country have simply reached the end of their tether, which has nothing to do with being “far left”.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
An awful lot has been kept out of the public domain. If I was writing the response, it would have to have been published after the watershed!
Of course but given the union have at least seen the sense to gauge the memberships views better to get them first I would have thought and that at least gives the best chance of moving the NR dispute forward.

I wouldn't be too sure about that; I don't think the strikes are well supported among the general public. Far-left types, who generally support almost any strike action, yes of course; but regular members of the public, I am not so sure it is going down particularly well at all.
I know it doesn't. They all gleefully tell you so when you dare to raise genuine concerns as a regular rail user

Status
Not open for further replies.