• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT Industrial Action - EMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I know it's not the 'right' answer but has consideration been given to withdrawing these trains after, say, 7pm on Fridays and Saturdays ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I know it's not the 'right' answer but has consideration been given to withdrawing these trains after, say, 7pm on Fridays and Saturdays ?
Yes, that's why security were introduced as there was a threat of traincrew "blacking" the line beyond 6pm around a decade ago.
Mansfield people aren’t like that, are they? (Note, not ‘we’!)
I once had my train impounded at Worksop for around an hour after two females got into a physical altercation which resulted in hair being ripped from the scalp in clumps and blood spraying up the floor, windows, seats and ceiling.

I've had my train stuck for an hour at Hucknall after three groups of people begin fighting and only one BTP officer available whilst the rest were blue lighted from Nottingham. Once faction A had been separated B and C then started fighting, then A and C, and so on until most were carted off in a police wagon.

On the whole though its a different story to the horror portrayed, you remember the 1% who make your life hell, you forget the 99% who are quiet and cause no issues.

Last edited:

STINT47

Probably the best solution to this is to get the troublemakers to leave the train and or deneuve them boarding.

If some passengers can't behave the railway shouldn't have to transport them.

D6130

Established Member
Probably the best solution to this is to get the troublemakers to leave the train and or deneuve them boarding.

If some passengers can't behave the railway shouldn't have to transport them.
That's fine in theory....but once they've staggered through the (probably open) barriers, down onto the platform and plonked themselves down in the train, you'll have a hell of job to move them. If you decide to tell them that the train ain't going to move until they either settle down or leave the train, the chances are that the fighting will start earlier and the rail staff will be the targets. I have vivid memories of similar - and sometimes worse - behaviour on the West Coastway line between Brighton and Lancing on Friday and Saturday evenings back in the 1980s. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. Best hide in the back cab until you have to open the doors.

ashworth

Established Member
On Saturday night as I pulled out I was treated to a woman in her 30s who had had far too much drink in Nottingham catching an elderly lady's suitcase in the crossfire as she spewed across the platform at Mansfield whilst her boyfriend heaved over the fence.

Hopping over puddles of sick in the train all over the heaters, walls and windows when you do your empty stock check is standard but it's almost a mercy because that usually means they're too drunk to be fighting.

I'm not sure why anyone would expect any different though - degenerate behaviour on a night out is a British past time all over the country, why should the railway escape it.

Rarely is it the kids either. In that part of the world it's usually people in their 30s, 40s and 50s. That or the feral children at the North end of the route threatening traincrew and other passengers. Not enough law enforcement spread far too thin.
I agree it’s not the young ones. It is people in their 30’s, 40’s and 50’s and often the women are far worse than the men. The problems on the Saturday early evening trains are people who have been drinking in Nottingham all afternoon and then are going back to places like Kirkby in Ashfield, Mansfield and Shirebrook to get even more drinks in before the pubs close.

Solutions like removing these trains from the timetable and staff remaining locked in the back cab does not help people who really do need to use these trains. Passengers who have had a nice day out somewhere like London or a family returning from a day at the coast need to be able to travel on these trains safely to complete their journeys home.

Killingworth

Established Member
Isn't it time this anti-social behaviour digression was diverted to its own thread? EMR aren't alone with this problem though it seems one route is particularly bad for them.

nanstallon

Isn't it time this anti-social behaviour digression was diverted to its own thread? EMR aren't alone with this problem though it seems one route is particularly bad for them.

Maybe, the British are just pigs. But I have to say that in my many years of travelling around this country, I found no place more hostile and threatening than this area. I felt much safer in Glasgow, which I feel has had a bad press over the years.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Maybe, the British are just pigs. But I have to say that in my many years of travelling around this country, I found no place more hostile and threatening than this area. I felt much safer in Glasgow, which I feel has had a bad press over the years.

This sort of ASB does seem curiously centred on small to medium-sized towns. You don't get it to that extent in London either - the late evening Tube is quite quiet and civilised compared to these provincial "vomit comets", and even the south WCML services (Saturday evenings after about 2200) that get that moniker aren't that bad, just a little noisy.

There does seem to be a correlation between people in dead-end jobs with no prospects in towns in a similar position and alcohol abuse, which shouldn't really surprise us and could do with being resolved at source.

Llandudno

Established Member
This sort of ASB does seem curiously centred on small to medium-sized towns. You don't get it to that extent in London either - the late evening Tube is quite quiet and civilised compared to these provincial "vomit comets", and even the south WCML services (Saturday evenings after about 2200) that get that moniker aren't that bad, just a little noisy.

There does seem to be a correlation between people in dead-end jobs with no prospects in towns in a similar position and alcohol abuse, which shouldn't really surprise us and could do with being resolved at source.
It’s possible that the poor frequency of trains and early Saturday end of service concentrates the idiots on to a small number of trains?

A similar situation happens at weekends on the north Wales Coast line, in Non Covid times westbound trains from Chester on Saturday nights are approx only every hour with the last one around 2235. Which accommodates all the afternoon/early evening drinkers from Chester, Liverpool and Manchester plus football fans and Chester race goers, can be an unpleasant cocktail all crammed into one, usually standing room only train from Chester!

Most of the small towns you refer to have little or no bus services after 6pm either so many are drawn to what few trains there are?

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Glad to see progress ahs been made on the reginal side. It appears the strike page on the website has been removed yet a strike timetable is still in place today. Last time I checked it was only until the 2nd??
There's some reductions taking place from Monday but that's due to Covid/Omicron, the Sunday timetable remains the same as the strike timetable but with Norwich services running as part of the same reduction. The services which should have been added back into the timetable are also staying removed, and a diagram is taken out on the London side.

londonmidland

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been posted and/or isn’t appropriate to this thread but EMR are making a few service reductions from Monday the 17th of January. See more here.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The discussion about alcohol / anti social behaviour on trains is off topic for this thread and should be taken elsewhere if people wish to discuss it further

Intercity/Connect Train Managers voted to reject company proposals on multiple working of class 360s.

As soon as any industrial action is announced we will reopen this thread (or possibly create a new one).

Status
Not open for further replies.