• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT reveals rail industrys plan to close over a 1000 ticket offices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
RMT has published a list of ticket office closures by TOC that they say will get closed down by TOCs.

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-reveals-rail-industrys-plan-for-a-cull-of-ticket-offices/

They say

RMT understands that government has amended its guidance relating to changes to ticket office opening hours clearing the way for train operating companies to seek to cut or close the majority, if not all, ticket offices at rail stations across the country.

RMT believes that such far-reaching ticket offices cuts reflect the train companies’ goal of slashing thousands of station staff jobs. This will make the railway less safe, secure and accessible and create a ‘muggers paradise’ across the network.
Looking through the list for my area there would be any ticket offices open even at the two bigger stations. Now i suspect not all these will actually be closures more reduced staffing and hours and in reality that makes sense at certain times of the day but there are still a fair few people who queue up use the ticket window. Lets be clear most gateline staff who are near the machines don't have the knowledge that the ticket office staff have so they will need to upskill them unless the industry no longer bothered about passengers that aren't tech literate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
I'm sure that list is just a list of every single ticket office in the country?

i.e they don't know which ones it'll effect, so if we list all of them we'll be ok, and it'll generate maximum press coverage if the local press think Manchester Pic or Birmingham NS ticket offices are about to be closed

skyhigh

Established Member

i.e they don't know which ones it'll effect, so if we list all of them we'll be ok, and it'll generate maximum press coverage if the local press think Manchester Pic or Birmingham NS ticket offices are about to be closed
It has to be that, or they've lumped together every ticket office at risk of reduced hours with potential closures to give a bigger impact.

LowLevel

Established Member
It's just an out of date list of all booking offices with a half hearted attempt at updating some items, presumably released to nudge all ticket office staff into voting yes in their current ballot/generate maximum publicity.

I think the only remaining ticket office in the East Midlands would be at Newark Castle if that list was current.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Every station that transferred to Northern back in 2016 is still listed under TPE... another effort from the RMT to stir the pot.

Class360/1

Just read the greater Anglia section and some have already closed; Dovercourt in 2018.

In regards to Colchester, the ticket office is always being used by someone whenever I visit. (1970’s part)

DanNCL

Established Member
They have literally listed every single ticket office on the national rail network. They've got their heads even further up their backsides than I thought if they seriously think every single ticket office is at risk of permanent closure.

Are there any rules that prevent unions from deliberately misleading their members into voting for industrial action that they wouldn't vote for if presented with the true picture? If not, I think it's time Westminster introduced them and quickly. If the RMT get away with this, unions in other industries will follow suit and we'll end up with mass havoc across the country with almost everything.

High Dyke

Established Member
They have literally listed every single ticket office on the national rail network. They've got their heads even further up their backsides than I thought if they seriously think every single ticket office is at risk of permanent closure.

Are there any rules that prevent unions from deliberately misleading their members into voting for industrial action that they wouldn't vote for if presented with the true picture? If not, I think it's time Westminster introduced them and quickly. If the RMT get away with this, unions in other industries will follow suit and we'll end up with mass havoc across the country with almost everything.
Yes, there will always be fallibilities in conveyance of accurate information, but is some form of legislation really necessary?

So, to turn this around. You are the trade union leader who has members in these ticket offices. You would want to protect the jobs and livelihood for those people. The employer goes ahead with closing ticket offices and you've sat and done nothing for the people affected. How good would that look?

Agent_Squash

Established Member
So, to turn this around. You are the trade union leader who has members in these ticket offices. You would want to protect the jobs and livelihood for those people. The employer goes ahead with closing ticket offices and you've sat and done nothing for the people affected. How good would that look?
But they're hardly going to be closing the ticket office at Piccadilly tomorrow are they? The RMT have taken hyperbole to a new level.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Yes, there will always be fallibilities in conveyance of accurate information, but is some form of legislation really necessary?

I doubt ’the employer’ is planning to close London Paddington’s ticket office though. Or Bristol Temple Meads. Or Plymouth. RMT harm their own campaign by going so ridiculously over the top, the actual medium-level risk (of closures at smaller/mid level stations) will get through by default.

High Dyke

Established Member
But they're hardly going to be closing the ticket office at Piccadilly tomorrow are they? The RMT have taken hyperbole to a new level.

I doubt ’the employer’ is planning to close London Paddington’s ticket office though. Or Bristol Temple Meads. Or Plymouth. RMT harm their own campaign by going so ridiculously over the top, the actual medium-level risk (of closures at smaller/mid level stations) will get through by default.
No? What's to stop the employer / DfT / Government trying?

Spartacus

Established Member
Totally ridiculous from the RMT, and it won't do them any favours with the general public, or with many rail workers, who'll just see it as silly, pointless list of most of the country's ticket offices.

They've got wind that ticket offices may be up for closure, but have absolutely no idea which, because their operators probably don't know which yet, so they've listed them all.

It's like hearing lines may be examined to see if any should be closed, but not knowing which they list them all, from the branch and freight lines to HS1!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Yep. Reads to me like they are twisting what has really happened, that is all staff on the relevant grades put "at risk of redundancy".

dmncf

DfT need to bite the bullet of fares simplification, but they never do. I can see the attraction of large scale ticket office closures, on a railway heavily dependent on government subsidy, but in my opinion it's not palatable while there's a big chunk of fares that are too complex to buy from a website or ticket vending machine.

Flying Snail

Established Member

That sounds perfectly reasonable. I propose this is introduced immediately after it is made a criminal offence with mandatory jailtime for elected officials and senior civil service officers to lie to the public.

DanNCL

Established Member
When unions are lying on such an industrial scale with a deliberate attempt to cause mass havoc for the public solely for politcal gain then yes. Do you think the RMT would be doing this with a Labour government? No doubt they'd still be making a fuss but not to anywhere near the same level as the political incentive wouldn't be there.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be doing anything at all, obviously at locations where jobs genuinely are at risk they should take a stand. But claims that ticket offices at places such as Kings Cross and New Street are going to close are utterly ridiculous, and are plainly lies from the RMT.

The threat of the Lib Dems taking even more of the Blue wall in the next general election will make a difference.

Show me hard evidence that DfT are planning to shut Paddington ticket office and I’ll eat the fares manual whole :D
Not just the fares manual, I'd be eating every single penalty fares poster on the network too :lol:

That sounds perfectly reasonable. I propose this is introduced immediately after it is made a criminal offence with mandatory jailtime for elected officials and senior civil service officers to lie to the public.
Indeed, exactly what I had in mind.

philthetube

Established Member

I hope you are including politicians in this

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
No mention of Merseyrail in this list.
The networks not under DfT control aren't on the list: TfW, Scotrail, Merseyrail.
That doesn't mean there are no plans for ticket office changes at those TOCs, but the decision will be a local one (by TfW, TS, Merseytravel).

Spartacus

Established Member
DfT need to bite the bullet of fares simplification, but they never do. I can see the attraction of large scale ticket office closures, on a railway heavily dependent on government subsidy, but in my opinion it's not palatable while there's a big chunk of fares that are too complex to buy from a website or ticket vending machine.

We had fares simplification in West Yorkshire, what it meant was the withdrawal of a lot of cheap fares and an increase in restrictions. Be careful what you wish for.

Flying Snail

Established Member
I hope you are including politicians in this

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I am specifically talking about MPs and their senior Whitehall lackeys.

It is increasingly humorous to watch anti-union tory types demand standards in democracy and conduct from unions that the government from PM down are incapable of conforming with.

nedchester

Established Member
Are you saying that those who work in ticket offices do know the different fares.

Some are very good but many haven’t a clue. It’s very hit and miss.

Haywain

Veteran Member
RMT seem to be unaware that Dunbar ceased to be an LNER station something like 6 or 7 years ago. And reduced hours were introduced at LNER offices at the beginning of April.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Oldham Mumps is shown on the list of Northern stations. Suggest RMT go and try to find it (and the railway station) as it closed on 3rd October 2009.

Manchester Airport is on the TPE list. Have RMT ever watched the airport passengers from abroad with queries in the usual long queues there?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Nothing but RMTs approach over this and other issues isn't help the industry deal with the challenges ahead. At the moment Cash is is doing his utmost to foment a national strike which won't help anybody least of all his members. Its clear DfT are in combative mood and they ought to be clearing the air with the unions about the severity of the financial challenges and building a coalition with them and GBR transition team about how the industry reacts to the situation to ensure the network stays intact and majority of its members retain employment.

Status
Not open for further replies.