• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT union to ballot VTEC members over strike action

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavin

The RMT union is to ballot VTEC members over strike action in a dispute over pay

A RAIL union is to ballot members over strike action on the East Coast Main Line.

Members of the RMT will vote on industrial action over a pay dispute with rail operator Virgin East Coast, the union announced this morning.

The union leadership says the company has decided to impose a pay offer which has previously been rejected by its members..

They say the offer includes productivity clauses which they claim would create a two-tier workforce where new applicants and long-standing staff would have different rights.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said: “It is shocking that the company are offering new employees no sick pay for the first 12 months and an inferior sick pay scheme thereafter.

“The pay offer was put to our members and they rejected it by a large majority.

“Instead of negotiating the company has sought to impose the offer”.

Virgin East Coast has yet to respond to this morning's announcement

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ne...lot_members__on_East_Coast_industrial_action/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

footprints

The RMT are beyond a joke now. Is there a single question to which their answer isn't "Strike!"? They seem to be trying their best to encourage every train operator to consider whether employing a second safety-critical member of staff is worth the hassle.

Darandio

Established Member
When I first thought of this yesterday I was only being half serious, but now i'm deadly serious. Can the forum team consider an all new section of the forum dedicated to strikes?

Much easier to find all strike related content in one place and with recent events, plenty of content to fill the section up!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It makes me wonder if the RMT are gradually working through the TOCs one by one until they call each one out on the same day (as now) until they can claim a General Strike.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
When I first thought of this yesterday I was only being half serious, but now i'm deadly serious. Can the forum team consider an all new section of the forum dedicated to strikes?

Much easier to find all strike related content in one place and with recent events, plenty of content to fill the section up!
I agree. Half of the General Discussions page is taken up by Strike action..

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The RMT are beyond a joke now. Is there a single question to which their answer isn't "Strike!"? They seem to be trying their best to encourage every train operator to consider whether employing a second safety-critical member of staff is worth the hassle.

sigh.

Because, of course, as soon as decision is reached the union don't like they immediately ballot for action. Whereas what, reading the linked Northern Echo report, seems more likely to have happened is that there have been talks about, an offer made, endorsed by the union, put to members, rejected by a majority of members, more talks, impasse, company introduces rejected scheme, ballot for action. The mandate to strike given by the members of a union does not guarantee a strike.

It is almost as if some posters live in a different world.

westv

Established Member
It'd be so much simpler if there were "no strike" agreements on the railways.

SaveECRewards

It'd be so much simpler if there were "no strike" agreements on the railways.
A bit unfair to those people who, no fault of their own, ended up working for this shambles of a company. Morale due to cutbacks on-board is at such a low some members of crew now think it was better in the NXEC days (when morale was also very low).

When deciding who to believe I'd rather trust those who work on board delivering good service day after day than a company that tries to use spin to convince us they're awesome!

westv

Established Member
What benefit does that bring to the employees and in return for what?
I've no idea. That's what an agreement would be for. The RMT don't have my interests at heart so why should I have theirs?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Just heard on Radio 5 that one of the reasons for the potential strike action is that Virgin will not pay employees in their first year of employment any sick pay. That seems wrong to me. I know, sorry, showing my terrible lefty stance their.

I've no idea. That's what an agreement would be for. The RMT don't have my interests at heart so why should I have theirs?

That is an odd statement - do you suggest that Virgin Trains have your best interests at heart? or Tesco? Or Audi?

Clip

Established Member
That is an odd statement - do you suggest that Virgin Trains have your best interests at heart? or Tesco? Or Audi?

Are Tesco and Audi about to go on strike? Does westv even drive an Audi or looking to purchase one in the future to be able to compare them with a strike on a railway which they use?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just heard on Radio 5 that one of the reasons for the potential strike action is that Virgin will not pay employees in their first year of employment any sick pay. That seems wrong to me. I know, sorry, showing my terrible lefty stance their.

They may not be willing to pay them contractual sick pay but they don't have any choice about paying them Statutory Sick Pay! Though it's only £89.35 per week which if you've been used to earning say £500 per week would be a very hard adjustment to make. Plus it's limited to 28 weeks maximum as well. I can certainly see why the RMT are pushing back on this and I don't say that I can blame them!

JamesT

Established Member
Graduated occupational sick pay depending on length of service is fairly standard I thought. Nothing on top of SSP for the first year seems a little harsh though.
For a comparison, http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/personnel/during/sickmanage/sickpay/ is the policy of my current employer. There will have been some Union input into this, they certainly get involved when the pay negotiations come round.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
They may not be willing to pay them contractual sick pay but they don't have any choice about paying them Statutory Sick Pay! Though it's only £89.35 per week which if you've been used to earning say £500 per week would be a very hard adjustment to make. Plus it's limited to 28 weeks maximum as well. I can certainly see why the RMT are pushing back on this and I don't say that I can blame them!

Quite right - thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.