• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT's Steve Hedley attacked by mob

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I'm not sure how much news of this has spread among union members but it doesn't seem to be something the mainstream media are bothering with. While I'm often not a fan of the RMT's stance on this occasion I think it definitely sounds like he was speaking for the many and attacked by a set of extremists.

Evening Standard said:
A union boss was attacked after speaking at a counter-protest to a rally supporting jailed far-right leader Tommy Robinson and US president Donald Trump.

Steve Hedley, senior assistant general secretary of the RMT, was assaulted by supporters of the US president and Robinson, according to anti-fascism campaigners Hope Not Hate.

It came as Scotland Yard confirmed that 12 people had been arrested at the demonstration for offences ranging from violent disorder to assault.

Witnesses said a mob ambushed two men at the Westminster Arms pub in central London in a targeted attack.

"They (the attackers) knew what they were doing," one witness, who asked not to be named, said.

Smashed glass was strewn across the pavement outside the establishment on Storey's Gate, and pictures showed Mr Hedley with a bandaged head and bloodied face.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...inking-at-pub-after-speaking-at-a3887466.html

Image of Mr Hedley after the attack: https://i2-prod.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article12920744.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/DiFaPpqWAAACzF_.jpg (Don't view if you're about to eat.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bromley boy

Established Member
I’m not sure it’s at all clear who was attacking whom.

You’d think someone in a senior position in a TU would know not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What a pity both parties couldn’t protest in a more dignified manner.

Downthelane

Having witnessed something else like this recently I am quite emotive on the subject, so forgive my cynicism.

It's a dreadful situation and I think Brexit vote has given the far right an excuse to do such things.

Last edited by a moderator:

transmanche

Established Member
I'm not sure how much news of this has spread among union members but it doesn't seem to be something the mainstream media are bothering with.
So the 'mainstream media' are not bothering with it, but you posted two links to 'mainstream media' newspaper websites reporting the story?

Hmmm, I don't think you can say the story is being ignored. It was also covered by ITV News ("Union leader attacked after counter-protest to Trump and Robinson rally"), heck, even The Sun reported it ("RMT union boss left bloodied amid clashes between Robinson supporters and anti-fascist protesters").

It was supporters of Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (aka Tommy Robinson) who attacked Mr Hedley. A nasty bunch of racists and fascists who care nothing for the law. Or facts.

They were also spotted trying to intimidate a headscarf-wearing woman driving a TfL bus. In a true demonstration of Britishness, she seems almost amused by their antics.

DiJjG5BXkAIirmW.jpg

Source: twitter.com

Jonfun

Established Member
Having witnessed something else like this recently I am quite emotive on the subject, so forgive my cynicism.

It's a dreadful situation and I think Brexit vote has given the far right an excuse to do such things.

No it hasn't. The vast majority of Brexit supporters wouldn't ambush and attack someone in the street (or a pub or wherever). The ones who wanted to perpetrate such crimes would do it anyway, Brexit or not!

Downthelane

No it hasn't. The vast majority of Brexit supporters wouldn't ambush and attack someone in the street (or a pub or wherever). The ones who wanted to perpetrate such crimes would do it anyway, Brexit or not!

Of course they wouldn't but the vote has created a forum for the far right and that picture above is a disgrace too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bromley boy

Established Member
They were also spotted trying to intimidate a headscarf-wearing woman driving a TfL bus. In a true demonstration of Britishness, she seems almost amused by their antics.

Good for her. She should have run them down.

I’m on record as a leave voter - and saying I’m no fan of the headscarf - but I don’t support intimidation of any kind, least of all against an innocent woman getting on with her job. As a leave voter, I also detest the EDL and everything they stand for.

Apparently I need to make that clear, as recent postings have shown. :rolleyes:

transmanche

Established Member
No it hasn't.
Er, yes it has. The documented increase in hate crimes since the referendum indicates that some people feel it now gives them carte blanche to verbally and physically assault those they deem to be 'foreign'.

Home Office figures show a 29% increase in hate crime in 2016-2017 over the previous year. That's a total of over 80,000 reported hate crimes (plus who knows how many unreported crimes). This was widely reported in the media last autumn; e.g. The Independent ("Hate-crime reports rise by almost a third in year as Home Office figures illustrate EU-referendum spike") and BBC News ("Rise in hate crime in England and Wales")

Source: Home Office.

transmanche

Established Member
I’m on record as a leave voter - and saying I’m no fan of the headscarf - but I don’t support intimidation of any kind, least of all against an innocent woman getting on with her job. As a leave voter, I also detest the EDL and everything they stand for.
It seems like not all leave voters share your positive view. Looks like at least one person waving a UKIP flag was part of the crowd trying to intimidate that bus driver.

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 18.52.09.png
Source: The Independent

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member

It's a dreadful situation and I think the Brexit vote has given the far right an excuse to do such things.
when have the far right ever needed an excuse? or the loony left for that matter....

Bromley boy

Established Member
It seems like not all leave voters share your positive view. Looks like at least one person waving a UKIP flag was part of the crowd trying to intimidate that bus driver.

View attachment 49593
Source: The Independent

That photo doesn’t show anything or the sort. The photo we were discussing was the one above.

Even if they were, it’s pathetic to reduce this discussion to a suggestion that the EDL, or intimidation of that bus driver, is somehow the fault of the leave vote as a collective.

Keep in mind the RMT bloke who was assaulted was likely a leave voter himself since the RMT itself is pro leave!

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
So the 'mainstream media' are not bothering with it, but you posted two links to 'mainstream media' newspaper websites reporting the story?

Hmmm, I don't think you can say the story is being ignored. It was also covered by ITV News ("Union leader attacked after counter-protest to Trump and Robinson rally"), heck, even The Sun reported it ("RMT union boss left bloodied amid clashes between Robinson supporters and anti-fascist protesters").

It was supporters of Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (aka Tommy Robinson) who attacked Mr Hedley. A nasty bunch of racists and fascists who care nothing for the law. Or facts.

DiJjG5BXkAIirmW.jpg

Source: twitter.com

I watched the ITV News at the weekend. The protests got mentioned as did some arrests but they didn't mention the Hedley incident, while the bus driver's reaction is getting a lot more media attention. I wouldn't think of either a Scottish paper or the Evening Standard as the first places to go for news even if I can find their articles via Google.

transmanche

Established Member
That photo doesn’t show anything or the sort.
Er, yes it does. It's a screenshot of a video taken showing the crowd trying to intimidate the bus driver. And it's clearly a UKIP flag being flown. I linked to the news article showing the complete video in post #18.

Even if they were, it’s pathetic to reduce this discussion to a suggestion that the EDL is somehow the fault of the leave vote, as a collective.
I don't think anybody suggested that. But the referendum result has emboldened them - as the figures I referred to above demonstrate.

Today, arch-leaver Michael Gove, has stated the leave campaign was wrong in how it handled the immigration issue. Even the Daily Mail is reporting that "Michael Gove admits Vote Leave was WRONG to stoke fears about immigration during referendum battle".

Bromley boy

Established Member
Er, yes it does. It's a screenshot of a video taken showing the crowd trying to intimidate the bus driver. And it's clearly a UKIP flag being flown. I linked to the news article showing the complete video in post #18.

That still isn’t clear to me from looking at it.

As I said above, even if it is, I don’t think UKIP have ever been in favour of EDL style violence. In fact I seem to remember Nigel Farage himself was intimidated by a load of anti UKIP protesters in Downe when out with his family, a few years back.

Several arrests in relation to the above violence were from the anti trump side, so may have voted remain, but I don’t see you trying to argue that the remain vote at large has promoted violence.

I don't think anybody suggested that. But the referendum result has emboldened them - as the figures I referred to above demonstrate.

There’s a seperate thread to discuss EU/remain.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I’m not sure it’s at all clear who was attacking whom.

You’d think someone in a senior position in a TU would know not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What a pity both parties couldn’t protest in a more dignified manner.

it was suggested on Twitter he was drinking in a pub and was attacked. There were also suggestions it was targeted.

transmanche

Established Member
That still isn’t clear to me from looking at it.
I guess we'll have to disagree then.

As I said above, even if it is, I don’t think UKIP have ever been in favour of EDL style violence.
No, even I don't believe Farage et al would support such things. But that fact that at least one UKIP flag-waver was present suggests that some UKIP supporters are also supporters of violence.

Several arrests in relation to the above violence were from the anti trump side, so may have voted remain, but I don’t see you trying to argue that the remain vote at large has promoted violence.
Firstly you're making a massive assumption that anti-Trump protestors also voted to remain.

Secondly, I'm not aware of any violence being reported at the many anti-Trump demonstrations across the country on Friday.

And thirdly there's absolutely no evidence that "the remain vote at large has promoted violence" (whatever you mean by that), but plenty of evidence that the leave vote has emboldened those on the far-right to commit violence.

Last edited:

farleigh

Er, yes it has. The documented increase in hate crimes since the referendum indicates that some people feel it now gives them carte blanche to verbally and physically assault those they deem to be 'foreign'.

Home Office figures show a 29% increase in hate crime in 2016-2017 over the previous year. That's a total of over 80,000 reported hate crimes (plus who knows how many unreported crimes). This was widely reported in the media last autumn; e.g. The Independent ("Hate-crime reports rise by almost a third in year as Home Office figures illustrate EU-referendum spike") and BBC News ("Rise in hate crime in England and Wales")

Source: Home Office.
This post seems very inaccurate.

The rise in crime following the vote does not indicate causality.

It is as senseless as saying that England losing to Iceland on penalties in 2016 led to the rise in these crimes. I know you did not make the headlines, but it just shows how the media can present things and many people believe them without thinking critically.

It may be the case that the vote did lead to a rise, but there is no solid evidence for this.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
This post seems very inaccurate.

The rise in crime following the vote does not indicate causality.

It is as senseless as saying that England losing to Iceland on penalties in 2016 led to the rise in these crimes. I know you did not make the headlines, but it just shows how the media can present things and many people believe them without thinking critically.

It may be the case that the vote did lead to a rise, but there is no solid evidence for this.

Exactly... there may have been an increase in hate crime since the referendum... BUT there is no way of ever knowing whether the increase would have been less, more or the same if the referendum vote had swung the other way... there is one fact though... hate crime had been increasing before the referendum

Bromley boy

Established Member
it was suggested on Twitter he was drinking in a pub and was attacked. There were also suggestions it was targeted.

If that’s the case then it’s even more appalling and I hope those responsible are caught and dealt with.

Such a shame this thread has been hikacked by the usual remain crew blaming it all on us leavers - who must all also be jackbooted EDL supporters, naturally :D.

I despair sometimes.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Steve Headley looks exactly like the sort of person a Brexit supporter would like though: white, bald and middle-aged.

Really?

This leave voter prefers a full head of hair, petite, 20 something and exotic looking. At least in terms of online dating...

Which is an equally silly comment.

transmanche

Established Member
It is as senseless as saying that England losing to Iceland on penalties in 2016 led to the rise in these crimes.
For what it's worth there's very good evidence that England losing at football leads to a spike in domestic violence incidents. This report from ABC Australia demonstrates:
ABC said:
"If England get beaten, so will she."
Study after study has found major fixtures for some sports are associated with a substantial increase in domestic violence.

And in England, there's no bigger sporting event than the World Cup. The national team haven't won a semi-final since 1966. Whether or not the national team beats the Croatians, Thursday night in England is likely to be messy and violent for many people. According to police data, domestic violence increases 26 per cent when England play. It goes up 38 per cent when England lose.

I know you did not make the headlines, but it just shows how the media can present things and many people believe them without thinking critically.

I, like you, am a cynic. But the BBC report I linked above stated that "[the Home Office report] also noted a spike in hate crime around the time of the EU referendum". The Home Office's chart illustrates this well, look at that spike immediately after the referendum. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence from victims of hate crime that some attackers have referenced the referendum vote during the commission of their crimes.

_98351259_offences_chart_640_v4.png

Last edited:

farleigh

For what it's worth there's very good evidence that England losing at football leads to a spike in domestic violence incidents.

I, like you, am a cynic. But the BBC report I linked above stated that "[the Home Office report] also noted a spike in hate crime around the time of the EU referendum". The Home Office's chart illustrates this well, look at that spike immediately after the referendum. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence from victims of hate crime that some attackers have referenced the referendum vote during the commission of their crimes.

_98351259_offences_chart_640_v4.png
Good stats but note in each case that the crime was already on the increase before the incident which nullifies your assertion.

As for people referencing the referendum as they make an attack, I defer to you as I have seen no evidence of this.

I am not saying the spike did not occur, rather that it is impossible to attribute it to the vote.

transmanche

Established Member
Indeed, not only do those who voted leave support far right nutters and condone violence, they are also racists as well. Well, according to certain posters in this thread anyway.
No-one has suggested that all leave voters are far-right nutters who condone violence. So stop being ridiculous.

What is beyond doubt is that the hate crime spiked after the referendum. That's a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.