• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rochdale Train Fire (26/09/23)

M60lad

Does anybody have any information about which train caught fire last night causing the closure of the Calder Valley line between Manchester Victoria and Rochdale at Monsall?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geeves

Established Member
I think it will be touch and go whether it gets repaired or not. The fire has also burnt through into the actual passenger cabin, daylight can be seen through the floor!

Driver coasted into the loop outside Newton Heath (after losing power) with the train ablaze, that must've been a sight!

skyhigh

Established Member
I think it will be touch and go whether it gets repaired or not. The fire has also burnt through into the actual passenger cabin, daylight can be seen through the floor!
As it's a /2 it wouldn't be too hard to use the intact coach to form another 3 car, or I suppose one of the 3 cars could be formed back as 2 car temporarily if required.

animationmilo

Should send it to Landore where TFWs 150242 and 150279 are being repaired after the Craven Arms crash last May

diligentdave

Finally on the back of Allely's lorries today. Should be delivered to Brodie Engineering in Kilmarnock on Friday 23rd.

M60lad

Saw one of the vehicles this afternoon heading up Nuthurst Road and then turning onto Broadway (A663) heading towards M60 at about 12:40.

Out of interest would they be a reason why it couldn't go Kilmarnock by Rail?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Saw one of the vehicles this afternoon heading up Nuthurst Road and then turning onto Broadway (A663) heading towards M60 at about 12:40.

Surely because of the fire damage one would assume?

marty56110

I passed both coaches heading up the A1 near Wetherby about 14.30 today, assumed both must of been heading to Kilmarnock.

diligentdave

Is it just the 52218 vehicle going away
Both vehicles

Because of the amount of damage the fire and the fire brigade did to the one vehicle.

Towers

Established Member
Both vehicles

Because of the amount of damage the fire and the fire brigade did to the one vehicle.
What damage did the fire service do (unavoidably, obviously) just out of interest? Usually water damage of course, but structural would certainly be interesting!

LowLevel

Established Member
What damage did the fire service do (unavoidably, obviously) just out of interest? Usually water damage of course, but structural would certainly be interesting!
I'm sure I read that they chopped straight through the floor.

skyhigh

Established Member
That seems an odd thing to do, assuming it was accessible externally!
The fire brigade are generally very thorough. Given the cramped nature of the underframe equipment I imagine they wanted to be certain there was no fire remaining.