• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rodgers Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Here's some tips

http://www.rodgersrail.fotopic.net/p24381049.html

Photos like this, that are underexposed, are best not uploaded.

I take many photos, possibly 100, on one trip, but I delete most of them, so don't worry about that, we all do it!

http://www.rodgersrail.fotopic.net/p24381050.html

Looks like camera shake (can be fixed by using a tripod - you can get cheap mini tripods from Jessops that do the trick and fit in your pocket!), and digital zoom.

To be honest, digital zoom is not worth bothering with. If you need to zoom in beyond optical zoom, you will end up with poor results, and you may as well ignore digital zoom and use photo editing software (I believe Photoshop will do a better job at zooming in than many digital cameras digital zooms).

Also, a lot of poles in the way unfortunately.

Several photos show evidence of flash being used, the worst example being http://www.rodgersrail.fotopic.net/p24381020.html

Unfortunately it shows that you used flash towards an approaching train, hopefully the driver was not too badly affected by the incident.

In general, never use flash for photographing large objects such as trains, as it will give poor results and can be dangerous.

In order to get good results in dark conditions, your best bet is to use long exposure times, for example this http://yorkie.fotopic.net/p22086756.html would be so dark you would barely be able to see the loco if I had used a normal exposure time. Flash would have had abysmal results.

At night try longer exposure times, use of a tripod is essential. Photograph stationary trains, not moving ones.

Where you have several photos that are similar, select the best one and delete the rest (e.g. http://www.rodgersrail.fotopic.net/p24381062.html is the least blurred of 3 almost identical shots, but a tripod would have helped).

The best photo is probably http://www.rodgersrail.fotopic.net/p24381056.html (although as the train was moving, a shorter exposure would have focussed the train better).

The Swanage collection is much better than the London Trip collection, IMO.

I hope that helps :)

Jim

Established Member
TBH, the cheep tipods are rubbish, as you cann see, most my pics are slightly angled with it :lol: My digital zooom is rubbish, so I will agree with you there yorkie

Beaker, why were you using flash at KX. More importantally how the hell did you get away with it. :shock: Most people on here get told of for taking shots in daylight at KX...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jim said:
TBH, the cheep tipods are rubbish, as you cann see, most my pics are slightly angled with it :lol: My digital zooom is rubbish, so I will agree with you there yorkie.
Yes it's difficult to get them totally level, but that's where image editing software proves useful ;)

Beaker

Established Member
I did not use flash . Its this brilliant thing called technology where you can change settings on your camera. and another thing photo editing. Brilliant really you should read up on it.

Sprog

Established Member
Im was going to comment on the flash issue yesterday, but i see Yorkie already has it covered.

Beaker said:
I did not use flash . Its this brilliant thing called technology where you can change settings on your camera. and another thing photo editing. Brilliant really you should read up on it.

http://www.rodgersrail.fotopic.net/p24381020.html

That is flash. You are cleary lieing through your teeth. :x Firstly, the illumination of the retro-reflective label on the SPT (Signal Post Telephone) and also, illumination of the 'No Unarthorised Persons.....' sign. Finally, the reflection off of the dumb 'buffers' (plastic covers) and the cabfront, just below the windscreen, of the 365. These all demonstrate the fact that you used flash. :roll:

It appears you used flash in many of your pictures, incl. the '90' at Liverpool Street and the 'scrappers' at Old Oak.

To be hounest, most of those pictures are pretty poor. The best picture out of all those IMO is:

http://www.rodgersrail.fotopic.net/p24381030.html

Keep up the good work ;)

jonb

Established Member
Nathan you have some good shots on there but really do need to sort through the ones that even you don't want on there, this will improve the quality of the website. Remember quality not quanitity.

As for the flash issue (Especially the KX one) The photo clearly suggests you used flash as overs have said No idea how you got away with this! Anyway just remember to turn flash off when your out and about on the Railways.

Hope this helps!

Established Member
Beaker said:
You can tell you used the flash. its to obvious

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Beaker said:
If the photo editing was done "brilliantly", it would not end up with everything very dark apart from reflective surfaces that end up bright. ;)

Maybe you didn't mean to use flash, perhaps flash is on by default? Read the manual to determine how to force flash off.

Jim

Established Member
Beaker said:

Off course. I was on there this morning, & the :shock: 365 driver seemed to of left a comment

Anyone that uses flash on or near the railway should be ashamed of themselves. It is a very stupid and dangerous thing to do. If the driver is braking for the station or coming up to a red then how do you think temporary blindness is going to affect it?

Met Driver

Established Member
James 66526 said:
Anyone that uses flash on or near the railway should be ashamed of themselves. It is a very stupid and dangerous thing to do. If the driver is braking for the station or coming up to a red then how do you think temporary blindness is going to affect it?

I think we all realise that the consqeunces of taking flash photos of moving trans are potentially quite dangerous. Can we just leave it at that please - the photo concerned has been removed now.

metrocammel

Yes, Flash has clearly been used, a giveaway is when Voyagers/Pendo's reflective squiggle at the front is "dazzling" I agree it is foolish and pointless "flashing" at moving trains at night or day, as the result is awful. But a "flash" wont really cause temporary blindness, or else Im sure speed cameras would not be allowed to "flash" on fast, busy roads. an average flash from a camera is less per "candlelight" than a 24Kv panto spark, and obviously that is a normal on OH electics.
That is the reason why at Liverpool Street many enthusiasts got annoyed when the staff had been instructed to shout at people for using flash, not due to dazzling people, but incase the "flash" causes a "light-sensitive" bomb to be activated - like will they have to turn the whole GE ovehead system off incase of these unheard of "light-sensitve" bombs!

But Yes, Do not use flash on the national network as a rule of thumb, though Ive done it once (with the permission of the 91 driver) as I took a phot with flash with a long exposure of the "GNER" logo on leaving Newark at nigh , and there is an very eye-catching floating gold "GNER" logo in the air with the station (and a blurred line of the train windows) as the background. It was a phot I was impressed with.

<<EDIT>> Sorry Seth, I started writing the message before your request, and didnt realise what you posted

Julian G

Established Member
yorkie said:
Here's some tips

I take many photos, possibly 100, on one trip, but I delete most of them, so don't worry about that, we all do it!
Example:Mostly Doncaster
Yorkie went to Doncaster , he took 30 photos from Doncaster
He uploaded the best 12pics to the web
-----------------
Don't upload bad pics as it will let the site down

RJ

Established Member
Why use flash at KX? There are boxes and telephones to rest your cameras on.

Coxster

Established Member
1288gaje said:
yorkie said:
Here's some tips

Example:Mostly Doncaster
Yorkie went to Doncaster , he took 30 photos from Doncaster
He uploaded the best 12pics to the web
-----------------
Don't upload bad pics as it will let the site down
Love the walk! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.