• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rosslare, Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

tivoli

Planning to travel from Bray to Rosslare, then on to ferry. How far is between the end of the railway at Europort and the harbour?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PFX

You'll need to get a taxi! Only joking, it can't be any more than about 150 - 200 metres.

89-763-733

611 metres! I measured it with GPS. (You can't take a direct route and have to walk in a long loop through the carpark)

Eire Sprinter

Interesting that it's 611 metres.

Having walked it many times I think around 8 mins is an average time.

A few snippets of info that may help:

If time allows there's a good walk via Bray Head to Greystones (accessed from end of esplanade/seafront) and great shots of railway from it.

Nice wall mosaics at Bray Station platform 2 - including Brunel, Dargan etc...

At Rosslare Europort one leaves the platform via a walkway fenced both sides, on the left is the locomotive shed now used as a bus garage by Bus Éireann. Next the turntable can be seen through the fence of the small car park you pass. There's a steam train coming to Rosslare late next month (RPSI).

The cafe on the ground floor of the ferry terminal is usually open in the evenings.

There are self-service luggage lockers in the terminal (2 euro refundable I think) if one wants a stroll up to the Harbour village. This might be worthwhile especially on brighter evenings towards summer.

Iarnród Éireann still sell SailRail tickets for this route but nearest point of purchase would be the ticket counter in Connolly. Having compared the new fares for the Rosslare line with the advance SailRail fares, the SailRail through ticket works out cheaper from the Dublin area than buying a separate ticket to Rosslare. Sailing being 21.00hrs Stena Line to Fishguard.

Hope this info is of some help.

tivoli

Thanks for your help. may stop over night and take morning ferry anyway, but good to know all my options.

Eire Sprinter

No problem.

There are several B & Bs in Rosslare Harbour village easily walkable to the port. One I have stayed in is very close to the old station at Kilrane (platform of same still visible) and is around 10 minutes walk along a country lane from Rosslare Harbour's small shopping centre, in turn this is close to the top of Delap's Hill leading down into the port (Delap was an engineer I understand associated with the construction of the port).

Feel free to drop me a PM if I can be of assistance.

Last edited:

The islander

It's a shame they moved the station and worse close the line to Waterford from Rosslare. :cry:

Guess have to either get the bus which costs me or travel via Conolly and Heuston stations in Dublin on train.

The station is about a 7-8 min walk from the ferry terminal last time I went.

Eire Sprinter

+ 1. The station won several awards before it moved. It moved in April 2008.

Rosslare-Waterford should never have been closed - but at least the track is being maintained (thankfully there's a contract to ensure it is) and the line has been used for empty stock movements and ballast train testing etc...

Nobody knows what the next few years will bring but fuel prices, population changes, changing EU rules etc...can all make a difference. As someone once said we can be guaranteed of change!

Are you going from Rosslare to Waterford? If so, the bus that has replaced the train is quite good value (very similar to the good value train fares).
But the cheap fares only apply on the route 370 bus (not on the route 40 bus). The 370 leaves Rosslare port (just outside terminal) at 6.40am Mon-Sat so nicely timed for the inbound ferry from Fishguard:

Rail replacement bus timetable:
http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1284376415-370.pdf

Adult single and day return ticket are same price, €11.

Open return (valid 1 month) is €16.50

tivoli

Will be going on to ferry back to Britain. Have arrived at Rosslare in the past by bus from Waterford, but this will be first time arriving from the Dublin direction.

I Am now more than likely going to stay overnight then take 9am ferry, have stayed at Ferryport in the past, but that seems to be closed for refurbishment at the moment, now looking at Harbour View.

While on the subject, considering 17.17 from Bray on a Friday, doesn't appear to be bookable, is it likely to be busy?

Eire Sprinter

This train is normally worked by a 29000 class hence it's not possible to book online for it as only the Inter City railcars (such as work all the other Connolly-Rosslare journeys have a seat reservation system).

I saw it one recent evening (not a Friday though) passing Newcastle (just south of Kilcoole) - there were passengers throughout it but nobody seemed to be standing.

I don't know what Friday loads are like but unless there is some major event in Dublin the same day boarding it is very unlikely to be an issue.

I have found Carragh Lodge good and personal.

The islander

+ 1. The station won several awards before it moved. It moved in April 2008.

Rosslare-Waterford should never have been closed - but at least the track is being maintained (thankfully there's a contract to ensure it is) and the line has been used for empty stock movements and ballast train testing etc...

Nobody knows what the next few years will bring but fuel prices, population changes, changing EU rules etc...can all make a difference. As someone once said we can be guaranteed of change!

Are you going from Rosslare to Waterford? If so, the bus that has replaced the train is quite good value (very similar to the good value train fares).
But the cheap fares only apply on the route 370 bus (not on the route 40 bus). The 370 leaves Rosslare port (just outside terminal) at 6.40am Mon-Sat so nicely timed for the inbound ferry from Fishguard:

Rail replacement bus timetable:
http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1284376415-370.pdf

Adult single and day return ticket are same price, €11.

Open return (valid 1 month) is €16.50

Thanks I am off there next month. But I got a FIP coupon for CIE so I will go via Dublin. I am going to Limerick.

Eire Sprinter

Hope you have a good trip.

Stena Line provide a complimentary bus from Dublin Port to Connolly Station and Westmoreland Street.

Irish Ferries contract a Dublin Bus to bring passengers from the port to Busáras (early-morning journey from port connecting with 05.55 arrival (02.40 ex Holyhead) continues to Heuston). €2.50 single.

Even with a through ticket to provincial stations one still has to pay on this bus service which does tourism no favours. I guess it'll be the same with FIP.

Last edited:

wheeltapper1

The CIE coupon is only valid for rail services.

Coupons issued to IE staff have CIE on the front cover and likewise IE FIP cards have CIE as the issuing administration.

bkhtele

Thinking of travelling from England: Swindon - Rosslare - Dublin - Belfast. I know I can buy a ticket at Connelly via Rosslare. How do I buy the ticket from England? Does anyone know if I can phone Stena and collect a ticket from Swindon ticket machine, to buy the ticket from Swindon. Swindon station can now only sell me the ticket to Rosslare and the single ticket to Belfast looks pricey! I may need to buy the ticket at short notice

IR-Mark4/ICR

22000 should be on all Rosslare services soon. A number of sets entered passenger service over the last few weeks with further over the next few weeks and the final 2 sets scheduled for lather this year but this is not confirmed.

Eire Sprinter

Thinking of travelling from England: Swindon - Rosslare - Dublin - Belfast. I know I can buy a ticket at Connelly via Rosslare. How do I buy the ticket from England? Does anyone know if I can phone Stena and collect a ticket from Swindon ticket machine, to buy the ticket from Swindon. Swindon station can now only sell me the ticket to Rosslare and the single ticket to Belfast looks pricey! I may need to buy the ticket at short notice

Perhaps via the ATW website:

http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/SailRail/

Good to hear that ICRs will be taking over all Rosslare workings soon.

bkhtele

Can't get it to work to Belfast, don't think UK system sells tickets beyond Rosslare anymore, this is a real pity. Makes the journey costly! thanks for your help

Eire Sprinter

No problem.

It is possible to purchase a Rosslare Europort to Belfast Central (or other NI stations) ticket.

I don’t know the fare but it’s possible to fill in the following Irish Rail enquiry form: http://www.irishrail.ie/contact

The Rosslare-Dublin fare matrix may be found here: http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=197&a=265#Dublin%20Connolly%20-%20Rosslare%20Fare%20Grid

It is possible to buy Dublin – Belfast online though there is a €2 transaction fee plus a further €1 for certain card types.

The crux of the lack of through ticketing beyond Rosslare for tickets purchased in England and Wales seems to be ATW’s dissatisfaction with Irish Rail’s current level of train provision to/from the port.

Status
Not open for further replies.