• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Roster Clerk

Cloudflare

Hi

I have an interview for a Roster Clerk role and I am just wondering if there is anyone here who is currently working as a Roster Clerk and can give me an idea of what the job is like and what it involves.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Somewhere

It involves rostering staff. Will you be rostering traincrew? Station staff?

Cloudflare

It involves rostering staff. Will you be rostering traincrew? Station staff?
Hi, the job involves rostering maintenance staff. I know it involves rostering staff but I just wanted an overview of the job and what it's like.

mac

The way I understand it is that you always claim to be rushed off your feet but when things such as Christmas comes you will have time to do 3 weeks rosters at one go but still not have time in them 3 weeks for anything else

Cloudflare

The way I understand it is that you always claim to be rushed off your feet but when things such as Christmas comes you will have time to do 3 weeks rosters at one go but still not have time in them 3 weeks for anything else
I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Is it a busy job or is it not?

Somewhere

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Is it a busy job or is it not?
It the sort of job where you can work at your own pace. I've experienced very competent roster clerks, and those that are not so competent, where others have to pick up the pieces.
A roster clerk has the ability to bring the railway to a stand without even realising it

LowLevel

Established Member
You have to be able to understand other people's terms and conditions and contractual arrangements and roster them to work accordingly. There might be ringing around people to try and get them to change shifts or do overtime to cover gaps. You might have authority to offer inducements or you might not. During periods of sickness, school holidays etc it might be very hectic.

It is walking on eggshells most of the time but getting it right is crucial for all parties so it is generally an under appreciated but essential job.

I've always been lucky enough to have good roster clerks and you certainly know if they drop clangers.

muz379

Established Member
It is walking on eggshells most of the time but getting it right is crucial for all parties so it is generally an under appreciated but essential job.
Completely agreed , I think its often not appreciated that one of the key skills for a Roster Clerk are people skills/ communication skills .

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
You need attention to detail and the ability to be very organised. I’ve seen some very disorganised roster clerks or those who seem to make more mistakes than others and that’s one very easy way to get staff’s backs up and erode trust. Being able to communicate well and explain why the answer to a certain request is “yes” or “no” is also important. You’ll also hopefully get attuned to the certain characteristics of the team you manage (e.g. “no point asking J. Bloggs for overtime whilst P. Smith will take anything going”)

It’s primarily an administrative role understand terms and conditions and processing things like leave, spare shifts and overtime in an organised, reasonable and just manner and ensuring coverage is required and responding to requests from staff and management respectively.

Cloudflare

You need attention to detail and the ability to be very organised. I’ve seen some very disorganised roster clerks or those who seem to make more mistakes than others and that’s one very easy way to get staff’s backs up and erode trust. Being able to communicate well and explain why the answer to a certain request is “yes” or “no” is also important. You’ll also hopefully get attuned to the certain characteristics of the team you manage (e.g. “no point asking J. Bloggs for overtime whilst P. Smith will take anything going”)

It’s primarily an administrative role understand terms and conditions and processing things like leave, spare shifts and overtime in an organised, reasonable and just manner and ensuring coverage is required and responding to requests from staff and management respectively.
Thank you, your comment is very helpful.

You have to be able to understand other people's terms and conditions and contractual arrangements and roster them to work accordingly. There might be ringing around people to try and get them to change shifts or do overtime to cover gaps. You might have authority to offer inducements or you might not. During periods of sickness, school holidays etc it might be very hectic.

I've always been lucky enough to have good roster clerks and you certainly know if they drop clangers.
Thank you, your comment is helpful.