• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rosyth Dockyard Traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future

In the December 2022 TT change, I’ve noticed the addition of a MSSuX return working between Rosyth Dockyard and Inverkeithing Yard. The TSC (train service code) would suggest it is ‘GBRf: MoD Various’ so maybe something to do with the Babcock facilities there. Anyone got any more concrete ideas? Would be nice to see a return to traffic for this line. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roadierway77

Interesting, I don't have any further information but unless it's changed since I last saw it, you'd struggle getting a train down the Dockyard branch now! Don't think it's been used for a good decade and hasn't been maintained, so vegetation has taken hold in most places, some extensive clearance work would have to be undertaken to prepare it for traffic

Future

Don't think it's been used for a good decade
I believe the last train down there was the Class 950 in 2015 sort of time. Having read into it a bit more, construction of the new Type 31 warships started last year there but I see know reason why that would need to be served by rail

stantheman

On Moderation
Would be very surprised if this happened but there are some engineers movements to Inverkeithing Yard around the start date .Coincidence ? Also I cannot see any return trip to Gloucester ?

Last edited by a moderator:

roadierway77

I believe the last train down there was the Class 950 in 2015 sort of time. Having read into it a bit more, construction of the new Type 31 warships started last year there but I see know reason why that would need to be served by rail
Ah interesting, if I remember correctly I think some SR Turbostars were refurbished there at Babcocks around 2010, wasn't aware it saw any use after that

Future

Just noticed the code for the Dockyard on OTT has been changed from ‘SHUT’ to ‘NOGO’. Doubt it means anything though

Attachments

• 4B1DEC9A-3D2D-4603-9FB0-0120D66A68FC.png
    4B1DEC9A-3D2D-4603-9FB0-0120D66A68FC.png
    155.3 KB · Views: 53

Craigpotter

I believe the tunnel under the M90 motorway was filled in during the bridge works for the Queensferry crossing. I think it’s filled with the large foam blocks should allowing removal and reuse if need be. I could be wrong but vaguely remember this mentioned before

sng7

I believe the tunnel under the M90 motorway was filled in during the bridge works for the Queensferry crossing. I think it’s filled with the large foam blocks should allowing removal and reuse if need be. I could be wrong but vaguely remember this mentioned before
Based on this news article I belive it was not the branch to rosyth that was filled in but the older (and dissued for many more years) branch to north queensferry. I think its the one that I have highlighted in this image from the national libraries of scotland georeferenced maps, but I am not certain on that.Inkedcanvas_LI.jpg

John Webb

Established Member
Some interesting images from the Geograph Website - click on photo to go to the larger original on that site. This selection taken from Inverkeithing and heading along the line towards Rosyth.

1984 when the line was still in regular use:
Railway junction at Inverkeithing

© Copyright Albert Bridge and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Taken near the junction with the main line in 2015:
Rosyth Docks railway line

© Copyright Thomas Nugent and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

2014 during road works:
Construction Work at Ferrytoll

© Copyright Robert Struthers and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

March 2022:
Disused railway to Rosyth Dockyard

© Copyright Oliver Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
The photographer's caption says that it has been disconnected at the Inverkeithing end!

2009:
New road at Rosyth

© Copyright M J Richardson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

2015:
Railway near Rosyth Dockyard

© Copyright William Starkey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

September 2022:
Disused railway, Rosyth

© Copyright Richard Webb and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Craigpotter

Based on this news article I belive it was not the branch to rosyth that was filled in but the older (and dissued for many more years) branch to north queensferry. I think it’s the one that I have highlighted in this image from the national libraries of scotland georeferenced maps, but I am not certain on that.View attachment 124303

Just found this link, you are correct it was the old North Queensferry tunnel. Knew a tunnel in that area was infilled around the bridge works time and assumed, wrongly, it was the Rosyth line!

roadierway77

The photographer's caption says that it has been disconnected at the Inverkeithing end!
Interesting, I thought it was still connected as I don't remember seeing the track lifted from my journeys on the Circle, but perhaps I'm wrong or that Inverkeithing South Junction has been left in situ, haven't looked that way out of a train for a while

Nev85

Suspect it may be related to the forthcoming revival of the Rosyth-Zeebruge ferry route per this article

Rail has a part to play in Rosyth to Europe resurgence​

Published on 28-06-2022 at 09:36
Proposals to reconnect a Scottish port with freight ferry services to Europe could hinge on making rail freight part of the mix. That’s the message from stakeholders seeking to establish a direct link between Rosyth on the east coast of Scotland and Zeebrugge on the west coast of Belgium. The ferry service has not run since 2018.

Connecting Scotland with one of the top ten biggest ports in Europe has caught the imagination of Scottish manufacturers and rail freight operators. An agreement between a recently established Scottish maritime management company and international ferry operator DFDS has raised hopes that the time has come for this service. Attempts twice in the past have failed, but backers are hoping for a third time lucky.

Moribund rail freight facilities​

Congestion at ports further down the east coast of Britain has already encouraged rail freight development in places like Immingham and Teesside. Further north, the estuary of the River Forth has been slowly coming back into fashion as a destination for freight traffic. Forth Ports Authority, the operating company, has been expanding operations – primarily at its Grangemouth facility, where the company completed extensive upgrading last year.

However, Forth Ports has two major holdings further downstream, both of which have moribund rail freight facilities. The company operates the docks around Leith, which serves Edinburgh, and manages the Rosyth terminal. The extensive layout at Leith featured in RailFreight Live last year. Now Rosyth is back in the headlines with experienced backers.

Rusty Rosyth rails look attractive​

Rail freight has been touted as a game changer in the Rosyth mix this time around. DFDS, the ferry company previously involved in operating passenger and freight services out of Rosyth, has partnered with Glasgow-based Ptarmigan Shipping to resurrect the connection. “We are always looking for opportunities to grow our network”, said a DFDS Statement. “[We] can confirm that we are investigating the possibility of a new ferry route between Rosyth and Zeebrugge.”

Efforts in the past have floundered on the convenience of road transport to ports further south and availability at terminals like Felixstowe and London Gateway. However, the rising costs of road transport (and the well-publicised driver shortage) is a much more significant factor now. Couple that with busier ports, the zero-carbon political agenda, and the rusty rails at Rosyth look much more attractive. The port is also running to become a Scottish Greenport, offering significant economic advantages.

Multiple opportunities for Fife freight​

Better known as a naval base, Rosyth has been developing as a civilian facility for several years. The advantage of the site lies in its own rail branch line, which was last used regularly for scheduled passenger services in 1988, carrying authorised personnel into the naval base. The line remains in-situ but will require significant upgrading to bring it back into service.

If the Rosyth project was to reach fruition, it would be the second or third recent development proposed in the Fife region of Scotland. The Levenmouth line is already being rebuilt, a five-mile (8km) long branch reconnecting communities and potential freight customers in the east of the county. There are also hopes that the line serving the site of the former coal-fired power station at Longannet in the neighbouring county will be revived if plans for a rolling stock manufacturing plant are realised on that site.

roadierway77

Suspect it may be related to the forthcoming revival of the Rosyth-Zeebruge ferry route per this article
When I originally heard of the plan to resurrect the Zeebrugge ferry I was very doubtful it would work as it hasn't the past two times, but hopefully rail freight may make the new venture more successful - though as I mentioned the branch needs extensive work to be made even passable by trains, let alone ready for regular freight services

John Webb

Established Member
Interesting, I thought it was still connected as I don't remember seeing the track lifted from my journeys on the Circle, but perhaps I'm wrong or that Inverkeithing South Junction has been left in situ, haven't looked that way out of a train for a while
Looking at 'Street View' from Boreland Road bridge in 2021 shows the line indeed remained connected at least to that date. Streetview goes down to the end of the nearby carpark where in 2015 at least there were still operating minature crossing lights on a pedestrian crossing, although the line appears to be cut off by a heavy-duty fence rather than a gate!

AVK17

The docks branch was physically severed during the works for building the Queensferry Crossing. The Temporary Network Change was conditional on it being restored afterwards but I’ve not seen anything to indicate it has happened yet.

John Webb

Established Member
The docks branch was physically severed during the works for building the Queensferry Crossing. The Temporary Network Change was conditional on it being restored afterwards but I’ve not seen anything to indicate it has happened yet.
The third photo "Construction work at Ferrytoll" in my posting #9 above shows the West end of the tunnel/long bridge under the new road. A look at Google maps indicates most of the track is there to the West, but due to overgrowth on the east side of the M90 it is impossible to see if the track exists or not. It is there North of the bridge over Ferryhill Road.

Future

Have there been any rumblings or rumours about these workings?
1678606535032.png
Still showing as ‘SHUT’ so I doubt anything would happen any time soon. However, I don’t think it’s officially mothballed yet. There was talk of re-opening it if some plans went ahead for new stuff at the Babcock facility.

This is what I believe to be the last train down the line (950001) — https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/29/753/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.