• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Round the coast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
I may never do this, but researching it was fun...

I've spent some time looking out a circular route around the coast of Britain, using public transport (train/tram/bus/ferry) and trying to backtrack as little as possible.

Version 1 puts the coasts from Kyle of Lochalsh to Thurso and Elgin-Peterhead-Aberdeen on the backburner for the moment. It involves 128 Network Rail trains (including the Jacobite), 37 buses, 11 ferries, 10 heritage railways and 5 trams. Time has also been allocated to scratch the cliff-lifts at Saltburn and Lynmouth.

The 23 day epic starts and finishes at Blackpool, with overnights enroute at Grange over Sands, Ayr, Oban, Inverness x 2, Seahouses x 2 (family), Whitby, Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Felixstowe, Southend, Seaford, Shanklin, Weymouth, Plymouth, St Mawes, Plymouth again, Taunton, Haverfordwest, Aberystwyth and Llandudno.

Does anyone else get as much fun out of planning trips as actually doing them? :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crispy1978

I may never do this, but researching it was fun...

I've spent some time looking out a circular route around the coast of Britain, using public transport (train/tram/bus/ferry) and trying to backtrack as little as possible.

Version 1 puts the coasts from Kyle of Lochalsh to Thurso and Elgin-Peterhead-Aberdeen on the backburner for the moment. It involves 128 Network Rail trains (including the Jacobite), 37 buses, 11 ferries, 10 heritage railways and 5 trams. Time has also been allocated to scratch the cliff-lifts at Saltburn and Lynmouth.

The 23 day epic starts and finishes at Blackpool, with overnights enroute at Grange over Sands, Ayr, Oban, Inverness x 2, Seahouses x 2 (family), Whitby, Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Felixstowe, Southend, Seaford, Shanklin, Weymouth, Plymouth, St Mawes, Plymouth again, Taunton, Haverfordwest, Aberystwyth and Llandudno.

Does anyone else get as much fun out of planning trips as actually doing them? :)

I love planning things out. I had a route for the Tube Challenge wrote down once but never done it. I also like seeing other people's workings as well if they are happy to share them! :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Planning trips can be immense fun, agreed. Mind you, so can simply going out impulsively and going with the flow!

coastwallker

I tend to do things like this in the winter when it is too cold and yukky to go far.
Many years ago, I planned a similar trip but on foot and then actually started doing it as you can see by my name. The coastal railways have been an essential tool in the walk, as I don't drive so access to the sea is always by train and/or bus. And I enjoy travelling on new lines and through new (to me) stations.
Off to Herne Bay tomorrow to do the next leg of the walk, returning in the evening from Faversham - another new station for me

harry42

I tend to do things like this in the winter when it is too cold and yukky to go far.
Many years ago, I planned a similar trip but on foot and then actually started doing it as you can see by my name. The coastal railways have been an essential tool in the walk, as I don't drive so access to the sea is always by train and/or bus. And I enjoy travelling on new lines and through new (to me) stations.
Off to Herne Bay tomorrow to do the next leg of the walk, returning in the evening from Faversham - another new station for me

Wow! I thought walking LEJOG was bad!

Yes, I love planning things - for example I did a tube challenge plan for somebody else then I did a All Wales Plan for somebody else!

Have you got this plan to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.