• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Round Trip to Glasgow APT film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Question has been asked before on here...

For one reason or another, it seems not to be available on YouTube for persons in the U.K. and/or is possibly taken down, if it previously has been.

P.S. A 14 minute version should be available on DVD later in the year.

Extract...
Disc 2: Kowloon Connection (1979, 20 mins), Life on the Line (1979, 14 mins), Who's in Charge? (1980, 19 mins), Tops for Industry (1981, 14 mins), Round Trip to Glasgow (1982, 14 mins), Robbie - Overhead Electrified Lines (1986, 13 mins), Channel Tunnel (Tomorrow's Way) (1986, 29 mins)

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Question has been asked before on here...

For one reason or another, it seems not to be available on YouTube for persons in the U.K. and/or is possibly taken down, if it previously has been.

P.S. A 14 minute version should be available on DVD later in the year.

Extract...
Good to see another BTF compilation out. I remember seeing Who’s In Charge when I joined the railway,never seen it since. Channel Tunnel (Tomorrows Way) is reputed to be the last film made by BTF.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Wonder whether the forthcoming DVD release has anything to do with the footage disappearing off YouTube?

Cymroglan

I’m afraid this is a bit of a rookie question, but is 14 minutes the full programme or is it a severe edit?
I have tried to establish the answer via search engines but they’re only as effective as the search terms one enters!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I’m afraid this is a bit of a rookie question, but is 14 minutes the full programme or is it a severe edit?
I have tried to establish the answer via search engines but they’re only as effective as the search terms one enters!
Think 14 mins is the full length. Happy to be corrected.

See link...
Extract...
ROUND TRIP TO GLASGOW

British Transport Films 1982 Colour 14 Min

TV personality, Peter Purves, takes a trip on the prototype Advanced Passenger Train. En route he meets some of those responsible for its development and testing.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I've been trying to recall the name of a film I saw on YouTube about the APT a few years ago but is now not in my history, and can clearly remember a snippet of commentary that was "for the first time all week, the APT performs perfectly"... accompanying a soaring shot from the air and optimistic orchestral (or maybe electronic orchestral) music.

Could this be the film that was from?

Buzby

>BBC has objected to it and it has been taken down (not sure why its any of their business but still).

I’ve not seen the film, but I was part of the Glasgow-based crew who shot sequences of the first public run from Glasgow Central to London. We were doing this for the BBC Scotland evening news programme ’Reporting Scotland’. AIUI, this footage was provided by the BBC to BTF as they hadn’t sent a crew that far north. As such, it remained their copyright and any YT copies blocked. I must try to get the DVD!

WesternLancer

Established Member
Yes, very good to see this lovely APT film will be on a new (and it says final which is a shame as there is much unreleased BTF material) BFI Transport Films compilation.

I was pretty sure I had a copy, but suspect - without checking - that this was on one of the BFI BTF vhs video compilations that preceded the DVD series, but are not exact duplicates.

This site is always helpful

see the 'Films' link on the left hand side for the A-Z listing of BTF output - which shows Round Trip to Glasgow was made available on video - listings do not show who by however.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.