• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route of EC 8 Zurich Hamburg

peteb

Currently on EC8 running about 30 late at Dortmund. We're on the single track line via Werne headed to Munster. Does anyone know if this is it's usual route?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Looking at the European Rail Timetable and dredging far back into my memory, this is the normal route or at least a standard alternative one for trains not calling at Hamm. Much of the line between Lünen and Münster is single-track.

peteb

Thanks for the replies, I'd expected to go via Hamm but maybe diverted due to bank holiday? Nice route, 80mph average, scenic too.

Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies, I'd expected to go via Hamm but maybe diverted due to bank holiday? Nice route, 80mph average, scenic too.
Hamburg trains, whether via Essen or via Wuppertal, normally run via Dortmund and direct to Münster, not via Hamm.
RE7 runs Wuppertal-Hamm-Münster

DanielB

Looking up your train at bahn.de it says...

Verkehrstage​

nicht täglich
9. Mai bis 14. Jul 2024; nicht 10. bis 14. Mai 2024, 25. Mai bis 14. Jun 2024
So it looks like your train is having an adjusted route today, though it doesn't appear to make much difference in journey times.

Veteran Member
Looking up your train at bahn.de it says...

So it looks like your train is having an adjusted route today, though it doesn't appear to make much difference in journey times.
I can't see what the adjustment is (over the weekend it goes via Bonn-Beuel and Deutz) but DB now follow the age-old SNCF custom of making tiny alterations :(

peteb

I can't see what the adjustment is (over the weekend it goes via Bonn-Beuel and Deutz) but DB now follow the age-old SNCF custom of making tiny alterations :(
I only got on at Cologne Hbf. It came in from the Bonn direction not from Deutz, and left going over the river through Deutz. It was delayed by signalling faults then by trespassers just north of Cologne (emergency stop....exciting!). Farce continued, losing time all the way to Bremen where I left the train some 52 late. But some very fast running, 200 kph in places, though held up by freight at Osnabrück where there was also an historic train hauled by a deisel hydraulic.