• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routeing Advice - Exeter to Cambridge return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolvercoter

Can anyone please help me with a bit of routeing advice?

I plan to purchase a Exeter St Davids to Cambridge Super Off-Peak Return. I'd like to do the West Anglia route to Cambridge as I haven't been along that line for ages. The return journey will be broken with a family rendezvous at Kew Gardens. Is the following permitted?

Plan for outward journey:
Exeter St D > Paddington > Liverpool St > Cambridge via Bishops Stortford

Plan for return journey:
Cambridge > Hackney Downs > Hackney Central > Kew Gardens > Richmond > Reading via Bracknell > Exeter St D.

Thanks muchly!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
Didn't ought to be anything wrong with that. Are you specifically wanting to take that route on the return or is the main aim to break your journey at Kew Gardens? A change at Highbury and Islington would give you a faster journey.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
It's not a permitted route for the return journey as the only mapped route from Cambridge to Exeter is LONDON, yet you are (technically!) avoiding London. I suppose there must be quite a few similar examples too; it's quite silly that it's not permitted.

robbeech

Established Member
I can get a range of journey planners to give me it as an option though making it valid on that count, but i agree about the maps (now i have looked).

Wolvercoter

It's not a permitted route for the return journey as the only mapped route from Cambridge to Exeter is LONDON, yet you are (technically!) avoiding London. I suppose there must be quite a few similar examples too; it's quite silly that it's not permitted.

I can get a range of journey planners to give me it as an option though making it valid on that count, but i agree about the maps (now i have looked).

Thanks for the advice. We are planning this route to avoid central London but also wanting to see family for a day out at Kew.

I think I will just use my Oyster Card from Hackney Central to Kew Gardens bit and pick up train from Richmond later in the day.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.