• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routeing Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintonian

Established Member
Whilst saying where it is may be possible, telling people how to use it (when even people on this forum cannot agree) is asking a lot. That said, most ticket office staff will access it through The Manual, which is not available to the public, and may not know it is freely available on the ATOC website.

Well I did say brief! - Meaning basic principles.

Perhaps ATOC might like to complicate it so everyone can understand and agree on it. ;) whilst still trying to maintain all the 'reasonable routes' that are supposed to be retained?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

barrykas

Established Member
The instructions given in Section A are perfectly clear, even if the examples in Section F are outdated (and, in some cases, contradict the instructions)!

cjp

Anything useful or interesting come out of your meetings / our suggestions?

Eg they are now goung to call restrictions "a restriction" rather than "a negative easement"?

Sorry to be pushy jonniecache and being aware that you said you going to be leaving Southern but did your paper on easements lead to any changes or did the fabled and overdue Basemaps make it all redundant?

I could have PM'd you but I thought others might be interested in the answer:)

Last edited:

johnnycache

I have indeed left Southern now. I shared the various easements that were suggested with the people at ATOC (actually its done by NRE) but as you suggest it turned out not to be particularly appropriate to present them in a paper as a major exercise was about to start to convert the routeing guide into its new format which will (in due course) be publicly available. The position when i left was that a beta version of the new routeing guide had been distributed to train operators for review. It was clear that the old system was not simply going to map onto the new system and lots of changes would be required including perhaps the creation of many more routeing points. Hopefully we'll end up with a system that enables both staff and passengers to understand what they are entitled to do and which preserves most routeing options while getting rid of the silly ones. I was assured at the ATOC Fares and Retail Group that there was an audit trail of all changes and that the regulations would be fully complied with in every case. I think there is a role for this forum in scrutinising the new guide when it is made public and offering constructive criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.