• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routeing Question (Sunderland-London)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt15sb

Quite new to the Routeing Guide, so trying to get an understanding on how it works. Here's what I've found and just trying to see if what I've read is being understood correctly:

1. I hold an super off-peak return from London to Sunderland http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=KGX&dest=SUN&grpo=1072&rlc=YNG&tkt=SSR

2. On the return, I'm curious if I can overnight break of journey at Leeds. In terms of timing, this seems to be fine with the month-long validity, but is Leeds a permitted route?

3. So I check the Routeing Guide, first the pink pages, to show that Sunderland is Middlesbrough Group or Newcastle and King's Cross is London Group.

4. Go to the yellow pages:
  • Middlesbrough permitted to London: AT, TE, YM+EY
  • Newcastle permitted to London: AA, TY, YA+EY

5. I plug these codes into the routeing maps, and all of the codes show a map going through Leeds. Thus, it seems to be an overnight break in Leeds is OK as long as I adhere to the off-peak restrictions into London the next day.

Am I doing this correctly? Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
If the map says it's okay, do it. But I would print or download the map if possible as evidence you're allowed to do so. You never know if a ticket inspector is in a bad mood.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Travel via Leeds is perfectly valid, and I would be surprised if you had any problems.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
That's all correct; the other thing you have to check is that your route doesn't double back through any stations, so e.g. you couldn't go to Leeds via York as you would then be doubling back between Leeds and York after resuming your journey towards Sunderland. But I'm sure that's fairly obvious.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You forgot to check which routeing point out of Middlesbrough, Newcastle or both is 'appropriate'. This is done by the fares check that's described in the Routeing Guide instructions, or this ATOC tool if you can get it to work

Status
Not open for further replies.