• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routing London - Derby via Grantham

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
Sorry, my routing guide knowledge is near zero...

Is a London Terminals - Derby Any Permitted super off peak return valid via Grantham?

I'm likely to have an outward journey from St Pancras via Nottingham, and return via Grantham into London Kings Cross.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Sorry, my routing guide knowledge is near zero...

Is a London Terminals - Derby Any Permitted super off peak return valid via Grantham?

I'm likely to have an outward journey from St Pancras via Nottingham, and return via Grantham into London Kings Cross.

Thanks in advance!
No, London (LON) to Derby (DBY) is only valid via Rugby or via Kettering.

LON to Nottingham (NOT) is, however, valid via Grantham (GRA) (as well as via Kettering).

Both DBY and NOT are valid via the other to get to LON (i.e. you can do LON-DBY via NOT or LON-NOT via DBY).

So you can't quite do what you're proposing on a single ticket to either DBY or NOT, because to go LON-DBY via NOT you have to get a DBY ticket, but to return via GRA you need a NOT ticket.

A ticket to Chesterfield is slightly more expensive but would definitely permit you to do what you're proposing in one ticket.

Depending on what kind of ticket you're after (Super Off-Peak etc.) it may be cheaper than buying a LON-NOT ticket for the validity via GRA, and then buying a NOT-DBY return to cover you between those two.

(You'd need the extra NOT-DBY ticket because if you used your LON-NOT return portion to cover you from NOT-DBY on the outward journey, you couldn't then use it to return to LON via GRA, because you have to stick with a permitted route once you choose it for a given ticket portion.)

CC 72100

Established Member
That's perfect, thank you for that.

The reason why I asked is because I was aware of the London to Nottingham being valid via Grantham.

Taking it all into account, I think I will therefore go for a LON - NOT Super off peak Return, and buying the NOT-DBY return separately, as you've suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.